45 Caliber 290g ELR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My nickels worth on the subject
There is a trade off with bullet design, performance and accuracy.
Design do you want the bullet to have any aerodynamic capabilities
Performance when the bullet hits the target what are your expectations
Accuracy you need to be able to get the bullet to hit the same spot repeatedly
I have tracked less deer hit with a .223 bullet than with .40+ caliber muzzle loader bullets. All shots were taken at 100 yards or less. My philosophy is that it is more important to hit the correct location than what you hit the target with.
exactly. Thanks

My nickels worth on the subject
There is a trade off with bullet design, performance and accuracy.
Design do you want the bullet to have any aerodynamic capabilities
Performance when the bullet hits the target what are your expectations
Accuracy you need to be able to get the bullet to hit the same spot repeatedly
I have tracked less deer hit with a .223 bullet than with .40+ caliber muzzle loader bullets. All shots were taken at 100 yards or less. My philosophy is that it is more important to hit the correct location than what you hit the target with.
I was of the same mindset as you here.... until, I shot, not 1, but 2 deer from 30yds to 60-70yds quartering away. Both shots should have been Bang/Flop. But, Nooooo, they both took off through the pine forest & gone never to be found. I looked for one for over 7 hrs. I tried out some 200gr .40 SST bullets. Never again & It changed my philosophy on the subject. I switched to 220gr Dead Center bullets in LBCR's with 84gr BHJ 209. Absolute sub moa out to 200yds sledgehammers. Bang/Flops just how I like em.

Ron does a great service for us testing all these bullets. Thank you Ron. In this particular case Ninering62 has some real life experience to add to the testing. On three occasions he has successfully harvested deer to his satisfaction. It kills deer just fine for him.

With all things ballistic there are tradeoffs. If you need a bullet with a high ballistic coefficient to shoot long distances it is very likely the bullet will not perform perfectly at 100 yards and 300 yards. Then we need to define perfectly. IMHO a hole through the boiler room will kill any animal. Expansion or not. I think this forum gets too hung up on bullet performance. Bullet placement is more important. I killed all kinds of deer with a .50 round ball made of wheel weights after they were given to me. I had no idea they were harder than pure lead. Im sure they didn't expand. Worked just fine.

I personally am not interested in this bullet. But if I were going west and trying to get the most distance out of my gun I would be. It concerns me little that it may or may not expand. If I develop an accurate load and make a good shot my quarry will be dead. I may have to do some tracking but I will get it. And that's what bullets do.
Thanks for a fantastic post

nineringer I choose to take out the electrical system instead of the hydraulics of the cridder. They hav a tendency of expiring sooner that way. My dogs like an adventure but I want quicker results.

I was of the same mindset as you here.... until, I shot, not 1, but 2 deer from 30yds to 60-70yds quartering away. Both shots should have been Bang/Flop. But, Nooooo, they both took off through the pine forest & gone never to be found. I looked for one for over 7 hrs.
First, its happens to me too. But I also am convinced the laws of physics don't change. I am always skeptical when someone says I made a great shot but the deer got away. Perhaps you and I hit a shoulder and the bullet couldn't get to the vitals. Maybe we had an undetectable hang fire and really didn't hit where we were aiming. Maybe we hit a sapling that both pushed the bullet of course and started expansion prematurely. Maybe the deer had an unatural dose of adrenaline. Fact is there are probably hundreds of little gremlins out there we never know about.

For example. I was squirrel hunting with my pellet gun. Had a squirrel at about 30 yards and tried three times to kill it. The squirrel paid me no attention. Kind of insulting. My buddy with me said there is a tiny stick you keep hitting. I see it move every time you shoot. The tiny 10.6 grain pellet was no match even for the tiniest stick. I made a small move and the squirrel fell.

I do my best to make sure my equipment it ready to go when I hunt. But if you hunt or shoot long enough some things will be explainable.

Penetration not withstanding, these are well designed, highly accurate rounds. I’m sure the gel and meat test are forthcoming.
I do like the tips for accuracy and long range. Lately, I’ve gone to the hollow or soft point (center fire). The increased likelihood of expansion and retained kinetic energy is worth the reduced yardage. Bonded is better.
300gr .452 deep curl full bore w wad. Plain old Core-Lokt for CF.

Nice test , but what is a phone book ?
Its a book full of phone numbers and addresses for VCR repair technicians, video stores, record shops. Sometimes includes the occasional location ID so you can easily find the locations using your Mapsco. I used a phone book to find the store where I bought my new Beeper the other day.

Latest posts

Back