420gr No Excuses

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone use this bullet in a CVA Wolf?

A friend of mine has a CVA Wolf and is trying to find a load to use that is easy to load. I have some of the 420gr No Excuses that he could try if anyone thought it would be worth trying.
He is a young man in high school and doesn't have a lot of money to try a bunch of different bullets. I am just trying to help him out with anything I have laying around.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I think its heavy and the recoil in that light gun is going to be an eye opener with even a moderate powder charge. Personally I'd stay at or under 300 grains and over 240 grains of bullet weight in a sabot. I've shot a couple Wolf guns using 300 grain XTPs with 100 volumetric charges of 209 powder and they were rude. I can't imagine a 420 grain pill.

Plus you might check your manual - I think CVA recommends a 400 grain projectile as max in their barrel.

I have shot My 400 Grain Bullets in a CVA Wolf (From a Custom Mold i had made) I don’t remember Recoil being Bad?

Cast of PURE Lead these weigh dead on 400 Grains
m5lD89Om.jpg

And they worked Quite well in the CVA Wolf :lewis:
HB2xk4n.jpg

The ‘100 yd slow motion’ video I posted last week was shot by a 13 year old youth.
530gr lead conical over 52grW (75V) BH209.
We shot the same load out of a few Knights and an Encore.
Start lower as I’ve shot as little as 35grW (50grV) and won a match.
I also shot a 500gr conical in a 50cal with good success over 85gr Swiss 2f years ago.
Best of luck...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back