240 gr bullet for elkl?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, DC's are effective. But an exit is unlikely as Omega has pointed out. A very soft bullet and under 300 most likely will not exit.

Think about the 375gr Buffalo Sabot or SSB.. They are all lead bthp's..

omega said:
jeepers guys I don' know how tough you think elk are! :shock:
I've killed them with everything from a 117 grain bullet out of a 25/06 to a 400 grain bullet out of a 416 Rigby. There is only so dead you can make em. :lol:
Too bad on the all lead rule, Dead centers wouldn't be a first choice (or second or third...) for me and I doubt you will get passthroughs.

8)

416 Rigby... LOL
Was that a depleted uranium round? :lol:

Maybe our elk wear a bigger size of this---

k9police.jpg

I've never shot elk but I love to shoot Lead bullets with Sabots on Deer. Specifically I have used the Knight 310 Grain lead bullet/sabot combo for several years. I have never recoverd one either. I have always had pass throughs on Deer. I plan to try the 300 Dead Center this season on Deer over 100 grains of 2F 777, shoots just as accurate as the Knight in my MK95. Since this is my first try with the Dead Center, If I had to pick a Saboted bullet that was lead I would Load up the Knight 310 and go hunting with complete faith in it. I am like the others and with the lead bullets I would stick to the 300 or larger. It will come closer to a pass through than a lighter bullet.

ShawnT

I've used the 250DC only, I was unimpressed with the performance until I got out beyond 100 yards and then I started getting passthroughs.
The old timers here will recognize this picture. This is off a bull moose at 210 yards and a 250 grain SST.
Shoulder%20blade.jpg

What do the dead centers do within 100yds??

Guys don't get me wrong here as I'm not looking to shoot elk out to 200yds. Would I? If I could reach that far and not drop more than 16 inches and ballistics said I had the energy. I use the same bullet for deer and elk. Most shots are 100yds or less.

I think I grab some 260gr DC's and see how close the POI is compared to the 300gr at 100yds. I'd be tickled pink if it was the same!! :)

I'll finish this year with the 300gr. Hope to smoke an elk in the morning!!

Latest posts

Back