250 Grain Shockwave

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lee 9 sent these 250 grain shockwave bullets without sabot, for us to look at. The powder charge is 50 grain Blackhorn (37.5g weight).

IMG_3632.JPG

The distance from the muzzle to the horse is 25 yard.

IMG_3635.JPG

The bullet was caught by the sixth bottle.

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3639.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

Not much better than the Barnes TEZ. Sure a lot different result than the 300 grain SST. Have you shot this one with 80 grains Volume yet?Just curious what sabot you shot this one with?

To think, there are people still sending their kids to the woods with 50 grains VOLUME Blackhorn 209, or worse yet year(s) old 1 (50 gr BP equiv) Pyrodex Pellet or 1 (50 gr BP equiv) Triple Se7en Pellet (approximately 40 gr Blackhorn 209 equiv) behind this bullet sitting in the Super Glide/EZ-Slide sabots. And they are shooting deer out to 100 yards with them.

Then they want to blame the bullet for not expanding. Happens every year! Ironically, the deer are recovered, along with the underexpanded bullets posted here, but how many aren't?

Thanks for posting your findings.

Ron, it's almost at the point of worthless to test tipped bullets with 50grV (1250fps).
Curiosity has gotten to the point - when will they stop performing? Especially, some of the more popular tipped bullets.
80grV will yield 1750fps - so it seems logical that 65grV would yield very close to 1500fps. (although probably not exactly linear).

Busta said:
Not much better than the Barnes TEZ.

To think, there are people still sending their kids to the woods with 50 grains VOLUME Blackhorn 209

Here's a shortened version of a harvest post I made in 2012, people need to put a limit on how far to shoot vs load limitations. Have a kid get scoped kissed or get recoil shy and their hunting days could be over.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9 yrs old
TC 50 cal Impact
60gr BH209
Barnes 250gr TMZ
CCI209M primer
Nikon Omega scope
35 yard shot off of shooting sticks

The wound on the deer's side is the exit hole, the entrance hole is just touching the back edge of the front shoulder, he made a great shot which took out the heart and both lungs. The doe either took a step at the shot or she was quartering towards us a little more than I thought.

BuckDoeHunter said:
Busta said:
Not much better than the Barnes TEZ.

To think, there are people still sending their kids to the woods with 50 grains VOLUME Blackhorn 209

Here's a shortened version of a harvest post I made in 2012, people need to put a limit on how far to shoot vs load limitations. Have a kid get scoped kissed or get recoil shy and their hunting days could be over.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9 yrs old
TC 50 cal Impact
60gr BH209
Barnes 250gr TMZ
CCI209M primer
Nikon Omega scope
35 yard shot off of shooting sticks

The wound on the deer's side is the exit hole, the entrance hole is just touching the back edge of the front shoulder, he made a great shot which took out the heart and both lungs. The doe either took a step at the shot or she was quartering towards us a little more than I thought.

I must have struck a chord with you, since you went out of your way to take my statements out of context, to make an apples to oranges comparison?

Since you bothered, I'll bother to critique your post, but I won't take it out of context.

Agree 100% on limits on distance vs load limitations. 35 yards is a far cry from out to 100 yards. That was covered in the full context.

We were not discussing the Barnes TMZ and their sabots. It was 250 grain Shockwave in the Super Glide sabots.

Putting a 9 year old behind a scoped muzzleloader before you know how they handle recoil, might not be in your or their best interest. 9 year olds usually have good enough vision where they could shoot open/peep sights out to 50 yards without a problem. They could also shoot a little more powder if there is no scope to worry about. Shooting is not hunting, but hunting sometimes involves shooting.

60 grains V of Blackhorn 209 is approximately 150 FPS faster than 50 grains V with a 250 gr bullet in a snug fitting sabot. Can be even more than that, if the provided Super Glide sabot is used with the latter.

I've used this 250 gr Shockwave bullet and it's sister bullets 200 gr, 300 grShockwave as well as 200, 250, 300 gr SST's with 80+ grains by VOLUME of various powders (Blackhorn 209, Pyrodex, Triple Se7en, Black Mag'3), so I know how they perform on game with enough powder. 100% for me. I don't use pellets, or powder charges below 80 grains by VOLUME with Blackhorn 209. I don't use the Super Glide/EZ Load Sabots either.

I have been doing my own bullet torture tests with 80 grains by VOLUME of the previously mentioned powders at 50 yards for the last 10-15 years. I don't hunt with bullets that fail my torture test, so that should tell you something.

Anyways, I commend you for getting that young man out hunting, and for making sure the shot distance and load limitations are not exceeded.

This test Run conducts, and my torture test would neither qualify as a simulation on live game, but both test are conducted the same for all bullets, and test their mettle, so to speak. You know your bullet works where it counts, just like I know mine work where it counts. They all have their limitations, and that goes for both ends of the spectrum.

50 grains by VOLUME or 1 50 grain pellet is well below my lower limitation for propelling any bullet, saboted or otherwise, for hunting any big game, even under 50 yards.

Lots of bullets have failed Rons test with 50 grain V charges. It's usually a much different different story when tested with 80 grain V charges.

Just because a bullet fails this test, does not mean it's going to fail on real muscle tissue, bones, organs, and bodily fluids. I look at it as a reference, to keep people above the possible threshold of failure in game, and nothing more. Likewise, it doesn't mean it won't. It isn't scripture, and nobody should get butt hurt over the outcome, just because their bullet of choice might not have did as well as they expected, or hoped for. It should make you think twice before reducing your load too far, or shooting game at distances beyond the bullets minimum FPS capability.

Back