50 Caliber Star Tip Mz

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning was able to put the table on a kinda flat spot out 188 yard from the target. Best thing, there was hardly any breeze; what there was, blew straight at the shooter from the target. The other day, the dam 1X scope was removed from the Ultra-Lite; a 1.5-5 scope was installed, so one could shoot out a ways. That 50 Ultra-Lite has a sweet trigger.

When one sees the 50 star tip next to a 45 star tip, it sure looks large for some reason. Makes one wish to take the 50 bullet hunting.

IMG_4866.JPG

The W209 primers were hand picked to be 0.302" or longer. This resulted in a perfectly clean burn with zero blow back, and shiny primers. The load was 95 grain Blackhorn powder. Scope elevation dial was turned up 5½ moa from 100 yard zero.

First shot was at bottom target using a vegetable fiber wad. First shot was from a fouled, cold barrel. No cleaning between shots. Three total shots using the vegetable fiber wad at bottom target. The next three shots were at the top target and for these a poly wad was used. Barrel was warm, but not hot; no swabbing between shots.

IMG_4865.JPG

These Fury bullet are easy to size, and don't spring back at all.

Yes, the 50 Ultra-Lite. Dennis sends the bullets knurled. They are too big for my rifles. A smooth sizer was used to make it easy to push them down to the powder.

Nice shooting, that makes me want to get some to try in my 50 cal. Mountaineer.

Does the 50 Star Tip have a hollow cavity inside of it? Seems odd the 50 Star Tip is lighter than the 45 Star Tip, yet the 50 is longer and bigger around.

Yes, the bullet is hollow.

IMG_4876.JPG

From the cut it is ½" of hollow to the lead. For elk, perhaps one could try the 320 grain version, which would have 45 grain more of lead instead of air. My plan is to use this hollow bullet for deer this year.

Good report and shooting especially with only 5 magnification at that distance. Would be interesting to see wool wad results.

May I ask what they need to be sized to in order to fit the Ultra? I have a Knight LRH I'd like to try them in but I'd rather not buy an adjustable .50 sizing die.

Seems like 0.501 is what works good. Could make for easier to load if they were 0.5005, but not necessary.

Having the adjustable sizing die is part of the fun.

Finally got around to clocking this bullet/load. Was quite surprised at the result.

MV (10') = 1759 fps

That is average of four shots. SD = 7, extreme spread = 20 fps.

Used three different type wads, no real difference. Speed a way way less than Western Powders say.

On March 27 the 265g Fury stb was clocked using the same load as was the 275g Fury star tip mz yesterday.

.......set up the clock about ten feet out. Three shots averaged 1917 fps. Calculated ballistics agree with real life so far.....

That 45 caliber bullet shot in a 45 caliber rifle clocked at 1917 fps.
This 50 caliber bullet shot in a 50 caliber rifle clocked at 1759 fps.

Same load, same load, 95 grain Blackhorn

Reveals one possible reason 45 caliber are better long distance rifle than 50 caliber?

May I ask what they need to be sized to in order to fit the Ultra? I have a Knight LRH I'd like to try them in but I'd rather not buy an adjustable .50 sizing die.
my knight .50 had a 24 twist and i used .503 knurled from fury, he used to have sample packs to match your bore with, I posted a group quite a while back, believe title was Fury bullets

Last edited:
Back