35 Whelen bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
I may have a chance to use my 35 Whelen on deer in the future.
After a search on the internet I dont see much in the way of 200-225 grain bullets available.
Anyone know how Sierra 225 grain Spire point boat tail will work on deer? I have a box and that would seem like a reasonable choice.
I have a modern gun and am thinking around 2600 FPS.

I used to handload the 225 Sierra,, 35 whelen was the first bolt action rifle I built myself years ago my nephew owns it now,, the 225 Sierra shot great ,for the life of me I do not remember the powder, I sure remember the rifle I clean it and re-sight in every 2 or 3 years for my nephew I think the 35 is a great cartridge as well as the AI and the brown whelen! My nephew has only used it to mule deer and elk hunt that 225 is going to get all over a deer!! The 35 whelen in the AI version are very efficient per grain of powder burnt,,,, years ago they were some of the most efficient tested if I remember correctly I think the 708 or it was the 7x57 AI was also one of the most efficient for grain of powder tested I know that test was 25 some odd years ago.

that 225 is going to get all over a deer
Im going to assume thats a good thing?? Some of my reading said it may be a bit hard. Maybe more of an elk bullet. But Im a believer that if you put a hole in the boiler room it will die. The 225 should leave a hole, from any direction 🙂 .

Hard to believe, there are very few if any bullets for a 35 out there.

My nephew shoots a 225 tipped bullet I think it's a scirocco I'm not sure,, have you tried any of the northern precision bullets he's pretty reasonable and he's pretty quick turnaround.

I was brain scanning my files I remember now it was 2015 accurate arms powder don't remember the charge

Thank you HH. I have been contacted by precision bullets. Im going to call him this week. Sounds like he can custom make the perfect deer bullet. I am trying to stick to a bullet with a high BC. The 35 Whelen should easily take deer at 300 yards with the right bullet. Never been to IOWA hunting so want to give myself all the advantage I can get.

I have used the Hornady 200 gr. FTX on deer in Southern Ark. I down loaded to around 2300 fps to get close to the 35 Rem - what the bullet was designed for. I also load the 200 gr. Hornady using IMR 3031. Great bullet. Have not tried any of the sierra but would anticipate excellent results. Most of my shooting with my 35 AI lately has been with 200 gr. cast gas checked and 3031. Cloverleaves at 100.

I know you already have something figured out, but I have used the Sierra 225's in a 358 win with great results. I would think they would do well in the Whelen. I'm using Hornady 200gr sp this year, as I have not been able to find the Sierra's. I hope they do well.

The Sierra 225 will work just fine at 2600. It is NOT a hard bullet. I used to load bunches of'em for buddies who had Whelens. 2015 was o.k., but later we went to IMR-4320 for a little better accuracy. I still have a couple of pounds of 2015 left over from those good ol' days.

thank you bandicoot. I have a supply of 4064 in IMR and Accurate. If not I have other choices. Ill get a good load and go with it.

No first had experience with the Whelen, but I personally wouldn't have a problem pushing that bullet to 2600. Its not really a premium bullet, but I have seen nothing that would make me believe it wouldn't handle it.

Never shot the 225 grain bullet in my 35 Whelen. However, I have used the 250 grain Speer Hot-Cor to kill deer, lots of elk, and a moose. One-shot kills. Nose plants. Speer specifically designed that 250 grain for the Whelen. Like everything else, those bullets are usually out of stock.

Since I figure this to be primarily an elk rifle for me I have an inventory of 250 grain Hornady Spitzers, Nosler 250 grain partitions, and 250 grain Speer Hot Cores. It is an Interarms barreled action that has been bored out to the 35 Whelen with a 1/12 twist. I shoot 66 grains of H414 at 2700 FPS. No signs of pressure, no problems with ejection. If your saying a 250 grain hot core is a good deer killer that has my attention. I have several loaded. What velocity are you talking threepoint?????

Last edited:
Excellent article Threepoint. I really like my 35 Whelen. I may try a few 225 Sierras to check out the accuracy. But I may just go with the hot cores. Fact is Im probably overthinking this. Let me know if you need a few 35 bullets to keep you going. I also have 300 grain Barnes originals and several lead bullet choices.

Im going to assume thats a good thing?? Some of my reading said it may be a bit hard. Maybe more of an elk bullet. But Im a believer that if you put a hole in the boiler room it will die. The 225 should leave a hole, from any direction 🙂 .

Hard to believe, there are very few if any bullets for a 35 out there.
I have used 250 gr Speer and also 275 gr Barnes.

Latest posts

Back