50x40 sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone try the dark blue 50x40 sabots from both MMP and Harvester? Is there any noticeable difference loading, sabot length, accuracy?

Are these for shooting 40 cal bullets out of a 50 cal gun?

If so, I have a bunch of the sabots but haven’t tried them yet.

I've only used the MMP's and I'm down to 12. The Harvesters are a smidge over half the price and easier to find so was thinking of ordering them unless they perform different.

The Harvesters are Crush Ribs. They load way to easily in my one ML. I have better results with the MMPs.

The Crush Ribs worked well in early Fall while preparing for the season. Started having occasional misfires once it got cold out. Switched to the MMPs and the issue went away. The breechplug was properly maintained and the correct Primer used for the powder being shot. Have only used MMPs since.

The Crush Ribs worked well in early Fall while preparing for the season. Started having occasional misfires once it got cold out. Switched to the MMPs and the issue went away. The breechplug was properly maintained and the correct Primer used for the powder being shot. Have only used MMPs since.
I had a similar problem with PowerBelts, and I ended up switching back to sabots.

Why would a sabot have anything to do with a muzzleloader misfirng?It just sits on the powder.Perhaps not enough pressure when loading.
I was using BH209. The Crush Ribs with a 200 gr SST loaded with little resistance going down.

My sabots from harvester 50x40 and a 200 grain sst in my Brux barrel loads with about 17 pounds of pressure.Not too lose nor too tight.I raelly like them.I shot 6 rounds today and went 2 inches high at 100 yds.No fight with the loading.

MMP will sell any of its sabots in bulk, if you are willing to purchase approximately 50,000 plus of them.

The cost per sabot drops to an exponentially lower price, but the catch is that you have to be willing to purchase the entire case/cardboard box, of sabots as it comes directly from the company that injection molds the sabots for MMP.

Once the owner of MMP packages the sabots in 50 sabot packs, he is unwilling to consider discounting them.

At least, that was his position pre-Covid when I last spoke to him.

As I recall, the cardboard boxes measured either 18"×18"×18", or 24"×24"×24".

Regardless of the size of the box, I think that the count for the .45 caliber sabots was approximately 65,000?

Once the owner of MMP packages the sabots in 50 sabot packs, he is unwilling to consider discounting them.

Actually MMP pricing goes down with 5 and 10 PACKs of sabots. Its says so right on his website.
Prices are for a bag of 50. Discounts available for purchases of 5 bags or more.
https://mmpsabots.com/store/blue-hph-sabot50-pcs/
_thumb_mmpsabots_96350.jpg

I may have both the MMP and Harvesters 50x40s here and no longer use either. Another vendor is Precision Rifle Bullet, his sabots are MMPs.
https://www.prbullet.com/shop/products_view.php?sSKU=0502

Actually MMP pricing goes down with 5 and 10 PACKs of sabots. Its says so right on his website.

https://mmpsabots.com/store/blue-hph-sabot50-pcs/
_thumb_mmpsabots_96350.jpg

I may have both the MMP and Harvesters 50x40s here and no longer use either. Another vendor is Precision Rifle Bullet, his sabots are MMPs.
https://www.prbullet.com/shop/products_view.php?sSKU=0502

Thanks for the info on the discounted MMP sabots.

I guess that Covid-19 has changed a lot of vendors' business models. When I first got my CVA Optima V2 pistol from MtnMonkey I was looking to purchase a fairly large quantity of the various .50 caliber sabots so that I could experiment at the range without having to worry about running out of components.

After figuring out that the various online vendors that sold MMP sabots were not going to be willing to in any serious way offer me a decent discount for 1000-5000 sabots, I called MMP up and spoke with the owner himself.

At that time, May of 2019, his only offer to me was to purchase an entire cardboard box of the sabots as they were delivered to him from the plastics company that injection molded the sabots for him. That way he would not have to spend any of his time breaking them down into retail packages of 50.

I cannot at this late date, two plus years later, recall the exact details of his offer to me.

It's nice to know that better deals are now available, other than the single package of 50 sabots price.

Of course, the cost of the sabots is substantially higher now in December of 2021, than they were back in 2019.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back