4:40AM and 20 degrees

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 6 cav Lee 240 gr TC -452 mold obtained recently and thought maybe that bullet could work 50/45 sabots in the CVA 50 Optima pistol and try in the new to me CVA Mag kodiak 45 as a fullbore. I think the pure @ 452 will get down there ,either way it"s a good way to store lead .Those sheets take up to much room so I"m going out to the unheated garage (at least out of the wind) and fire up the pot . A good way to start the day/Ed

I've sent a lot of cast bullets down range both as full bore and in sabots . I think that bullet will work fine in the Kodiak as long as you keep powder charges moderate. One I harvested a few deer with a 45 using a sabot is the Lyman 403169, its well suited for 1:28 twist.

Attachments

• 20201231_135208.jpg
    20201231_135208.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 6
I have a 6 cav Lee 240 gr TC -452 mold obtained recently and thought maybe that bullet could work 50/45 sabots in the CVA 50 Optima pistol and try in the new to me CVA Mag kodiak 45 as a fullbore. I think the pure @ 452 will get down there ,either way it"s a good way to store lead .Those sheets take up to much room so I"m going out to the unheated garage (at least out of the wind) and fire up the pot . A good way to start the day/Ed

I use to cast out in my unheated Garage, I remember getting Bundled up when it was Dead of winter and well below Freezing, I enjoy Casting Bullets no matter where i‘m at, Good times :lewis:

So just finished 18 LBS of BHN 10.3 and 8.7 LBS of pure . The down side is I get to go back out and do over again , a lesson learned is early morning is not the time to do this ! It seems I grabbed the wrong mold ,this one is for a 44 mag (I no longer have) and thought it was a 452 that is now warming up ./Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0571[1].JPG
    IMG_0571[1].JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0572[1].JPG
    IMG_0572[1].JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 7
So just finished 18 LBS of BHN 10.3 and 8.7 LBS of pure . The down side is I get to go back out and do over again , a lesson learned is early morning is not the time to do this ! It seems I grabbed the wrong mold ,this one is for a 44 mag (I no longer have) and thought it was a 452 that is now warming up ./Ed

I have done similiar, I casted up a NICE Batch of .50s one time that were suppose to be .54s :D I simply grabbed the Wrong Mold, and didn't catch it til AFTER i had casted a good pile of them

Gas check style bullets without installing the check fit into a sabot quite well, save you from melting them all down and giving you some more options at the same time.

Gas check style bullets without installing the check fit into a sabot quite well, save you from melting them all down and giving you some more options at the same time.
My option as I don:t have a 44 anymore is to put them on a sturdy shelf and admire the novel way to store lead rather than have big sheets to trip over . 😙

Yup but I know you have 50 "s ,me no got a 44 any mo /Ed :wall:

That any mo immediately reminded me of this 😄
CnZJav1.jpg

Please forgive me if I am incorrect here .....but I have cast mostly pistol slugs for many years and wonder if I could use my 45 Colt mold for a 255 Keith style slug in my 50 or 52 Knight rifles. I size and lube them down after they are cast to 451 for my Smith model 25. Im sure they are at least 458 after casting and I could resize larger.

Could I use a sabot to take up the difference in size dimensions?

From what I have observed here on line after reading numerous articles few if any use grease groves in their bullets,? I wonder why? Can someone kindly please provide a little insight to my thoughts here?

I don't see why not. Guys shoot pistol bullets all the time with sabots here . I personally use a 300 gr with a sabot that's .452. and also a lead slick bullet from Harvester that's .452 in 400 gr.

Please forgive me if I am incorrect here .....but I have cast mostly pistol slugs for many years and wonder if I could use my 45 Colt mold for a 255 Keith style slug in my 50 or 52 Knight rifles. I size and lube them down after they are cast to 451 for my Smith model 25. Im sure they are at least 458 after casting and I could resize larger.

Could I use a sabot to take up the difference in size dimensions?

From what I have observed here on line after reading numerous articles few if any use grease groves in their bullets,? I wonder why? Can someone kindly please provide a little insight to my thoughts here?
Absolutely ,I have as cast/and power coated then sized in my 450 lubsizer to what I need .One of my favorites is the plain based Lee 255 FN that my Lipsy 45 colt likes ,and not to be confusing my side locks shoot a saboted (HA) and fits perfectly Accurate 44-345-paper patched in a 50 cal side lock . I only did it cause I"m waiting on a mold and bored with the virus thing and will be shooting it today if the rain/snow mix quits . But pistol bullets grooved or not work great !/Ed

Absolutely ,I have as cast/and power coated then sized in my 450 lubsizer to what I need .One of my favorites is the plain based Lee 255 FN that my Lipsy 45 colt likes ,and not to be confusing my side locks shoot a saboted (HA) and fits perfectly Accurate 44-345-paper patched in a 50 cal side lock . I only did it cause I"m waiting on a mold and bored with the virus thing and will be shooting it today if the rain/snow mix quits . But pistol bullets grooved or not work great !/Ed

I’m hoping for a decent morning this morning as well Ed, I’m chomping at the Bit wanting to get back out with my new Rice .50 Cal and test the Big Grease Groove in it, Yesterday was HORRIBLE here, it Pissed the Rain down the ENTIRE Day.

Yes you can use 45 caliber pistol bullets as a grease groove bullet in a 45 caliber muzzleloaders or use them in a sabot minus the lube in larger calibers, depending on the sabot you use sizing may not be needed.

Wonderful! Ive have a Lyman 450 sizer too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did you blend your alloy?

Back