.451 or .504

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacecars

Reaction score
Looking at a couple different Super 91s and trying to decide on caliber. I had a .504 that shot very well but I hear that the .451s are usually real good shooters. I plan to use the No Excuses bullets or something similar but the “sabot shooter” on Doc’s sight has me intrigued also. What are the pros of the .451 over the .504? (since I have not seen a .410 for sale anywhere it is out)

Pros: faster twist 1:20 instead of 1:24 so better long range trajectory with the right bullets. Besides everyone but the "chief" needs a good squirrel gun.
unless you are hunting elk in colorado or somewhere where a 50 is required the 451 is the way to go. 😁

Pros: faster twist 1:20 instead of 1:24 so better long range trajectory with the right bullets. Besides everyone but the "chief" needs a good squirrel gun.
unless you are hunting elk in colorado or somewhere where a 50 is required the 451 is the way to go. 😁

I don’t know Chet, These 1-24 Twist .50s do pretty well long Range

At Least mine does 😉 Here is 750 Yards with my 1-24 Twist .50 a Week or so ago, My .45s are a bit Nervous of this BIG Bore :eek:

Nice shooting for sure
Pure preference to caliber, I like the 504s

I shoot a .50-90 Shiloh Sharps and have a bunch of different molds including an adjustable paper patch. I wonder if they would work in a .504 after sizing?

I kinda felt bad the other day, I opened my Gun Safe and all of my .45s were Huddled up in a Corner Hugging one another, as the BIG 1-24 Twist .50 Stood ALONE, Center & PROUD 😁

I don’t know Chet, These 1-24 Twist .50s do pretty well long Range

At Least mine does 😉 Here is 750 Yards with my 1-24 Twist .50 a Week or so ago, My .45s are a bit Nervous of this BIG Bore :eek:

There is no doubt a 50 cal can shoot 750 yards even a 1000 yards but the 45 has dominated long range competition for a long time and there is a reason for that. Which is why the 45 is still the chosen caliber for long range today whether with a Gibbs style percussion or a modern Bestill custom . 45 is king
Besides you ever shoot a dquirrel witha 50? What a mess. Everyone needs a squirrel gun 😁

There is no doubt a 50 cal can shoot 750 yards even a 1000 yards but the 45 has dominated long range competition for a long time and there is a reason for that. Which is why the 45 is still the chosen caliber for long range today whether with a Gibbs style percussion or a modern Bestill custom . 45 is king
Besides you ever shoot a dquirrel witha 50? What a mess. Everyone needs a squirrel gun 😁

I know this WELL my Friend :lewis: I just had to Give the BIG .50 a Plug :lewis: You don’t see many Folks Shooting the BIG .50 Bores Looooooooooong Range, I think it’s neat to see them out there doing it, as they are VERY Capable in the Right Hands

If you take 2 bullets the same weight but one is a 45 and one is a 50, the 45 will nearly always have a better BC and will always have a better sectional density. The 45s do mild to wild loads with less effort/recoil and cost per shot....usually. That little Gould HP in a 45cal for example is a wonderful low recoil deer hunting option.

The Super 91 .451 arrived today! The laminated stock is a lot lighter than I thought it would be. It has an aluminum ram rod that is missing the cap for the bullet puller. I contacted Doc about getting a delrin rod made

The Super 91 .451 arrived today! The laminated stock is a lot lighter than I thought it would be. It has an aluminum ram rod that is missing the cap for the bullet puller. I contacted Doc about getting a delrin rod made

Why not make your own Delrin Rod? Actually all you do is Cut them at the unfinished end. I have them in Every Muzzleloader i own.

They come full length, in 10-32 (Typical for Muzzleloaders) and 8-32 (Typical for Centerfire) You simply Cut them to the Length you need, That easy
https://www.buffaloarms.com/delrin-flexible-ramrod-blank-3-tre1181640.html
And then ad a Jag to it, Simply Screws in. I ad a little Blue Loctite to keep them from Backing out. This one fits the Rod above
https://www.buffaloarms.com/45-caliber-cleaning-jag-10-32-tre1122456.html

I have not run across one of those for sale but if I do I would probably try one out

The 410 really is an awesome little beast although not legal in every state for deer hunting but they are getting more and more rare and are definitely harder to find.

You can’t go wrong with any of the calibers honestly but between the two you’re looking at I would jump on a 451 first just at a personal preference

Greg

Latest posts

Back