400 yard elk muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I NEVER compared a whitetail to an elk. I was being a smart ask when you had to ask how many elk I've shot.

Again, a full custom and not even a maximum charge. 3900fpe at 400yds? Compare that to the average rifle people hunt with. A Weatherby 300 Magnum only has 4100fpe at the muzzle.
With my rifle, I can send that 350gr bullet at 3,200fps.

Screenshot 2022-11-03 161927 2960fps.jpg

I NEVER compared a whitetail to an elk. I was being a smart ask when you had to ask how many elk I've shot.

Again, a full custom and not even a maximum charge. 3900fpe at 400yds? Compare that to the average rifle people hunt with. A Weatherby 300 Magnum only has 4100fpe at the muzzle.
With my rifle, I can send that 350gr bullet at 3,200fps.

View attachment 29487

Good luck

Depending on how much you want to spend, I would go smokeless as well and have a custom built on a Remington action- I had my Remington Ultimate converted this past year and have now shot 3 whitetails with it this season and it has tremendous energy, being quite capable of taking elk at 500 yrds, depending on your charge and bullet combination. I haven't tested my current load on the chrono yet, but I'm using 78grns of H322 with a 300gr Arrowhead NSR bullet and it is CRAZY LETHAL. I have never seen damage like this bullet can do (which is good and bad, depending on the point of impact). I am guessing I am around 2900/3000 fps since I only need 5 clicks of adjustment having the rifle zeroed at 100yrds and then taking a shot at 200yrds. In regard to cost, a conversion will run around $1500-$2000, and a completely new smokeless bolt rifle will be $3000 and up. If I wasn't going smokeless, I would probably go with a Paramount.

I am a novice in SML. Never used blackpowder much. 2 pellets of Pyrodex for one deer and a coyote in an old Traditions inline. But those of you that doubt what Encore50 is saying need to get educated. Go on over to Jeff Hankins forum and look up a guy called Balistic and surf around a bit what others are doing with documentation and then come back and report. I only shoot whitetails but I understand ballistics and energy and bullet performance. This forum is a bit of an echo chamber, get out of your house and look around a bit. Hint: The performance of the SML's being built and used dwarf the performance of the .458 WIn mag. The load recommended to me last year in my first year using my Scout was blowing parts off the backside of deer at 130 yards using Kyle Pittmans 253 gr. bullets. To much for this old guy, I like to eat them not vaporize them. Dropped 11 grs of powder and had great performance this year. I cannot handle the recoil they are producing over there......

A good brake will reduce recoil about 50%.

I removed the muzzle brake on my Scout because it nearly deafened me on the first shot at a deer. I don't need loads that will launch an Apollo rocket or a bullet that weighs a pound to kill whitetails in America. I am going to try it again as I have purchased hearing protection that goes in the ear. Plus it looks cool....lol.

A good brake will reduce recoil about 50%.

I removed the muzzle brake on my Scout because it nearly deafened me on the first shot at a deer. I don't need loads that will launch an Apollo rocket or a bullet that weighs a pound to kill whitetails in America. I am going to try it again as I have purchased hearing protection that goes in the ear. Plus it looks cool....lol.
My audiologist made me a custom in-the-ear set. $100 and took about a week.

I would be interested in seeing some ballistic gel testing if some of the "longrange" muzzleloader bullets to see what minimum expansion is required.

I can tell you right now, after taking a couple does this year with an Arrowhead 300gr bullet with 78grns of H322 that those bullets DESTROY whitetails, which is a good and bad thing. The good-they drop quickly with little tracking required. The bad-a good deal of meat can be destroyed. I shot a nice buck back in November with the same gun, but a different load (72grns of 4198/300gr Fury bonded black tip bullet) and the buck dropped on the spot, but not nearly as much damage done as the Arrowhead 300gr NSR bullet. I would have continued using the Furys, but for whatever reason, somewhere between 100 and 200 yrds they destabalized for me with both 4198 and H322. The Arrowheads were tack drivers at 100 and 200yrds. I am guessing the Arrowheads work like a grenade because they are not bonded like the Furys I used, but that is just a guess. I'm sure others of you know better than myself.

I can tell you right now, after taking a couple does this year with an Arrowhead 300gr bullet with 78grns of H322 that those bullets DESTROY whitetails, which is a good and bad thing. The good-they drop quickly with little tracking required. The bad-a good deal of meat can be destroyed. I shot a nice buck back in November with the same gun, but a different load (72grns of 4198/300gr Fury bonded black tip bullet) and the buck dropped on the spot, but not nearly as much damage done as the Arrowhead 300gr NSR bullet. I would have continued using the Furys, but for whatever reason, somewhere between 100 and 200 yrds they destabalized for me with both 4198 and H322. The Arrowheads were tack drivers at 100 and 200yrds. I am guessing the Arrowheads work like a grenade because they are not bonded like the Furys I used, but that is just a guess. I'm sure others of you know better than myself.
You defiantly, need to match up the right bullet weight/expansion rate for the range of the game one is hunting.

Back