A tale of two xtp`s

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First is a .40 cal 180 grain driven by 50 gr of 3 f Swiss. Velocity unknown as my chrony took a wad... Anyway, I fed one to a doe at 50 yards with my Black Diamond Super .45 XR. It went in, broke a rib decently scrambled both lungs and exited. BANG flop. She weighed about 60 dressed. The 2nd was a 250 gr 45 cal from my .50 XR driven by 70 of 3 f Swiss 1600fps. 125 yard shot. It went in blew up the lungs and took out a rib exiting. She ran 50 yards and crashed. The 45/250 has been an amazing bullet for me. If it was all there was, I'd be happy. The 40/180 makes me a touch nervous as it's not rated to anywhere near as fast as I could drive them, hence the light load. The xtp continues to impress. Hard on the deer though...

I have taken a few with a 200 grn 40 cal XTP in my 45 cal and plan to use them for my main bullet this season. My speed is chroney'ed just over 2200 fps(110 gr B209). I'm usually looking for a 'soft tissue' shot, so opening up a bit quickly doesn't bother me.

The few I took with them have been close to bang-flops, including a coyote.

Wait a minute... you can't kill a deer with a ML using a small bullet and 50gr of powder!!! :lol: (at least some would have you believe that)

Nice job! :yeah: :applause:

Soo I shouldn't mention that my daughter and I have been dropping them out to 125 yards with 40 gr of 3f T7 and a TC cheap shot? 1300 fps btw. 2 grand with the 200 gr xtp! Wow! Bet it makes a cave in the chest... A nice thing with the light loads in the very minor recoil. Cheap shooting too!

Confederate rifleman said:
Soo I shouldn't mention that my daughter and I have been dropping them out to 125 yards with 40 gr of 3f T7 and a TC cheap shot? 1300 fps btw. 2 grand with the 200 gr xtp! Wow! Bet it makes a cave in the chest... A nice thing with the light loads in the very minor recoil. Cheap shooting too!

XTP's are nice bullets! I know Hornady makes some calibers in XTP Mag, which supposedly can handle even higher velocities than a similar caliber XTP. I'm not sure if they make the XTP Mag in .40 cal though.

TC Cheap Shots work well. I used a 240 gr Cheap Shot to take my first muzzle loader deer this past Halloween. It went in one side of the ribcage, pulped one lung, clipped the second and absolutely smashed the spinal column on it's way through. For deer sized game I think the Cheap Shot works just fine.

I actually have some XTP sabots for my rifle. I bought the Cheap Shots intending to use them for practice and then do final sight in with the XTP for hunting. But the Cheap Shots were very accurate, so I just went with them. I'm sure the XTP won't go to waste, since I see more ML rifles in my future.

I bought some Cheap shots when they were on sale some where...got like 5 packs..I got them for sighting in new scopes...I was really surprised when after i had the scope zeroed..I fired a few more at a new target...and they are very accurate...I would imagine that bullet would put a hurtin on deer...i was going to try shooting them sabotless out of .45 ..but was worried about leading in the barrel...there was some one here that used them for hunting...read it awhile back...and loved the performance of the bullet

Latest posts

Back