240 gr bullet for elkl?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WA. Smoke

Reaction score
Hey guys, newbie here, but not to frontstuffing.

I've recently switched from using a 295gr Power Belt to a sabot from precision's Dead Center line up in 300gr bullet. I have plenty of faith in a 300gr bullet on elk. But who's killed with lighter weights???

The Dead cnter is supposed to be one heck of a penetrator!!!! I like two holes in elk! I'll have to shoot them but I'm wondering if I can extend my range and still rely on the Dead Center to pound elk with a 240 gr bullet?

Put this in the wrong forum my first try. :)

First off.. I have no experience with elk and sabots. Still to me, 240 grain seems a little light weight. Not that it might not work, but I personally would go a little larger.

This is an interesting question.

Used a 224grain Round Ball on my elk last week. She only went 60 yards after the 140 yard shot.

With a round ball you dont have to worry about it fragmenting like a HP bullet.

I've killed lots of moose and elk with 250 grain SST. Plenty of bullet.

http://www.prbullet.com/pts.htm

Here's a link to my new ammo. I've hammered a hand full of elk with 295gr Power Belts. The elk are dead... But they mushroom to the size of a quarter and all have rested against the hide on broadside shoots. Hunt and live the "southwetside" in washington. Thick brush and lots of rain. I need more blood.

Using 110 grs of 777 my max yardage is a 14" drop at 150yds. I'd love to extend that to at least 175yds. I think the 240 grs will get me there.

I'm very impressed with the accuracy and they load darn easy for a sabot.

I lost aceptable accuracy with the Powerbelts when I switched to 777 from pryodex rs select.

CLICKBOOM, what about the Barnes 250 Gr.TMZ.Say sight it in to 2-1/2" 3" High @100 yards with the 777 load?They may cost a bit more.But boy do they leave alot of blood.Not going to come apart like the Power Belts either.
PS: If i sight mine Knight .50 cal in like that with those Barnes bullets and that powder charge Bullet Drop at 175 yards is only about 6 inches Low @ 175 and it is still kicking butt

Well. I have no real experience with Elk but my BIL killed an Elk with his Savage and 250 XTP @ 90 yds that was a complete pass thru.. But he had a mv over 300 fps more they you can attain.

I would seriosly recommend you stay with the heavier bullets. While a lighter bullet may shoot flatter in the short run, as distances increase that extra mass and better BC are exactly what you need to punch through something like an Elk.

I would recommend an OMEGA style reticle in your scope and practice at extended ranges or sight your MZ 3" high and see where you are out to 150-200 yds.

Good luck!

It's a penetration issue with the lighter bullets. A longer bullet will have a higher sectional density, so either go with a heavier bullet or the same weight bullet in a smaller diameter. Requiring full penetration on an elk at long range with ML is a asking a lot. My personal preferance for elk is the 300 gr bullet. A high BC cullet will retain more velocity at long range to get better bullet performance.

jeepers guys I don' know how tough you think elk are! :shock:
I've killed them with everything from a 117 grain bullet out of a 25/06 to a 400 grain bullet out of a 416 Rigby. There is only so dead you can make em. :lol:
Too bad on the all lead rule, Dead centers wouldn't be a first choice (or second or third...) for me and I doubt you will get passthroughs.

I'm just throwing this out, I don't know if they'd be legal or not, but you might want to look at the Hornady FPB. 350 grain, good shape for BC, and no sabot required. Again, it would depend on whether your state would allow them or not.

I haven't really used all lead in a sabot. This is just an idea, but would a SWC work? The BC doesn't look to good, but it is a thought. It looks like Speer offers a 240gr in 44 cal and 250gr in 45 cal. Hornady offers a 240gr in 44 cal. Does a SWC fragmant at higher velocities?

If you are looking for extended range of the shot you bring up another factor. At longer range the accuracy gets less specific. I agree that the lighter bullets will work just fine if you precisely place them. If however you do not get the exact placement and manage to hit something like a shoulder bone the heavier bullet at extended range would give a much better chance of anchoring the elk. I have only shot a few with 300gr. bullets of various designs and they all made passthroughs but the range was only 100 yards or less and the loads were 90gr. or less. Whether the elk drops depends a lot on exactly where you hit and if the elk knows that you are there. When they know they are being pursued they can go very long distances with killing shots. I had one with a double lung shot and a lung liver shot taken when she was running and both were complete passthroughs and she went almost another 300 yards before a head shot finally put her on the ground. She saw me and knew I was after her.

A lighter bullet will have less penetration at longer yardage. I would probably use a 300gr. I am hunting elk later this year and briefly considered using my deer load, but then decided on the 300gr instead. You have to make sure you get past the shoulder bone and then some if you happen to miss your shot a bit. At closer range (100-150) yards, it probably won't matter, but if you go out past that you have a higher risk of just injuring the animal. I had ~6 inches drop at 200 yards with a 100 yard zero (using my Leupold ulimateslam) and 120 BH209 shooting the 300gr Hornady SST/ML.

285 gr. Barnes Spitfire MZ....tough enough bullet for any critter.

However, with the all lead rule I'd go with the T/C maxiball in 370 gr. it's a brutal all lead penetrator. I realize dead is dead but having extra insurance for non broadside shots is nice, too

A 200gr 50/40 Shock Wave, a 300gr SW or a 300 gr Gold Dot or a Barnes or 290 or 300gr copper or A frame or partition. You need a bullet with enough SD or the right type of construction to get enough penetration.
I would not use the 240 gr 45cal for any thing bigger than deer. Lee

Back