A new tiller for the plots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Got a pull behind tiller for the ATV yesterday and dont you know it, the damn caliper for the articcat blew out on the right front wheel! I just about messed my undies when i pulled on the brake and that atv kept hauling :lol:

Anyway, got the tiller and will be doing my biggest plot area and then throw down the seed i have and let nature takes its course. I dont have what it takes to supply water this year so hopefully next year i will be in better shape. Also got the 1 point hitch to till the ground deeper. Looks like a great set up though, i hope it does the job.

First one that gets hit! I'll throw down the seed, wait and see what happens.
IMG_0090.jpg

you think so? Thats our problem around here, nothing ever grows, especially grass seed when you throw it out and water it, nothing ever pops up.

With the seeds i am planting, 15-15-15 is recommended.

I wouldnt make a good farmer thats for damn sure.

The trees have roots that go out laterally to the edge or beyond the width of the crown of the tree. They sap up all nutrients that you think the plants are using. They also shade out the new plants.
Farmers hate trees. They cost the farmers money due to poor yields.

The soil in mountain areas is mostly ground up rocks. The topsoil is washed downhill into the valleys leaving almost sterile ground up high. The deer, etc. are attracted to the plants with the most nutrients.

i hit this area 2? years ago with a bull dozer and removed a foot of soil before back dragging it. I got rid of a lot of the oak brush in that field. Last year the sun flowers grew 4 foot high but this year, nuttin!

This is a strange year. Remember how green MB was last year? Not this year. All those willow bushes are bare.

Funny this side of the pond the trees are already showing new growth and it's the dead of winter now :?:

Jon,

Is that virgin land or is it reclaimed strip mine? If it was mined in the past, you're going to need all the fertilizer you can afford.
Trace elements in the soil like selenium, chromium, iron, manganese, magnesium and calcium are all essential for good bones and antlers. Once it's depleted, the soil lacks the trace elements to nurture healthy, nutritious growth. A mineral supplement (not just salt) will tend to provide the deer with what they need. A local farm supply should have a 'special' cow mineral that has been formulated for your area. It's usually better and cheaper than using the name brand advertised deer mineral blocks. Along with fertilizer it can draw many more deer to your food plot area.

Cheaper to buy some good boots, and go do some real hunting.  

What happen to the smileys?

"I wouldnt make a good farmer thats for damn sure."

Neither would i. 

The farmer/rancher types in OK tell me i need to use glycophosphate vegetation killer and very expensive Round Up Ready seed.   A big time farmer whose property surrounds one of our properties on three sides gets on my nerves every time he mentions weeds in my food plots.    Asked him why   the deer walk through his 320 acre wheat fields to get to my game plots planted with horse feed oats that cost $9.50 per 50 pound bag.  He didn't have an answer for that. 

If you have access to a stable, horse manure builds up soil pretty fast.  Tilled in wood chips rot and build up the organic level of the soil.

Heres a pic of the tiller. Have to fix the brake on the atv now, but should have some info on how this set up does within 2 weeks.
IMG_0167.jpg

they are still there. All the way to the right side of the screen by the area where you change text color.

Where's the rear gang of discs? Using a single gang (usually called a "Bush 'n' Bog") will leave your plot not leveled. You'll have to reverse the gang and run over the plot again to level it.

Latest posts

Back