About to find out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1874sharpsshooter

Reaction score
About to find out if it’s really worth the extra money . I broke down and bought Swiss instead of Goex for the Gibbs . In the past I used Goex or a black powder sub . I decided to give Swiss 2 f a chance. I probably should have got some 1 1/2 also but I didn’t. Only got 2 f

I shoot Swiss 3F out of my Whites with no issues in accuracy or performance. I'd be interested in seeing how your Super91 shoots with Swiss 2F.

1874sharpsshooter said:
About to find out if it’s really worth the extra money . I broke down and bought Swiss instead of Goex for the Gibbs . In the past I used Goex or a black powder sub . I decided to give Swiss 2 f a chance. I probably should have got some 1 1/2 also but I didn’t. Only got 2 f

It’s AWESOME Powder Chet :yeah: Swiss 2 and 3F is all i use. I use to use more 3F than 2, But lately it’s been the other way around, I’m liking the 2F better.

I have shot beside Goex several times, one thing I notice very different between Swiss and Goex is the Amount of Sparks the Goex Spits out, i see lots of Sparks and Embers falling to the Ground from Goex, But I don’t see any of that with Swiss. My Dad and i shot together a few years back over a Deep snow, I walked up to check my Dad’s Target and noticed a Trail of Powder sprinkled along in a line, about 10-15 Yards long the best i can remember, looked like someone had Sprinkled pepper all over the Snow. Dad’s load in his 54 Cal Renegade is 100 Volume Grains of Goex 2F with a 460 Grain Lyman Plains bullet, It was obvious his rifle was not burning all of the Powder. My Swiss on the hand didn’t leave a Kernel of powder on the Snow that we could see. I have shot up to 80 Grains of Swiss 2F in a 10” Barreled TC Scout Pistol and stil didn’t find any un burned powder over the Snow. Swiss is expensive, but it’s Darn good powder :yeah: I keep threatening to try Olde E But Have yet to Buy a Can of it for myself, i can get the Olde E for around 20 bucks a Pound, I pay 26 a Pound for Swiss

I hope it’s worth your effort.
After my last Oak Ridge ML match and the results were published on M.B. , C.Hodgdon emailed me and asked why nearly all the shooters were Swiss.
I responded with my most resent test.

Told him nothing against OE as I’ve tried it and like it in my BL, but have not found it better in ML and haven’t tested Goex recently.
He understood.

I hope you find it’s worth the additional few $.
Good luck.

Attachments

• AC219D58-BDEE-436B-BA83-B8FBEFEC4300.jpeg
    AC219D58-BDEE-436B-BA83-B8FBEFEC4300.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 311
  • CBF41090-0B04-43AA-90EA-899D6EFA3F91.jpeg
    CBF41090-0B04-43AA-90EA-899D6EFA3F91.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 311
Top target is very similar to what i Experience with no OP Wad as well, But When i use a Wool Wad to Protect my Bullet Base they tighten up like your Bottom Target Pic :yeah:

Your Bottom Right Group with the Hard Card Wads where you stopped after 2 Shots being 5” apart is also VERY Typical of what i Find With Grease Groove Bullets and Hard Card OP Wads, I have written about it all through this Forum, Hard Cards with Grease Groove Bullets have been a Hit & Miss Deal for me, With more Miss than Hit. Oversize 1/8” Wool Felt has been the Ticket for me With Both PP and GG Bullets, especially Grease Groove. I would bet Those Olde E Groups in your photo above would have been a WHOLE Different Outcome with 1/8” Wool Felt OP Wads, I would Bet on it :yeah:

12ga 850gr GG conical with a big, deep cavity base (oversized Minie’), no wad used. Only change was Powder.

52Bore said:
12ga 850gr GG conical with a big, deep cavity base (oversized Minie’), no wad used. Only change was Powder.

Gotcha :yeah: I never had much luck with Minie’s, I gave up messing with them

Interesting difference in Groups for sure, I have been wanting to try a Can of Olde E for awhile now Against my Swiss for Accuracy, and Velocity. I asked Gullo about Olde E quite sometime ago, He said some like it, and Some don’t

Old E likes compression and lots of it. I shoot it in my Sharps rifles. I can see why it may not work as well in a muzzleloader, hard to keep consistent compression.

This interests me enough to Try it, i have wanted to for quite sometime anyway. I am curious if my results will be as Bad as Rick’s Above? I will get a Can in the next few days and See What i come up with. I will Video 2 Three Shot Groups, Olde E Vs Swiss

Now this is getting my attention. I’ve always used Goex because of availability. Now I shoot Swiss and it’s not easy to obtain around these parts.

Magnum said:
Now this is getting my attention. I’ve always used Goex because of availability. Now I shoot Swiss and it’s not easy to obtain around these parts.

I am really fortunate to live so close to BACO, they Carry Goex, Schutzen, and Swiss that i am aware of. They Don’t carry any of the Substitute powders. I chose to shoot Swiss from my Very beginning in this Stuff and it has served me VERY well :yeah: But there’s no reason for me Not to Try Goex Olde E and See how it Compares? It will be interesting to see how it pans out, I have 2 .45 Cal Rifles that Will love to test it :D

The ML store near me Dixons in Hamburg PA swears by Swiss as the best black powder on the market. He said Olde -E is a great powder and would probably rank as #2?? Swiss costs more, but I love using it. I may try Swiss 2F next time I'm there.

edmehlig said:
The ML store near me Dixons in Hamburg PA swears by Swiss as the best black powder on the market. He said Olde -E is a great powder and would probably rank as #2?? Swiss costs more, but I love using it. I may try Swiss 2F next time I'm there.

I have had a Little better Luck lately with 2F Swiss.

I got to thinking about something recently that might be the difference i am seeing? I Switched over to Shooting off a HEAVY Rear Bag Filled with about 18 pounds of Lead Shot, This New Rice Barrel has been Shot exclusively off this setup, my GM LRH .45 Was always Shot off my Little cheap Orange Champion Rest (Which i like a LOT for it’s adjustability, But it’s definitely nowhere near as Solid!) I recently added a New Front Rest to go with my heavy Rear bag, A Sinclair Heavy Varmint Front

This thing weighs 20 pounds, and is SOLID as a Rock, and should be for 300 bucks! My weakest link will be my Portable Bench, But when i take the time to Set it up right i can get it pretty darn Solid! Between my Rear Bag filled with Lead Shot, and this New Front Rest i am about 40 Pounds in my Rest setup :yeah:
gDTVZVgl.jpg

First break in this Wet weather and I’m Ready to do an Accuracy Test Between these 2 :yeah:

NTJJzW0m.jpg

Olde E was a BUST for me as well! My Group this morning mirrors 52bore’s Above, There will be NO MORE Goex in any of my Rifles, Swiss powder EXCLUSIVELY from here on. Glad I didn’t Have an opportunity to bet on this, i would have been paying up

The ODD Diagonal String is Olde E 2F, It was obvious it wasn’t working, I swapped over to Swiss 2F and Shot the last 2 loads, They Cut eachother :yeah:

Xvbwl5pl.jpg

Many don’t believe Swiss is worth the extra coin, and at some level I can agree. You can clang steel or hit a paper plate most of the time with near any powder, however, if you are looking for the best performance and consistency out of your guns, Swiss is in my opinion, the way to go. Some tie thousands of dollars up in guns and equipment and then fret about spending a few dollars extra for the propellant - while searching for ways to improve performance, convinced it’s just coincidence that most top shooters use Swiss....

A few friends and I played with different powders a few years back and no matter how good the results with the others, Swiss was at least as good and in most cases better. Forget all the powders we tried, but we were able to compare both current and some vintage samples. I know I still have some DuPont and Hodgon in original containers (price tags show cost was $2 when new) that we tried, and a few had other powders.

Currently use FFF Swiss in everything, or at least start there. Makes it real simple to keep track of what one has in the powder horn or flask. Have a 12 gauge that has shown some promise with F - but the jury is still out.

Latest posts

Back