16 twist 45 caliber remigton 700

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's intersting that with a little work the 16 twist has shot everything I've thrown at it 180 and 225s from 40 grains to 53 grains Fairly well.

It shouldn't shoot the light bullets but the results are intersting for sure.

Im learnin more each time I shoot but I have more questions I need to answer.

The gun shoots better than I do.
It's been a challenge to rebuild the position after each shot.

More work is in order to find out the limits
I believe the next step is to go up in bullet weight. I hypothesize the heavy bullets shoot better
On To the 250 and 275.

Had a few minutes after lunch and headed back down the hill to the range.
This morning I stopped because I just couldn't get comfortable behind the gun..
So I got out my drag bag and went to ground.
Shot prone with 53.1 grains of imr 4198. Fed215m 225 402 furry HLB
Bullets sized to A consistent .4020 for 20lbs load force.
The load on paper looked good but my bench shooting has been just ok lately.
And we'll bad today.
Here is the 5 shot group. Prone.Ballistic-X-Export-2024-03-16 16_16_13.428570.jpg

Had a few minutes after lunch and headed back down the hill to the range.
This morning I stopped because I just couldn't get comfortable behind the gun..
So I got out my drag bag and went to ground.
Shot prone with 53.1 grains of imr 4198. Fed215m 225 402 furry HLB
Bullets sized to A consistent .4020 for 20lbs load force.
The load on paper looked good but my bench shooting has been just ok lately.
And we'll bad today.
Here is the 5 shot group. Prone.View attachment 42532
Great shoot'n

Incredible plastic shooting,16 twist barrel is showing such promise. You might have to shoot four or five more groups like that ,you'll have those bore rider guys putting speed dial to Harvester on their phone.
Well I don't know about that.
Plastic ain't for everyone. It has its pros and cons.
It takes a little work to get them going but I've found a few constants that seem to hold true day in and day out.
With different bullets and velocities.
Sizing bullets seamed to help.
My barrel liked .402 diameter that more importantly gave Me 20lbs of bore pressure.
Seating preasure of just slightly above bore preasure around 25pnds seams to work the best for me. You get a feel for when the bullet sets down.
It's kinda nice when it all comes together.

Yeah I don't think I want them bore rider guys buying up all the HLBs I hope we can keep this quiet lol
Just imagine how good a guy could get reading the wind shooting a $1.50 bullet with a .47 B.C. shooting a .25 moa capable rifle.
Verses the guy shooting a $5.00 bullet
Seams to me the prior would spend the same money but shoot 3 times as much
I could shoot the 40 on Saturday at the match and hunt on Sunday in 40 or 45 caliber. With the same rig.
Who could posible want any of that....
It's not for everyone.
For me it's about economics. You learn so much over a vast volume of shots.
It takes about the same number of shots to get there. Man I wonder what the better bullets would do ??
Or bore riders??
Time will tell.......

Last edited:
I have had decent results with the Harvester xtp180 grain. $11/15 & comes in the HLBS - has anyone shot some critters with this 1? This was in a pacnor 1/22 twist barrel.

I have had decent results with the Harvester xtp180 grain. $11/15 & comes in the HLBS - has anyone shot some critters with this 1? This was in a pacnor 1/22 twist barrel.
Here's a link to Ron's bullet tests that was done. It might give you some idea how they might do.

Shot some furry 240 ot .401 some furry .402 250 star tips and .402 275 star tips.
Horrible day at the range. It started so well with a cold bore shot right were it should have hit. Would have been in yesterday's group..
It unraveled quickly after that
My age is catching up with me prone was painful so I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and build a bench
The 275 looks promising over the chrono with 5 shot SD of 7
My barrel probably needs a deep clean good scrubbing I probably let it go to far.
Around 30 shots since my last clean.
Getting old ain't for the weak.
I'm hurting now got to take a break and some Tylenol
Might be time to take a breather been shooting almost every day.
Best group today around 1 moa
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-03-17 17_19_34.362159.jpg

My age is catching up with me prone was painful so I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and build a bench

Getting old ain't for the weak.
You just starting to realize that? :)

Since I had my medical issues, age has really caught up with me at 72 now. I have a terrible time getting into and out of the prone position when at Atterbury. If it weren't for the other guys helping, I'd be lucky to finish within the time limit.
The surgeon has me going back to PT and I had my first new visit last week. After the PT checked my range of motion and strength, it shows up pretty bad how weak the knee and hip are.
You're absolutely correct.......... Getting old isn't for the weak.

You just starting to realize that? :)

Since I had my medical issues, age has really caught up with me at 72 now. I have a terrible time getting into and out of the prone position when at Atterbury. If it weren't for the other guys helping, I'd be lucky to finish within the time limit.
The surgeon has me going back to PT and I had my first new visit last week. After the PT checked my range of motion and strength, it shows up pretty bad how weak the knee and hip are.
You're absolutely correct.......... Getting old isn't for the weak.
Well you got me by some 19 years
I hope I make it in one piece.
I just couldn't get comfortable and build a solid position.
Not a fun day
Should have just stopped.
I couldn't wait to be done
It's supposed to be fun.....

Back