40 cal conical rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shifty

Reaction score
A 40 cal conical is legal where i live so have thought of building one . Butt as far as bullet and molds available would i be better off with a 45 cal?
Has anyone here had any experience with a 40 conical on white tail deer?

There’s a guy on gunbroker who sells Lee REAL conicals in .40. But I’d go with a .45 for bullet selection. There are tons of options

There’s a guy on gunbroker who sells Lee REAL conicals in .40. But I’d go with a .45 for bullet selection. There are tons of options
Well the 45 is popular but the superior bc of a 40 proves its no slouch . Take a look at Doc Whites ballistic tables for the 410 @ 400gr and a 451 @460gr from the muzzle out to 200yds , even Doc has a bit to say about that !!!
At professional deer hunting reserves the ones that saw that little 410 couldnt stop raving about its preformance . They never mentioned the bigger calibers .
Yes it takes a little more involvement to get the required supplies . Yes it "different" . BUT the 40 to 41 DELIVERS !!! You wont go wrong......

Never said it was a slouch. I own one. But bullet selection alone makes the .45 more desirable to me. And the OP asked “as far as bullets and molds available”

Never said it was a slouch. I own one. But bullet selection alone makes the .45 more desirable to me. And the OP asked “as far as bullets and molds available”
I can't add much here simply BC I only have exp w/.45 .50 .54 ML's. After talkin with you about your .40 Seneca barrel having a good twist for pistol bullets & conicals, I started researching bullet options in both pistol & cast lead conicals to get an idea of the options I'm going to have . Just how incredibly versatile a .40 cal ML can be with the right barrel twist combined with the right bullet type & weight. I don't plan on deer hunting per say with it ( I have a .45 Paramount for that ) but I'll have a much better idea what's what after some range & chrony time. There are some lead cons avail at several diff weights & plenty of jacketed pistol bullets avail fairly cheap to plink, hunt, or pest control etc. I think this is gonna be a pretty broad spectrum really fun experience goin .40 for the first time. For non mainstream guys that blaze their own path from the normal direction the bandwagon everyone else is on & wants to blindly jump right on full throttle do. Outside the box free thinkers, that's where I've always roamed. No fault of mine tho, I seem to be made that way. Kind regards

I can't add much here simply BC I only have exp w/.45 .50 .54 ML's. After talkin with you about your .40 Seneca barrel having a good twist for pistol bullets & conicals, I started researching bullet options in both pistol & cast lead conicals to get an idea of the options I'm going to have . Just how incredibly versatile a .40 cal ML can be with the right barrel twist combined with the right bullet type & weight. I don't plan on deer hunting per say with it ( I have a .45 Paramount for that ) but I'll have a much better idea what's what after some range & chrony time. There are some lead cons avail at several diff weights & plenty of jacketed pistol bullets avail fairly cheap to plink, hunt, or pest control etc. I think this is gonna be a pretty broad spectrum really fun experience goin .40 for the first time. For non mainstream guys that blaze their own path from the normal direction the bandwagon everyone else is on & wants to blindly jump right on full throttle do. Outside the box free thinkers, that's where I've always roamed. No fault of mine tho, I seem to be made that way. Kind regards
I’d say that’s well put. Your typical ML shooter may not want to put the effort into it like you will. I’ll tell u though, it was impressive to shoot a water jug with magazines behind it with a pistol bullet n 40 gr 777. I’d consider that a light/med light load n it would’ve thumped whitey

I’d say that’s well put. Your typical ML shooter may not want to put the effort into it like you will. I’ll tell u though, it was impressive to shoot a water jug with magazines behind it with a pistol bullet n 40 gr 777. I’d consider that a light/med light load n it would’ve thumped whitey
Thank ya kindly bud

This is Exactly Why i have a 40 bh209/sml in progress . Ive even found a 490gr conical that wont surrender a thing to a 540gr 45 , other way around actually . With light pistol bullets a groundhogs or coyotes world will never be the same either .

Ive got my 410 Super 91 Repeatedly All Day shooting 400gr conicals into a .560 to .570 inch widest diameter hole @100 yds and it Doesnt break out a 1 inch hole @ 200 either !!! This is from a Production Hunting gun with a 1x6 scope !!! I realize this is Exceptionally Great performance but ive YET to see better from ANY mz . Theres Alot more of them too !!!!!
And youre right , dead in the box typical thinkin didnt produce these results . I kinda pity those stuck in that mindset .

Last edited:
This is Exactly Why i have a 40 bh209/sml in progress . Ive even found a 490gr conical that wont surrender a thing to a 540gr 45 , other way around actually . With light pistol bullets a groundhogs or coyotes world will never be the same either .

Ive got my 410 Super 91 Repeatedly All Day shooting 400gr conicals into a .560 to .570 inch widest diameter hole @100 yds and it Doesnt break out a 1 inch hole @ 200 either !!! This is from a Production Hunting gun with a 1x6 scope !!! I realize this is Exceptionally Great performance but ive YET to see better from ANY mz . Theres Alot more of them too !!!!!
And youre right , dead in the box typical thinkin didnt produce these results . I kinda pity those stuck in that mindset .
Thanks for your fantastic post Sideshow. I appreciate it & always enjoy reading your posts & more often than not learn something too. Kind regards

Thanks for your fantastic post Sideshow. I appreciate it & always enjoy reading your posts & more often than not learn something too. Kind regards
I appreciate you as well Ninering62 !!! A mind coraled is no way to be !!! As i believe Leupold said "Not all those who wander are Lost" . I too enjoy the company out on the frontier .......

A 40 cal conical is legal where i live so have thought of building one . Butt as far as bullet and molds available would i be better off with a 45 cal?
Has anyone here had any experience with a 40 conical on white tail deer?
Ya know shifty we kinda danced all around your question . Sorry !!!
Ive got a super 91 .410 white inline and i absolutely love that rifle . White used to offer 280gr for plinking , a 320gr for deer , and a 400gr for big game up to elk . The twist is 1 in 16 . Max charge is 100gr . Its incredibly accurate and powerfull . A deer has yet to be born that it wont smoke its shoulders . I wouldnt hesitate to get a 40 !!! I will say i use the 400gr conicals most . With 80gr of 3f powder youll have over 1000 lb of energy left @ 200yds !!!
Doesnt really matter the action , the 40 or 41 has it goin on !!!

Last edited:
What’s the options available to get into a .40 or .41 cal?
I think that’s about the perfect bore size. Wouldn’t even mind having a .358.

This is where my knowledge gets slim .
For a sidelock i knew tc had the Senneca in 36 . Ive seen and know of a guy that shoots a swamped barrel 40 competetively but he has a aftermarket barrel for roundball .
For an inline the White muzzleloaders had the kinda rare 410 .
The caliber itself is very popular in BPCR and many bullets or moulds are available for the 40 or 41 . I use 45 wool overpowder wads . Cant think of anymore to add.......

Last edited:

Pedersoli still sells their Gibbs rifle in a 40cal. It aint cheap though. Other than that you pretty much need to have someone cut you a barrel from either a 405Win, 408Cheytac or 416 blank. All three have a slightly different land/groove.
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...uct_name/PR3386+GIBBS+RIFLE+40+CAL+116"+TWIST

Pedersoli still sells their Gibbs rifle in a 40cal. It aint cheap though. Other than that you pretty much need to have someone cut you a barrel from either a 405Win, 408Cheytac or 416 blank. All three have a slightly different land/groove.
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...uct_name/PR3386+GIBBS+RIFLE+40+CAL+116"+TWIST
Thanks GM54-120 , I felt kinda bad that i had no more info to offer . You remembered the Gibbs that id forgotten about . They sure are nice but also expensive !!!
Id like to add that in a general 40 cal bore sizes from pistol size 40s to the 416 there are quite a few different bullet diameters and lengths to consider for a planned build or just to buy for a rifle you may already have . Best do your homework so youre sure theyll work for your bore and twist !!!

There are black powder cartridge barrels but can't remember names of makers , Krigier is one and I think maybe Bartlien .408 groove diameter

Latest posts

Back