A modern flintlock setup for deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@EthanRubin_123

I wish i could be more help to you here Bud, All of my Rifles are Cap locks. Flintlock ignition is something i have ZERO experience with, In fact i have never even fired one. I don’t know what is Available in Flintlock Rifles?

If it were me, I would try and find a Pedrsersoli Hawken Hunter Flintlock, I had that Same Rifle in Percussion and they are VERY WELL Built :lewis: They have a “Snappy” 1:24 Twist, Specifically designed to Shoot Bullets. Since you want to Shoot Bullets, i would NOT get Anything with a Slower Twist Rate than 1-48

You might find a Lyman Great Plains “Hunter” in Flintlock? They are a 1:32 Twist
Ok thanks for the suggestion, the problem is I can’t find a pedersoli hawken hunter anywhere except for one on gun broker that’s going for over 1k which is far over budget. I was looking at the Lyman Great Plains Hunter but as you mentioned it’s longer and heavier than what I’m probably looking for. I’m going to a local muzzle loading shop near me called Dixon’s on Sunday to talk to some people who are far more experienced than me. Thanks for the quick response though!

Traditions makes a gun called a pa pellet ultralight that has a 1:28 twist and can from videos I’ve seen can shoot black powder subs. The biggest reason for wanting to use a sub is due to the corrosive properties of black powder. However it seems that traditions is not held in high regard. Also the tc firestorm, although not in production also seemed to be a good “modern” flintlock. So I feel like it definitely does exist, just is not plentiful by any means.
Should not have said does not exist , just as common for under $500.00 as a unicorn/Ed

I know that some people bash Traditions muzzleloaders. I currently own 3 of their rifles in percussion lock and they shoot good for me.
Traditions offers a new model flintlock, ultralight with a chromoly barrel in a fast 1/24 twist.
Single or double set trigger.
Around $550.00

I know that some people bash Traditions muzzleloaders. I currently own 3 of their rifles in percussion lock and they shoot good for me.
Traditions offers a new model flintlock, ultralight with a chromoly barrel in a fast 1/24 twist.
Around $550.00
Yeah I’ve been looking at that gun you’re talking about, however people will trash the lock systems and claim that the rifles in general are low quality. However you disagree?

Traditions makes a gun called a pa pellet ultralight that has a 1:28 twist and can from videos I’ve seen can shoot black powder subs. The biggest reason for wanting to use a sub is due to the corrosive properties of black powder. However it seems that traditions is not held in high regard. Also the tc firestorm, although not in production also seemed to be a good “modern” flintlock. So I feel like it definitely does exist, just is not plentiful by any means.

I have no experience with flintlocks, or Traditions quality either, but thought I'd address your comment in bold.
There can be a lot of misconceptions about real black powder (BP) and how corrosive it is vs. the subs claiming to be "non-corrosive". An example is when Pyrodex first came out, many read that "non-corrosive" part and thought they'd be able to shoot it and not clean right away.
Ask anyone that did that and then left their gun dirty for a few weeks and they'll tell you about how badly it corroded their barrel.
It was basically a play on words by Pyrodex, as they meant it is non-corrosive BEFORE BEING FIRED. Once fired it is just as corrosive as real BP, some will argue even more so. Real BP is also "non-corrosive" before it is fired, it doesn't cause any issues sitting in a barrel for a while without being burnt.
So, other than using BH209, which won't work in a flinter, you will need to clean whatever weapon you choose fairly soon no matter what real BP or sub you use. I personally was raised to clean after using any kind of rifle, it is just part of the process if I go shooting.
I have read that triple 7 is pretty nice for light fouling, and even work with a guy that is very gun knowledgeable that will leave his caplock uncleaned for a couple days during hunting season using Triple 7. His rifle shoots best with a fouled bore and he says he's had zero issues doing so. This guy eats, sleeps, and you-know-what's anything firearms related. He isn't a blow-hard, he really does know his stuff.
Real BP is not some terrible, scary, ruin your barrel powder in comparison to a majority of the subs though. I personally would choose 3f real BP for the main charge and 4f real BP for the pan in a flintlock from what I've read. Be aware that 3f is finer powder and thus creates more pressure when going off compared to 2f, do not exceed max charge recommendations of the manufacturer of whatever rifle you end up getting. The manual for it should have both a 2f and 3f max charge listed in it.
As far as a lighter charge, many deer have been ethically taken with charges in the 60-70 grain range. What charge you settle on will partially be determined by your rifle. For example, it may shoot poor groups at 60 grains but then really tighten up at 70. You'll figure that out with some range time.
The heavier the projectile you choose, the more it's going to smack your shoulder. Since you are wanting a lighter weapon that is easier to hold up when aiming, that's also going to equal more felt recoil.
If there are any muzzleloader groups or clubs near you, they will likely be more than willing to help you and even let you test shoot some of the rifles they own I'll bet. This would be a wealth of knowledge for you. Many are on social media such as FB.

Ok thanks for the suggestion, the problem is I can’t find a pedersoli hawken hunter anywhere except for one on gun broker that’s going for over 1k which is far over budget. I was looking at the Lyman Great Plains Hunter but as you mentioned it’s longer and heavier than what I’m probably looking for. I’m going to a local muzzle loading shop near me called Dixon’s on Sunday to talk to some people who are far more experienced than me. Thanks for the quick response though!
Ahh, Dixon's I love going to that store. You'll be able to see and hold several rifles like the Deerstalker and Great Plains Rifle, etc I think you'll like the Deerstalker, but you got to see what feels right for you and what your pocket book tells you. :rolleyes: :D

Most folks who shoot flinters are traditionalists. Any gun that doesn't look like it was carried by "Ol' Dan'l Boone hiz'elf" causes them great annoyance and displeasure.

As I understand your quest, you are looking for a gun with really only three criteria: Reasonably cheap, qualifies for the late flintlock only season, and you would like to shoot conical or sabot rounds. Sure looks to me like that Traditions PA Pellet Ultralight might be what you have in mind. And they are available. Check at MidwayUSA.

Several years ago I wanted a cheap but functional muzzleloader to leave at a friends farm in Wisconsin. We hunt the muzzle season there every year and bringing my gun along on the air travel was getting to be a pain. I bought a Traditions Buckstalker and am quite happy with it. I tried several loads and projectile systems in it and finally settled on this:

PA280008.JPG

The patches all over the target is where the other stuff went. Hardly traditional, some say ugly, but the Traditions guns can shoot.

Flintlocks take some getting used to. You might want to check out:
Flintlocks: How to Shoot Them

If you are going to use a sabot you probably want to try the Harvester Crush Rib and Hornady XTP handgun bullets. This combination is very easy to load and is about the most economical for the couple of hundred shots you will need to take to dial in, and then get comfortable and fairly competent with, your first flintlock muzzleloader.

Good luck, and please, keep the board updated with your progress.

To the OP, the lyman hunter flintlock is exactly what you are looking for. I have picked up two used ones in great shape for less that $300 each over the past two years without even actively looking. They shoot well, they handle and point well for their size.

The blackpowder subs may be slightly less corrosive but not much if any. In fact many folks reported that Pyrodex is much more corrosive than black powder. Any substitute is going to be difficult or impossible to ignite in a flintlock so on balance, you’re just going to need black for it’s ignition properties... and corrosion is not a problem since you’re going to need to clean up after any of them the same day you shoot them.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885718319

Last edited:
I’m a 15 year old boy that’s 5’5 and 111 lbs. I’m looking to buy a flintlock to extend the notoriously strict Pennsylvania hunting season. I want a flintlock that has more modern specs and can shoot sabots/powerbelts as well as can shoot black powder substitutes. Price isn’t a massive issue, but would prefer to keep the budget under $500. Are there any rifles that jump out? Also, what sabots/Powerbelts would you recommend and with what powder and what amount of powder? Thanks in advance, Ethan Rubin

As a head up- I just bought a Great Plains hunter signature series and will be testing it soon- it should arrive to my mail box today(as in Friday). I have a form where I’m going to post pictures of it and group testing. I am going to do one group with the factory sights and then the after market Lyman with the globe front sights. It should be interesting.

I think the flintlock version will be a strong contender for what you are looking for.

Around $550.00

They do?
All im seeing is a 1-28 twist. Got a link to the 1-24?

Back