200 Yard Patched Roundball Gong Shoot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Patched Roundball was on the Menu this morning, I really enjoy Shooting Roundball :lewis: It was an odd morning for Lighting, It doesn’t look it in the Video, But I had to work harder at seeing the Gong good and Sharp this morning. Lighting, and Target color are CRITICAL when shooting with open/peep sights.

204 Yards

My Home Cast .495 Balls, Tumbled to smooth out the Sprues (Vibratory tumbler) with a bit of Graphite, Weighed and kept to 1/10 of a Grain, They ALL weigh 184 Grains :lewis:
sMY2fnn.jpg

A look from the Gong back to my Truck
yNQLQw9.jpg

These 184 Grain .495 Balls stil have a LOT of WHACK to em at 200 Yards :), this was all I could find of them Splattered on the Ground
GrjO5ta.jpg

How i load the Over Powder patch, I center the Patch the best i can over the Bore and start it with my Short Starter
IuV5pWC.jpg

Last edited:
Over powder patch is a good option. Dr. Sam always recommended Hornet Nest material as a protecting buffer between the powder and patch. In the SF Bay Area, where I shoot, it is sometime difficult to find un-inhabited hornet nests. I relayed that information to Sam and he sent me a brown envelope full of nest material. I have his email, too..:2cool:

Those round balls can sure get there!
After watching your other videos, I got some 495 round balls for my 1/66 twist barreled Tennessee rifle. Unbelievable the difference in accuracy now.

With the same sight setting you are using for the 200 yard how high is the point of impact at say 100 yards?

Lewis, Would a “wet” mix of NASA & Stihl 2cyc synthetic work for patch lube. I have the Nasa but have yet to mix with the liquid.
Greg

Lewis, Would a “wet” mix of NASA & Stihl 2cyc synthetic work for patch lube. I have the Nasa but have yet to mix with the liquid.
Greg

Stihl HP Ultra mixed 50/50 With Peanut Oil, in a Small Spray bottle, Simply Dampen the patches :lewis:

With the same sight setting you are using for the 200 yard how high is the point of impact at say 100 yards?

About 15 inches, this ball is shooting MUCH flatter than one might think :) about 250-300 Yards is where they REALLY take a Dive

Back