Hodgdon Superformance Powder for .35 Whelen

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyboy*

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Hodgdon Superformance Powder for .35 Whelen with 200 Gr Hornady SP Interlock Bullets?
My BIL was using the Factory Superformance 200 Gr Loads @ 2,910 fps & Now cannot Locate any & wants me to Load for him.
I pulled a bullet & the charge weighed 63 Grs. Before I continued, I contacted Hornady & they say Hodgdon's Superformance is Not the Same as they use in their Factory Superformance Ammo. What gives, how can Hodgdon call it Superformance?
Any Help with this would be Greatly Appreciated. Visually they look the same.
His CVA Scout Rifle is Legal for Primitive Big Game Season in Louisiana & Mississippi.😮

Unfortunately, Hodgdon doesn't List Superformance as one of their Powders for .35 Whelen with 200 Gr Bullets 🙁

I have a 35 whelen as well and this post interests me. Imr (hogdon) shows nearly 2800 fps with a 200 grain bullet. How fast do you want to shoot it???? I did a lot of research years ago and came up with shooting a Hornady 250 grain or a Speer 250 grain with H414. I can use 66 grains without any sign of pressure and get 2700 fps. I only shot this load in my Whelen a few times. Just to work up a load and kill an elk. I wouldn't recommend feeding it this load for practice. I have an Interarms Mauser action.

A lot of the load data for 35 whelen was kept low because there were so many versions and older guns that would not handle the modern pressure.

Has anyone used the Hodgdon Superformance Powder for .35 Whelen with 200 Gr Hornady SP Interlock Bullets?
My BIL was using the Factory Superformance 200 Gr Loads @ 2,910 fps & Now cannot Locate any & wants me to Load for him.
I pulled a bullet & the charge weighed 63 Grs. Before I continued, I contacted Hornady & they say Hodgdon's Superformance is Not the Same as they use in their Factory Superformance Ammo. What gives, how can Hodgdon call it Superformance?
His CVA Scout Rifle is Legal for Primitive Big Game Season in Louisiana & Mississippi.😮
I think their superformance ammo is probably a blend aka duplex of powder and they will never give up the ghost on that.

It was a duplex powder just like Leverevolution powder. And like LV powder it was named after a line of ammo for a full spectrum of cartridges. The LV powder was designed around the 30-30 and my guess, according to the burn speed of Superformance, is that it was made for the 243 Win. Actually LV is closer to the burn rate you need. Think in the same rate as 308 win and 223 rem

Last edited:
I wish I had something helpful to give you here, but I've never reloaded any ammo. I don't understand the H superformance being diff from the superformance Hornady uses under the exact same name. But you couldn't find out exactly what the difference actually is to do any type of comparison. That makes things abit aggravating / unnecessarily complicated IMHO
I wish you the best for finding out what you need too know

I do use the Superformance powder in 35 Whelen and a host of other cartridges
yeah it's not the same as loaded ammo but who buys that anyway?
I find it to be accurate in most the applications I use it in
I was told that it works best at near max levels so no concern needed on your BIL's load but I would use your own load data with the gun you choose to use it in
Best

I have a 35 whelen as well and this post interests me. Imr (hogdon) shows nearly 2800 fps with a 200 grain bullet. How fast do you want to shoot it???? I did a lot of research years ago and came up with shooting a Hornady 250 grain or a Speer 250 grain with H414. I can use 66 grains without any sign of pressure and get 2700 fps. I only shot this load in my Whelen a few times. Just to work up a load and kill an elk. I wouldn't recommend feeding it this load for practice. I have an Interarms Mauser action.

A lot of the load data for 35 whelen was kept low because there were so many versions and older guns that would not handle the modern pressure.

My BIL of course would like 2,900 fps to match the Hornady 200 Gr Superformance Factory Load. I have the Hodgdon Superformance Powder but Hornady claims it is Not what they use in their .35 Whelen Ammo.
The Label on the Can lists
.22-250 Rem 43 Gr Bullet 3,738 fps
.243 Win 75 Gr Bullet 3,510 fps
.300 WSM 155 Gr Bullet 3,405 fps

I have some H414

Billyboy, FYI there claims of velocity probably have some optimism in them. As well as their claims for velocity in their performance ammo.

H414 if I remember correctly has a burn rate similar to IMR 4350. But it is more dense so you can fit more in the case. For me the IMR4350 was about the right powder but as stated couldn't fit enough it. But with H414 it was right on the money. At least it worked for me.

But I agree, there should be several powder choices to get the velocity you desire.

Last edited:
I currently use sw match powder but in the past I used titegroup for .357 pistol bullets, imr 4749,4198,4320,H322 and aa2700 For heavier bullets.

Back