35 Whelen bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had excellent results with 250 gr Partitions, 225 gr Accubonds, and 225 gr Triple Shocks on game all animals just went down.

Punched paper with some 225 gr Speers but not hunted with them. Their accuracy was good but I never finished the load development.

My Whelen is a custom build on a M98 action using a Shilen barrel and I love it. My longest was with the 250 Partition on a big 10 pt whitetail at 265 yards. I think he moved 2 steps before falling over, destroyed both shoulders.

I use Barnes 200 grain TTSX in my 35W smokeless conversion with awesome accuracy and would have no problem taking a Deer at 300 yards…… if you can find them

Greg

I like and use 225 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip's
powder varies I use a powder called Varmint pro, Alliant I think, and 2015 others as well but can't recall at the moment
Mine is a Model 70 Super Grade, custom.
I have used 250 Gr Hornady's in my 358 Win. on Elk with good results

Finding available bullets to load has been difficult. I find lots of sizes listed on sites, but they are usually not available. I have not found 220 or 225 grain bullets available on any site.

I reload for all my centerfires. Forthe 35 Whelen I use a Barnes TTSX 220 gr flat base. Because of the Whelen's freebore I use the flat base which will reach the lands and still have plenty to completely fill the case neck. I haven't found any boattails that will accomplish that. I set them 15 to 20 thousenths off the lans which produces a very accurate and devistating combination. If needed I can look up my load data. I built and chambered a 35 RUM T/C Encore barrel several years ago and it uses a different barnes bullet. It is a 3,400 FPS rifle which I use a lot for deer but when on power lines and gas lines comes in handy.

Latest posts

Back