6.5x50 Arisaka

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuprofessor

Reaction score
I will be heading to Texas to hunt some meat hogs for the freezer.   I already have a 7.7mm Arisaka rifle my F-I-L gave me, so when a friend offered me a chance at a 6.5 version- well.   I am picking up a sporterized 6.5 Arisaka rifle  tomorrow.  Ammo has been hard to find and the brass is expensive (about $1.65 per- JUST FOR THE BRASS), but a local place had some FMJ ammo.  I plan to use the FMJ, then reload the brass.  While in Texas I may even try the 6.5 out on a hog or two.  With FMJ I will be taking head shots.

good accurate gun. I remember some years ago at the Whittington Center a guy asked my brother in law and I to give it a try. Not sure if he couldnt shoot for damn but when I put my shot within 1 1/2" of the bulls eye and just of just had a laugh like.. huh, SOB.  LOL.

nuprofessor: I hope those FMJs aren't Berdan-primed. A lot of FMJs in that caliber are military issue and foreign made. Also a possibility for having corrosive primers.

I got stuck with 1000 ".308s" made in China with corrosive Berdan primers. I finally "donated" them to a guy with a selective-fire M-14 in exchange for some work. He shot them up in a weekend. :shooter:

Can't recall the exact name brand- PRECISION something (yellow and black box).  It is remanufactured ammo and if I remember correctly there is no warnings on the box about corrosive or Berdan primed & is uncrimped boxer primed (have it packed away with my stuff out in the garage).

I.ve got a 6,5x58 Portuguese Mauser and can tell you first hand that them 6,5's are exceptionally accurate:)

FrontierMuzzleloading said:
I would have freakin bought those 308's!
I wish I'd have known that 2 years ago. The shipping would have been a bugger though. Two boxes of 500 each weigh a LOT!!

oh i know it but its well worth it now. I have a 308 semiauto that hasnt been fed a single bullet in at least 3 years.

Rifle had some minor issues.  Mainly I could not get the safety to engage properly.  Took it to a gunsmith that found when the previous owner had the bolt handle changed from straight to bent, the weld was placed too low (action lugs would not engage).  Had it redone along with polishing the chamber.  Still needs the crown redone (said metal cleaning rod made it slightly oval), but gunsmith did not have a 6.5mm centering bit.  Still shoots pretty accurate at 100 yards (3" group w/ iron sites), but at 200 fliers everywhere (can't even call it 'groups')- 24" square target w/ 48" backer and as much as 26" between shots.  Gunsmith told me that would probably be the case.  He has a centering bit on order- said it should be here just before Christmas.  Also bought a 4x12x40 scope for it.
Now to find ammo at reasonable price.  Bought some 140gr FMG to mess around with (saving brass) then planning to reload 129gr SST.

Consider having it rebarreled?  Any .308 or #X57 based cartridge will fit really nicely in that action.  I have one in .308 and another in 6.5-257 Roberts improved.  Timney is selling triggers again with Remington style safeties so you could bypass the factory safety if you like.

Archie sometimes half the fun of shooting the old ladies is making up ammo for them , most all my CF rifles are on the obsolete list.

Spitfire said:
Archie sometimes half the fun of shooting the old ladies is making up ammo for them , most all my CF rifles are on the obsolete list.
Any favorite old ladies :?:

Marty the 577/450 Martini Henry , 450 no 2 , 45-70 ,  .577 Snider Enfield of which I have three variants , 6.5x58 Port Mauser and the .310 Rook are just some of my favourites.

Only in Africa would someone have a  :cherry:  450  :cherry:  lying around...and brave enough to use it. :lol: 

Now I'm curoious about the 450.  Double or single, and what load have you settled on...particularly the powder  :?:

Both the 450's are single shot Martini rifles and I use 100gr 2F Wano (Grafs) with a .448 (PP to .462) 480gr lead bullet in the .577/.450 .

The .450 no 2 use 80gr 2F Wano with the same bullet PP to .460

Spitfire said:
Correct-a-mundo sir!  I have been loonie for pre-WWI military rifles for as long as I can remember.  Locating or even handcrafting hard to find cartridge cases is one of the most rewarding experiences of gun ownership IMNSHO.  The Martini action has been on my mind lately.  I would love to find an orphaned donor action to build a sporter on.  I have done the same on Mausers, Springfield 03's & 17's, #3 & P14 Enfields and recently the 1884 Springfield trapdoor.  With that being said I would never destroy a complete rifle, that would just be so wrong.

Yep I agree with you fully on destroying good rifles.....sacrilege !

I'm in the process of barrelling a  Mk 2 Enfield to 45-70 , should also be a blast to shoot.

I love the idea of the .45-70 on that action.  Are there feeding issues with magazines and feed rails?

Not a lot , the .45-70 and .303 have nearly the same rim diameter. Had to modify the feed ramp and mag follower to accept the .45-70 though.

Latest posts

Back