3 Deer. 3 Misfires. With BH209! Question.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smokin' Joe said:
Glad you found the problem!

I'm curious....you can smell deer at 100 yards?  That's a pretty good smeller you got there.  :D

Better luck next time!
I have no idea how far away the deer that I smelled were. There was some thick stuff around me. I think I CAN smell deer in the rut at 100 yards, with the right wind and humidity, but I think these deer were much closer. And I think there were a lot of them.

Most anyone with an unclogged nose can smell rutting bucks (except smokers). The bucks stink.

I smelled a boar hog this morning when I was going through a palmetto patch. I backed out of there - PRONTO. My rifle wouldn't have done me much good since I couldn't see more than 2 feet in front of me.

I have "smelled up" gut shot deer during bow season when the wind was right. One had bled out completely and cutting its throat didn't do anything except make it squirm more. A .22 short in the brain did the trick.

"Sometimes what we do isn't pretty, but all in all, it is beautiful."

--Me

use cci primers. inlarge your flash hole slightly. put a nine mm pistol case full of 3f black under the 209 powder. you will never ever have a missfire again. some inlines are fussy, mine isnt. yours is. if you do what i wrote, you will get your deer, when you see it. a shooter needs to know the gun will go off ever time, thats a given.

If i were having that much trouble with a powder i would stop using the stuff. 

A friend of mine is a fine hunter who used Pyrodex  for 25 years.  Last year he switched to BH 209 and a misfire cost him an elk.   This year he's back to Pyrodex.

In fairness, I was told that a dirty flash channel will cause misfires and hangfires. I had a filthy flash channel due to, really, stupidity (and assumptions), and perhaps a tiny bit of laziness on my part. Maybe old eyes, too, not seeing how much carbon I had in there.

I'm never had any problem until last winter's "wet incident" and I can't say that I didn't have a dirty flash channel then, either. I have been very lax with that cleaning--mostly because in my pea brain, I was thinking in terms of actual shots through the gun not shot primers, which I've begun doing more rigorously. I counted W209 primers shot and there were 35 of them. Add the Fiocchi's and I shot a lot of primers through the gun without registering that that was fouling my BP. <smh>.

When I cleaned that flash channel out, I got enough carbon to fill the whole channel and primer pocket up, and then some!

I think I gotta give the BH209 the benefit of the doubt.

M

if your ever around where wild sheep are you would have to be dead to not smell them. it will make your nose almost sting. also when your out in the woods and you go by a rock face and you think it smells  like a tomcat that sleeps in your garage, its a bigger cat that a kitty cat. mountain lions smell the same. ive been told bears smell like pigs in a pig yard, dont  know if that correct or not. the thing that stinks the most for me is a huge rattlesnake that has been cut in half with a 12 gauge shotgun. in side was a rat. their are no words for that one.

Cottonmouths smell like a brim bed .. real fishy. (For you Yankees, brim are bluegill, sunfish, warmouths, etc.)

That fishy smell has kept me from being bitten several times.

DRILL OUT PLUG WITH <a href='/tags/55' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #55'>#55</a> DRILL USE BLACK POWDER OR 777

Yup. everything that shines ,is not always real gold. That's why I recommend ,and stick with , the real thing.But , even with a hang fire , if your doing your job, it should still draw blood.I hang around some hot flinchlock shooters. You won't put these fellows down with a simple hanger.Learn what follow through is. You can have this with a perc. gun also ,so learn how to shoot what you have.Shoot, shoot , shoot, that's how you learn what you have. Try to make troubles, and learn.I'm not putting anyone down, been there myself , down that, that's why I'm trying to help you and save you the heart break. A person don't get that many chance's , it's a shame to waste them.

Back