.50 Cal Patched Roundball (.490 vs .495)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I shot patched Roundball this evening, they are sure a LOT of Fun :lewis: and a welcome change from BIG HEAVY Bullets :)

My same 60 Yard Spot
dCgPHQR.jpg

My Home Cast .490 and .495 Balls, Cast from PURE Lead. 30 minutes in my Vibratory tumbler with a pinch of powdered Graphite to smooth out Sprues. Patches are from Bulk Pocket Drill material i purchased, I cut these on my Drill press using cutters i made from Hole Drills, Lubed with Peanut Oil
PAsTJRl.jpg

Group in the Black was the .490 Ball, Group in the White was the .495 Ball
2SVScWW.jpg

Recovered Patches, they Look good :lewis:
Oxes87M.jpg

I shot patched Roundball this evening, they are sure a LOT of Fun :lewis: and a welcome change from BIG HEAVY Bullets :)

My same 60 Yard Spot
dCgPHQR.jpg

My Home Cast .490 and .495 Balls, Cast from PURE Lead. 30 minutes in my Vibratory tumbler with a pinch of powdered Graphite to smooth out Sprues. Patches are from Bulk Pocket Drill material i purchased, I cut these on my Drill press using cutters i made from Hole Drills, Lubed with Peanut Oil
PAsTJRl.jpg

Group in the Black was the .490 Ball, Group in the White was the .495 Ball
2SVScWW.jpg

Recovered Patches, they Look good :lewis:
Oxes87M.jpg

Your not getting soft on us shooting those little babies !!

How thick is the pocket drill?
Been thinking about trying some.
One of my rifles seems to like .018 pillow ticking but I think I could go with something a bit thicker.
I also like the grouping with the 495 ball. I only ever shot the 490's.

Want something thicker than ticking, then try old blue Jean material. Preferably off the back side of the pant legs.

Most bullet shooters should develop a patched ball load for their rifle(s). Four reasons.

1. It costs FAR less than shooting bullets does.

2. WAY less recoil.

3. #1 & #2 add up to A LOT MORE practice time to keep one's shooting skills from getting rusty.

4. Even a 1:14" rate of twist .45 caliber inline muzzleloading rifle barrel is capable of a patched ball load that will allow for practice out to at least 30 yards, perhaps 50 yards depending upon the final powder charge.

The faster the rate of twist, and the shallower the depth of the grooves in the rifling, the lower the maximum powder charge will be before the energy behind the patched ball exceeds the rifling's ability to hold onto the patch and for the rifling to spin the ball for stability. Another term for this is when the patched ball strips the rifling, or the patched ball is just pushed straight down the barrel without benefit from the rifling.

Whatever term you use to describe it, the result is terrible accuracy.

That's why so many inline shooters think it's not worth their while to spend the time developing a patched ball load for their rifle. They think that a measley 30-50 grains of fffg black powder is insignificant compared to the heftier charges of Triple7 & BH209 that most inline shooters are using for hunting purposes.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Even 30 grains of fffg black powder behind a 181.82 grain, 0.495" diameter ball will kill small game up to coyote size quite effectively out to 40-50 yards. No further than that, mind you, but within limitations, a VERY CAPABLE hunting load.

And how much powder, & power is REALLY required for practice. A dozen, or so, full power loads right before the hunting season is all that any accomplished hunter should need to get ready, IF THEY HAVE BEEN PRACTICING REGULARLY, throughout the off season.

How thick is the pocket drill?
Been thinking about trying some.
One of my rifles seems to like .018 pillow ticking but I think I could go with something a bit thicker.
I also like the grouping with the 495 ball. I only ever shot the 490's.

.020 Thou, This Pocket Drill is stronger than Ticking, I much prefer it :lewis:
koDfYTs.jpg

Most barrels will deliver better accuracy with a ball measuring 0.005" under bore diameter, as opposed to looser fitting balls. The goal is to completely fill the grooves with patch material.

All three of my old barrels used the same cotton duck canvas material that I bought at a fabric store. I didn't measure in those days, but if I had to guess, I would say that it measured approximately 0.024" thick. All I know is that it was considerably thicker than the blue jeans material that I had been using. And, that worked pretty good.

I think the Douglas .45 caliber barrel had 0.010" to 0.012" deep square bottom grooves. I never really knew, or cared, as a 17 year old. Both of the Getz barrels had, if I recall correctly, 0.016" deep round bottom grooves.

I cut my patches at the muzzle with a razor sharp patch knife after seating the ball just below the surface of the crown. A good sharp rap with a comfortable short starter that I made myself that didn't bruise the palm of my hand sent the ball 6" down the bore. Short, 6"-8" strokes of the hickory ramrod was all it took to smoothly seat the patched ball on the powder charge. Never came close to breaking any of the hickory ramrods on my rifles.

The 0.005" under bore diameter balls in all three barrels, along with the tight cotton duck canvas material patches, made for very fine accuracy.

You've probably shared your process with the bore polish previously, but do you mind one more lesson for the uninformed? Your results are phenomenal!

You've probably shared your process with the bore polish previously, but do you mind one more lesson for the uninformed? Your results are phenomenal!

It’s a simple process. The key is a TIGHT Fitting patched Jag, Simply ad the Bore polish Compound and Run 100 or so Strokes (1 stroke is to the Breech plug and all the way back out to Exit) Replace the Patches as they wear out. When done, Do a thorough cleaning, and lastly coat well with a liberal amount of Gun oil to protect the Metal. That’s it :lewis:

I have the same GM barrel on my Hawken. Had it for 20 years or so. Killed a pile of deer with it and never found it to be fussy about what it shoots or the powder charge. I would suggest shooting PRB if you don't already. Cheap and easy. I think a lot of hunters underestimate the PRB. Try it sometime.

Latest posts

Back