45 Caliber 290g ELR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just mailed CVA’s new 45 ELR.......see what they do in your reduced test.
Take Care.
Rick

IMG_5191.JPG

Set out to capture the bullet which actually weighed 291 grain.

IMG_5192.JPG

Mechanism for capture shown in photo consists of a phone book, six water bottles, and a piece of plywood with carpet glued to it, Powder charge is 50 grain Blackhorn.

IMG_5193.JPG

Photo shows the 'trap' separated from rifle by 25 yards.

IMG_5195.JPG

VIDEO

The bullet went through everything but the phone book.

IMG_5196.JPG

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5204.JPG

Not really what I expected, but the it does seem ‘tips’ again might be a major factor in expansion (lack thereof).
Thanks
Possibly if you have any left, test with 80gr.

I don’t recall seeing any PB tested (reduced) in you list?

Last edited:
IMG_5191.JPG

Set out to capture the bullet which actually weighed 291 grain.

IMG_5192.JPG

Mechanism for capture shown in photo consists of a phone book, six water bottles, and a piece of plywood with carpet glued to it, Powder charge is 50 grain Blackhorn.

IMG_5193.JPG

Photo shows the 'trap' separated from rifle by 25 yards.

IMG_5195.JPG

VIDEO

The bullet went through everything but the phone book.

IMG_5196.JPG

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5204.JPG
Thanks for the great post, pics & vid. Great job with everything. I'm abit surprised to see that the ELR did not perform in your text. Good capture too BTW. I can say this about them having run 60+ through my Paramount with 105gr charges, they can stack a nice hole at 200yds & I've shot 3 deer with them, a broadside , a straight on front shot at base of neck & chest & a quartering away shot. all 3 were absolutely devastating grenading those deer bodies. So they sure as heck performed when I've hunted with them. I was amazed really at the massive damage. They performed alright. I would have loved to had found any of the bullets for weight & shape, but I found none in any of them. Just massive holes. & Quit using them just for that reason

Many do not really understand the purpose of the testing that Ron's does or has done. I believe and Ron can further explain the testing, the bullets are shot with a reduced powder load to mimic the velocity that the bullet might be traveling at extended ranges, or where the velocity has reduced expected velocities at an extended range. What or how the bullet might operate out of the muzzle could be and often is different than expected.

In this particular test - first shot with 50 gr. Vol of BH the bullet, in my mind, the bullet failed. In this case Ron does not suggest the possible velocity of the bullet. With all of his experience of doing these tests he could probably quote the velocity that the bullet might be traveling at 25 yards.

At this point Ron has not posted a test with 80 gr. Vol of this bullet. Unfortunately I am not sure 80 gr. Vol at 25 yards is going to work much better.

What would be really nice to know is what is the range of operation (velocities) the bullet is designed to operate at. Given enough time and bullets Ron could find out the real life performance of the bullet.

Good explanation GM.
I’ve only had interest in Ron’s reduced test as nearly all bullets will perform at close range. (80gr test).

Based on his test that I’ve tabulated, I’ve noted a few velocities. This 280gr looks to be traveling at 1200-1250fps.
Rough Ballistic program data shows this performance at 450ish. Who knows where the expansion really stops??? as it isn’t doing anything at this velocity.
I think one could load and shoot it again.

6469D720-72E3-4DBA-9667-157C9E74F0B2.jpegAB34206D-C2CD-4F50-BB65-5F24BAEE43D6.jpeg

Last edited:
my Paramount with 105gr charges, they can stack a nice hole at 200yds & I've shot 3 deer with them, a broadside , a straight on front shot at base of neck & chest & a quartering away shot. all 3 were absolutely devastating grenading those deer bodies. So they sure as heck performed when I've hunted with them.
Ron does a great service for us testing all these bullets. Thank you Ron. In this particular case Ninering62 has some real life experience to add to the testing. On three occasions he has successfully harvested deer to his satisfaction. It kills deer just fine for him.

With all things ballistic there are tradeoffs. If you need a bullet with a high ballistic coefficient to shoot long distances it is very likely the bullet will not perform perfectly at 100 yards and 300 yards. Then we need to define perfectly. IMHO a hole through the boiler room will kill any animal. Expansion or not. I think this forum gets too hung up on bullet performance. Bullet placement is more important. I killed all kinds of deer with a .50 round ball made of wheel weights after they were given to me. I had no idea they were harder than pure lead. Im sure they didn't expand. Worked just fine.

I personally am not interested in this bullet. But if I were going west and trying to get the most distance out of my gun I would be. It concerns me little that it may or may not expand. If I develop an accurate load and make a good shot my quarry will be dead. I may have to do some tracking but I will get it. And that's what bullets do.

My nickels worth on the subject
There is a trade off with bullet design, performance and accuracy.
Design do you want the bullet to have any aerodynamic capabilities
Performance when the bullet hits the target what are your expectations
Accuracy you need to be able to get the bullet to hit the same spot repeatedly
I have tracked less deer hit with a .223 bullet than with .40+ caliber muzzle loader bullets. All shots were taken at 100 yards or less. My philosophy is that it is more important to hit the correct location than what you hit the target with.

Nice shooting Ron. I would think it obvious that I have no interest in any factory made/produced projectile.

The projectile penetrated well and ended up with a nice Meplat that will cause good tissue spray in front of it and allow for great Pulmonary pressure reduction and effective bleed out. Of coarse this only works if the jerk on the trigger puts the projectile in the Pulmonary pump station area.

Great shooting!

Ken

Good explanation GM.
I’ve only had interest in Ron’s reduced test as nearly all bullets will perform at close range. (80gr test).

Based on his test that I’ve tabulated, I’ve noted a few velocities. This 280gr looks to be traveling at 1200-1250fps.
Rough Ballistic program data shows this performance at 450ish. Who knows where the expansion really stops??? as it isn’t doing anything at this velocity.
I think one could load and shoot it again.

View attachment 12684View attachment 12685
I am surprised the Barnes TEZ failed. I thought Barnes bullets are some of the better ones for muzzleloading.

Playing devil's advocate.................... For every failure of that bullet, you'll find over 10 fold hunters that have had extreme success with it. Anyone who's visited the CVA Paramount page can review many bullets that performed perfectly.

Why things do what they do.......???? LOL

Back