777 pellets vs 777 loose powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sport72186

Reaction score
any opinions on which is better. some people ive talked to feel that measuring loose powder on your own allows for a more controlled load measurement while the other side feels it is just easier to use premeasured pellets. Any opinions on the matter? which is a better choice and why? pros and cons of both?

I have never shot pellets, but have definite reasons for shooting powder:

It is much cheaper, more bang for the buck!

There is no question that it is easier to "tweek" a load up or down 5 grains

There is no worry about crushing pellets by applying too much pressure.

Powder is legal in every state. I mostly hunt Colorado, where they only use allow loose powder.

At the range it is more inconvenient to measure out every load, but in the field, there is really no advantage. I have several premeasured loads in my possibles bag, and they load just as fast as pellets.

If you're someone that just wants a few more days of hunting each year, and a easy gun to remember loads, etc.. Pellets might be a good option. You could buy a new box of pellets each year, use a couple to check the rifle, and then hunt with what is left.

If you are someone that intends to do a lot of shooting over the year, ie; hunt, target shoot, etc.. then loose powder is the best bet.

All this is of course taking for granted that the rifle you select likes 100 grains of 150 grains of powder and a projectile. If it does not, then with loose powder you might be better able to find the load your rifle likes.

I've used both Triple Se7en loose and pellets for years. Last year I used the Triple Se7en Magnum pellets which I really liked. Pellets are VERY easy to use and usually very accurate. BUT they are really expensive. Of course loose powder allows the shooter to custom tailor their load to any situation...and it's a good bit less expensive..

I actually get the best accuracy with 777 pellets (which surprises me) and have hunted with them for four years. I use loose powder for a lot of my practice though. It's still pretty accurate and a lot less expensive.

I've tried loose T7 and T7mag pellets in my Encore for the past two years. The best accuracy has come with the pellets, and I tried a lot of different amounts of the loose stuff. Velocity was virtually identical when comparing 2 pellets and 100grs by volume of loose T7. I like shooting little groups so the added cost of the pellets is worth it to me, and the convenience of using them makes it a no brainer.

Actually there is a little more to it than that; The vibration or whip of the barrel is involved, while it is true that most guns that will shoot with any certain powder can be made to shoot best will loose, it is also true that there are exception to that; it is also true that some guns prefer a certain powder or wont shoot well with a certain powder.
I believe that the best advice when it comes to powders is pick something [my choice would be BH or Pyrodex that normally shoots in most guns well, then find a few bullets that suit your needs and shoot well in your gun, and then group shoot with a combination you know works reasonably well with all powders and go with the most consistent one. Lee

Back