209 Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have noticed a pretty significant range in the length of Winchester primers and I'm thinking about switching. Are the CCI and the Federal primers any better as far as being more consistent in length? I could use a little less crush as well so the slightly shorter CCI and Federal primers will be perfect in my shimmed Knight Disc breech plug. I know CCI and Federal are both shorter than Winchester.

CCI s are more uniform in length than the Winchesters. Don’t know about the Feds. The shims can be removed from the breech plug with a dental tool.

Are the CCI and the Federal primers any better as far as being more consistent in length?

Yes, some more consistent. They are some shorter on average. The Remington STS primers are the most consistent in length; they are the shortest.

For me the same breech plug can be used for the CCI, CCIm and the Federal 209a primers, and produce a perfect seal. The STS primers require a different breech plug to make a perfect seal. The W209 primers require one to measure them, and separate them, because they vary so.

Thanks everyone. I was measuring and separating the Winchesters looking for the shortest. I found more outside my preferred length than inside. I figured now is a good time to switch to CCI or Federal.

Thanks everyone. I was measuring and separating the Winchesters looking for the shortest. I found more outside my preferred length than inside. I figured now is a good time to switch to CCI or Federal.
I personally never liked the Winchesters because I had problems with them in the past and really lost confidence in them. I now only use Federal 209A's and never a problem.

Guys, I thought the stamped thickness of the primer was what's important since the bolt and nipple meet there. Could someone help me understand this better.
Thanks!

I just bought a 1K brick from Midway USA. I will be using Federal 209A with my Omegas and Model 700's

Guys, I thought the stamped thickness of the primer was what's important since the bolt and nipple meet there. Could someone help me understand this better.
Thanks!
The overall length(or height) of the 209 is important so it can seal from the bolt face to the bottom of the primer pocket. Too short and it won't seal tight enough to stop blowby and can lead to misfires with bh209.

I just bought a 1K brick from Midway USA. I will be using Federal 209A with my Omegas and Model 700's

If you are using the factory breech plug in your Omega (s) you will experience blow by around the 209A primers. One can use the longest measuring W209 primers to make a good seal, but they have become hard to come by. The W209 primers measuring 0.304" are long enough to make a good seal. The W209 primers measuring 0.302" may make a good seal. Any primer 0.300" or shorter will fail to seal.

The 209A primers are normally about 0.297" long, and won't seal well in the Omega factory breech plug. The solution is to purchase a breech plug from Bestill (Jeff Fisk). He will custom fit his plug to your Omega rifles, and the Federal 209A primers.

[email protected]

Thankfully just one of Jeff' plug will work in all the Omega rifles, if he fits the primer and plug to the one Omega you have with the largest head space. Omega head space is very consistent; they all are virtually the same.

If you are using the factory breech plug in your Omega (s) you will experience blow by around the 209A primers. One can use the longest measuring W209 primers to make a good seal, but they have become hard to come by. The W209 primers measuring 0.304" are long enough to make a good seal. The W209 primers measuring 0.302" may make a good seal. Any primer 0.300" or shorter will fail to seal.

The 209A primers are normally about 0.297" long, and won't seal well in the Omega factory breech plug. The solution is to purchase a breech plug from Bestill (Jeff Fisk). He will custom fit his plug to your Omega rifles, and the Federal 209A primers.

[email protected]

Thankfully just one of Jeff' plug will work in all the Omega rifles, if he fits the primer and plug to the one Omega you have with the largest head space. Omega head space is very consistent; they all are virtually the same.

ok good information. appreciate it. I sent him an email. I'm not a fan of blowback.

Last edited:
IMG_5698.JPG

Photo shows Bestill' Omega plug with STS primer in place. Photo 2 shows Bestill' plug with tungsten carbide insert with the flash hole. Flash holes in Bestill' plugs won't erode away any time soon.

IMG_5702.JPG

IMG_5697.JPG

Photo shows the Bestill plug milled to fit the 209a primer.

IMG_5696.JPG

Photo shows factory Omega plug with a 0.305" long W209 primer in place. This primer plug combination make for a great seal with zero blow by.

IMG_5695.JPG

Last photo shows factory Omega plug with o-ring in place with 0.298" long W209 in place. This combination results in zero blow by.

Back