A modern flintlock setup for deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my search, they seem to have originally had double set triggers but changed with a new owner. The" EC load muzzle "sounds suspiciously like QLA.

YEP! That “EC Load Muzzle“ is a FOR SURE Deal breaker for me

NEW For 2004!!!! The RMC Accusporter LTD has all the features of the RMC Accusporter, plus a removable breech plug and EC Load System. Our gun combines a 1:28 twist Green Mountain Barrel with an L & R Lock which is hand fitted into a classic wood laminated stock. Added features include: a precision located lock assembly to assure a perfect fit between the lock and the barrel, all metal fiber optic sights and a touch hole alignment that is in the optimum position for reliable, fast ignition. The removable breech plug will make cleaning a breeze with the Accusporter LTD, and easy to remove those “stuck” loads. The new EC Load System makes loading conical and sabot style bullets easy. The relieved barrel bore allows easy insertion of the bullet into the barrel, and provides positive alignment when starting the bullet. A custom made, quality gun which is made in America. Available in right or left hand models and 24 & 28 inch barrel lengths. Includes hard guncase.

I have always wanted to try a Flintlock, And This one would have been PERFECT if it had a “Set trigger” and Regular Muzzle. They have AWESOME Barrels, Locks, and I think the Laminated Stocks are COOL!
But since they are a NON Set Trigger, and have a QLA Muzzle (EC Load Muzzle) I Personally wouldn’t even consider one of these.

I did not realize they started making them with a QLA type muzzle. That would be a deal breaker for me as well. I wonder if maybe you couldn't order one without the QLA.
I stop by the RMC booth at The Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, Pa every year. I usually pickup some OX Yoke wads along with other supplies from them. In talking with them I have always asked and teased them about making a percussion sidelock as well. Every time they tell me it won't happen due to lack of demand.
Having a removable breech plug on a sidelock would be awesome.

Ok thanks for the suggestion, the problem is I can’t find a pedersoli hawken hunter anywhere except for one on gun broker that’s going for over 1k which is far over budget. I was looking at the Lyman Great Plains Hunter but as you mentioned it’s longer and heavier than what I’m probably looking for. I’m going to a local muzzle loading shop near me called Dixon’s on Sunday to talk to some people who are far more experienced than me. Thanks for the quick response though!
You are lucky, Dixon is the right spot to go see for information, great people and knowledgeable, been there a few times at there end of summer gun show , good luck

Well OP, after 4 pages of kicking the question around, didja get a gun??

You will likely be happy with that gun. If you want, you can go even more traditional. I am not sure what your state mandates with muzzleloaders but some states dont even allow sabots. You may want to try round balls. They are about 15 cents a piece, and it is REALLY easy to make your own patches for less than 1 cent each. If you can find some soft lead somewhere, a Lee roundball mold can be had for 20 bucks. You will need a melter however. Welcome to the hobby and lifestyle that you will never stop spending money on.

Welcome to the hobby and lifestyle that you will never stop spending money on.

I stop spending money on this hobby often. I bought a Knight Bighorn around February. Then I stopped. I bought a knight Elite on Auction in September or so. Then I stopped. Then I bought the conversion kit for bare primers from SSK. Then I stopped. Then I bought many pounds of powder. Then I stopped. Then I bought 500 lead bullets from GT Bullets. Then I stopped. Then I bought 500 sabots from MMP. Then I stopped.

😀

I stop spending money on this hobby often. I bought a Knight Bighorn around February. Then I stopped. I bought a knight Elite on Auction in September or so. Then I stopped. Then I bought the conversion kit for bare primers from SSK. Then I stopped. Then I bought many pounds of powder. Then I stopped. Then I bought 500 lead bullets from GT Bullets. Then I stopped. Then I bought 500 sabots from MMP. Then I stopped.

😀
Your spending habits sound an awfully lot like mine, except throw in a kayak and never having enough fishing gear....oh can't forget about the camping equipment too

I’m a 15 year old boy that’s 5’5 and 111 lbs. I’m looking to buy a flintlock to extend the notoriously strict Pennsylvania hunting season. I want a flintlock that has more modern specs and can shoot sabots/powerbelts as well as can shoot black powder substitutes. Price isn’t a massive issue, but would prefer to keep the budget under $500. Are there any rifles that jump out? Also, what sabots/Powerbelts would you recommend and with what powder and what amount of powder? Thanks in advance, Ethan Rubin
Most factory flintlocks are junk, mostly because they are trying to put a flintlock in a rifle designed for a cap lock and the hammer throw is too short to get a good reliable spark. I would look for a good used one at a rendezvous or hopefully there are some flintlock forums. A good custom is around $1500 anymore. I know that is too much for most young men. I have a Maryland Appalachian style with an ash stock, Montana barrel, and Siler lock for $650. I have owned it over 30 years. It has been carried more than shot. I have 8 flint locks and this is not my main gun.

Most folks who shoot flinters are traditionalists. Any gun that doesn't look like it was carried by "Ol' Dan'l Boone hiz'elf" causes them great annoyance and displeasure.

As I understand your quest, you are looking for a gun with really only three criteria: Reasonably cheap, qualifies for the late flintlock only season, and you would like to shoot conical or sabot rounds. Sure looks to me like that Traditions PA Pellet Ultralight might be what you have in mind. And they are available. Check at MidwayUSA.

Several years ago I wanted a cheap but functional muzzleloader to leave at a friends farm in Wisconsin. We hunt the muzzle season there every year and bringing my gun along on the air travel was getting to be a pain. I bought a Traditions Buckstalker and am quite happy with it. I tried several loads and projectile systems in it and finally settled on this:

View attachment 11452

The patches all over the target is where the other stuff went. Hardly traditional, some say ugly, but the Traditions guns can shoot.

Flintlocks take some getting used to. You might want to check out:
Flintlocks: How to Shoot Them

If you are going to use a sabot you probably want to try the Harvester Crush Rib and Hornady XTP handgun bullets. This combination is very easy to load and is about the most economical for the couple of hundred shots you will need to take to dial in, and then get comfortable and fairly competent with, your first flintlock muzzleloader.

Good luck, and please, keep the board updated with your progress.

second.

Back