100 yard results--work to do

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ART

Reaction score
trying to get new 50 cal. Penn rifle sighted in for deer hunting--rear sight is adjustable and is in last (low) spot--these are the last 6 shots taken using 70 grns Goex in barrel and same 3f in pan (3 shots of dispenser). Holding @ 6 o'clock on all six--#1 is top left out of target in the cardboard, got better going down but still left--as you can see I need to nudge front sight left and file it down--the sight picture was the horns and front sight horizontal as picture shows--filing front sight down etc may put me on 100 yards and I assume if I ever need more range I can move the rear sight up a notch? Anyway have not found a place to continue sighting in yet--gun season 3 weeks away.Any cmments are most welcome as I find myself more tentative as I get older, dislike big screw-ups as some may be costly fixes.  

100_yard_practice.jpg

sight_picture-maybe.jpg

used bipod as rest, sitting w/pod against table

Art work on the filing, don't take to much off then move sight and more testing. Good luck.

If you want it to shoot lower and the rear sight is all the way down. You need a taller front sight. Don't file it! Of course what it will do at 100yds might be perfect as is. You'll have to try it to know for sure.

Do you want to hunt with the 6'oclock hold? If not, you'll need a taller front sight for sure.

another thought is that those sights don't seem like a good match. With the narrow front sight there is a lot of room in the rear sight to be off, shooting left or right. I think that front sight would be better with a buckhorn rear sight where the top of the front sight would be in the notch in the bottom of the rear sight.

x2, if you need to shoot lower, you will need a taller front sight to bring POI down.

Accuracy wise, it looks like you are doing a fine job.

About the best I can do at 100 yards is around 4".  But I figure if I can keep the shots on a paper plate at that range, I'll be okay.

x3.  Taller front sight.  "FORS" = Front Opposite Rear Same.  Helps me remember which way to go.

Depending on the type of rear sight, there are some things you might consider.  You have to get the rear sight picture lower.  Some options that don't include the front sight:

Remove the rear sight and file off the bottom where it is being stopped from being lower. You'd have to look and see if you enough meat to play with.  But at 100 yards, it won't take but maybe .025"?  If you do this:  go slow.  You can't put the metal back as easy as it comes off.  This option is about the last thing I would do.

OR:  Is the rear sight use one of those little stair steps under the rear?   Then your could file some off of that last stair step.  

OR:  File off some of that horrible tall rear sight "horns' sticking up.  That would be easy and solve your delima quick.  At 100 yards, might not take much.  Go slow.  Can't put it back!

OR:  A combination of all of the above. 

OR:  Change your load a tad.  A little heavier or lower charge might change the POI just enugh.  I'd try this first.  But you have fairly accurate load, hate to mess that up.

FrontierGander said:
x2, if you need to shoot lower, you will need a taller front sight to bring POI down.

Accuracy wise, it looks like you are doing a fine job.
Ditto, keep working at it Art.

Back