3 times bitten / now shy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1

Reaction score
I took the Encore out yesterday to shoot for the first time with the new stock and scope.
I got the Leatherwood / Hi Lux Toby Bridges ML scope. and the Stocky's thumbhole stock.

DSCF0008.jpg

I have different scope mount and rings than pictured.

I started at 20 yards to get on paper then went to 50 yards.
on the first three shots The scope hit me on the bridge of my nose HARD.
The rest of the day I was scared of it and it made my bad flinch even worse.
I guess I need to adjust the eye relief but I have never had this problem before.I set it up just like all the others I have.

Do you think the new stock has something to do with it.
Maybe a shorter Length of pull or putting me in a different position further up the cheek piece.
I shot ok for my skill level,nothing to take pictures of but if I had been hunting all shots would have resulted in a kill so nothing to bad but that is not acceptable to me.
I owe it to the animals I hunt to be accurate and confidant.

I was shootin 2 Pyrodex pelletts (I have hundreds of pelletts and want to shoot them up) 250 grain yellow tip black sabot Shockwave and a W-209 primer.
No miss or hang fires.
I used a alcohol spit patck(1 side) and a dry patch (1 side) between shots.

I like the scope,the optic's are clear and the retical is non cluttered and easy to aquire the target.

I moved back to 100 yards and still shot ok,no prob for hunting but I am not happy with my shooting and feel that I may need some instruction during the off season.
I have tried to cure these problems on my own but to no avail.
Now I am shy of the scope hitting me.

Any suggestions???

Because of the configuration of the scope's power adjustment ring, you have to mount the scope too far back and it hits you. You could either use a different scope that can be mounted further forward or maybe try a set of higher rings that allows the scope to be set forward of its present position.

A thumbhole stock does tend to bring your face closer to the scope because it puts your hand in a vertical position and the pistol grip is shorter.

How are you and Kelly doing?

Has to be the eye relief of the scope... Two Pyrodex pellets/250gr bullet..not a whole lot of recoil there. I noticed that eye relief listed for that scope 3.25 inches... Well eye relief can and usually does vary thruout the scopes magnification range and usually is the LEAST at the HIGHEST magnification range..you might want to check that. 3.25 inches of eye relief is the BARE MINIMUM! Personally I would never scope a muzzleloader with 3.25 inches of listed eye relief and only start looking at scopes that list 3.5 inches no matter whos name is on it. I also notice your scope is all the way BACK in the mount...that's a telltale sign to be careful! 8)

Buy some taller rings and move the scope forward a couple inches. I use a Nikon Omega BDC scope because it offers 5" of eye relief. Very important for heavy recoil. Prior to the Nikon, I was occasionally getting scoped by my Leupold that had only 3.5" of eye relief.

either the mounting of the scope or the eye relief of the scope. no reason for any scope to hammer you.

looks like it is too far back. for instance look at mine here...leupy vxiii 3.5x10x50...and how it is not set way back over the thumbhole like yours sits.

this is my manufactures quoted eye relief "Eye relief: 4.5-3.6" and I cant say Ive ever come close to being hit.

good luck with it and let us know

1024081716a.jpg

Saxman I had read the reviews on that scope and it sounded like and excellent scope at an excellent price. Then I looked at the specifications on the scope and saw the eye relief and that was all it took to make me look else where.

I have a problem on the range. I get so relaxed sitting out there blowing holes in things, watching smoke drift off into the woods, that I sometimes get lax in my address of the rifle. The other day shooting the Genesis with 150 grains of powder, it reminded me real fast to pay attention. And that scope has 3.6 inches of eye relief on the high powder. I never owned a thumb hole stock, but if that moves my face further up the stock, that to me is an invitation to a scope cut.

I just bought a Nikon Omega and that has 5 inches of eye relief. I feel comfortable with that, but you can go the wrong way and go too much. I had a Bushnell Dusk to Dawn that had 6 inches of eye relief, and I could not get comfortable behind that scope. Also it would not bring the cross hairs up high enough, so it went back to the company.

Nice looking rig you have there. Real pretty.

I mount my scopes as far forward as I can stand. That requires me to pull the gun back into my shoulder hard. This takes out all the slack. I've never been hit with a rifle scope.

Get rid of that scope. I hunted with an Encore for years. Put a Leupold slam on it or the Nikon Omega. It will take several trips to the range to get your confidence back. In a tree stand is even worse.

I use scopes that have 4+ inches eye relief to avoid that problem on a lot of my guns I went to the Omega Nikon which has 5 inches eye relief.
Also check the trigger pull length on that new stock that can also create the problem. Lee

scope

Lee and UC answered the question. 1 and then 2. I am one that get's excited shooting at game and tend to crawl up on the scope, thus receiving the scope bite. But oif I am bitten, usually game over for the game as well.

has to be the eye relief of the scope ,move it forward if it is possible..the worst possible thing u can do is to raise the scope ,leave the scope as low as possible ..i also noticed that u still have the T/C recoil pad that is as hard as a hockey puck ..,that will not help u if u don't like the recoil ..buy a LIMBSAVER recoil pad ,and enjoy ur toy ...but it's ur call

Where did you get the stock set from? I want one for my Endeavor. I have been looking at the Boyd's thumbhole set in the coffee color. I really like the looks of yours though.

Saxman, check your LOP ..I usually want a longer LOP with a banger for me and with my arms usually 14" is right on the money. When you mount your scope turn the power ring to the highest setting and then position the scope for the entire field of view and see if it brings it forward. I know plenty of guys that shoot ultramags and use Bushnells 2.5-10 4200's and they don't get hit and it might have even less scope relief then what you have. If that doesn't work then like others have said get rid of the scope and try something with more eye relief, but I honestly think it is the stock or the way the scope is adjusted.

Thanks guy's
I'll try all that.
I thought I had it right but maybe i dont.

How do I measure LOP?

How do I measure LOP?

RUn a tape measure from the curved portion of the trigger where your finger would touch and down the middle of the buttstock to the edge of the recoil pad.

gorgeous gun. i would move it forward in the rings as others have said.the biggest deer i ever shot was a 10ptr that i shot while twisted around.i knew my scope nailed me but it wasnt till my hunting partner came up and thought i had been injured due to all the blood on my hunting coat that i realized just how bad. i love my vx11 2x7 scope that came out for muzzleloaders about 6 years ago.

That scope looks like it wayyy to far back to me !! I only have a one power but its a good 2 ' ' forward of yours .

LOVE THE STOCK !!!!!

Back