Accurate Molds #50-415l 1st Test, 5 Shot Group

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I decided to test my New .50 Cal Bullet out as well, It is suppose to Snow, When it does, i won’t be able to get back here to this Spot til Spring/Summer, And with hunting Season going Full Bore right now, i probably Won’t be able to Shoot again til Mid December. This is my Accurate Molds #50-415l, Cast of PURE Lead. I came home & Cleaned & Oiled my .45, Then loaded back up with my Blued Green Mountain LRH .50 Cal, Powder Charge was 80 Grains by WEIGHT of Swiss 2F Powder, i was using Store Bought OXYOKE Brand .54 Cal 1/8” Wool Felt Wads

Same 60 Yard Spot
1vSe6LDm.jpg

Accurate Molds #50-415l, Cast of PURE Lead
WojEkhE.jpg

5j5Pe72.jpg

Bullets were Lubed with MY SPG Mixture
nT4JDc8m.jpg

Yep, This is gonna leave a Mark :D
68ZfGjq.jpg

This is 5 Shots, I seen all i needed to see :) This 1” Blued GM LRH Barrel is one of my “TOP DOGS“ If i can hang in there and do my part, i can COUNT on this Barrel to do it’s :lewis:
UQuIxqz.jpg

Dang. Those things look almost to pretty to shoot! You could sell those as a "small batch" bullet! Nice shooting!

I decided to test my New .50 Cal Bullet out as well, It is suppose to Snow, When it does, i won’t be able to get back here to this Spot til Spring/Summer, And with hunting Season going Full Bore right now, i probably Won’t be able to Shoot again til Mid December. This is my Accurate Molds #50-415l, Cast of PURE Lead. I came home & Cleaned & Oiled my .45, Then loaded back up with my Blued Green Mountain LRH .50 Cal, Powder Charge was 80 Grains by WEIGHT of Swiss 2F Powder, i was using Store Bought OXYOKE Brand .54 Cal 1/8” Wool Felt Wads

Same 60 Yard Spot
1vSe6LDm.jpg

Accurate Molds #50-415l, Cast of PURE Lead
WojEkhE.jpg

5j5Pe72.jpg

Bullets were Lubed with MY SPG Mixture
nT4JDc8m.jpg

Yep, This is gonna leave a Mark :D
68ZfGjq.jpg

This is 5 Shots, I seen all i needed to see :) This 1” Blued GM LRH Barrel is one of my “TOP DOGS“ If i can hang in there and do my part, i can COUNT on this Barrel to do it’s :lewis:
UQuIxqz.jpg
That’s fantastic shooting ! Am I understanding correctly that you had the standard configuration mold outside diameters bumped up by .002 over your bore size and then sized them back down by whatever dimension to get the bore rider fit for that particular barrel ?

I still cannot believe you say that your eye sight is less than average. Even if the gun, sights are perfect, you still have to duplicate the hold position. You are a master at this sport and a true inspiration to all of us who learn so much on this forum.
That target is the most amazing thing I have seen, even from all your samples.

Hey Lewis, that sure is a pretty bullet. The shooting isn't too shabby neither. I'd like to have that bullet made up for my . 54 Renegade. How do you measure your bore dia. in a closed breech rifle like a Renegade, and what size of lead to measure a . 54 cal??

Hey Lewis, that sure is a pretty bullet. The shooting isn't too shabby neither. I'd like to have that bullet made up for my . 54 Renegade. How do you measure your bore dia. in a closed breech rifle like a Renegade, and what size of lead to measure a . 54 cal??

Funny you mention .54, Its being made right now ;) Tom Drew it up for me yesterday morning, and i ordered it in Brass, it will be my first Brass Mold, I’m excited to get it :lewis: The .45 & .50 have done awesome, so i took it on to .54

I went .542 PLUS Tolerance, This Gaurantees me .542, but could be as big as .544 with Accurate Molds .002 Tolerance Window

eQ68lCt.png

I spotted this design in the Accurate catalog yesterday one thought how did I miss this one before then realized it was a clone to your recent 45&50 caliber designs. I've been looking for 54 caliber bullet that had a wide meplat without the excess weight for my 54 TC WMC and this one looks to fill the bill.

I still cannot believe you say that your eye sight is less than average. Even if the gun, sights are perfect, you still have to duplicate the hold position. You are a master at this sport and a true inspiration to all of us who learn so much on this forum.
That target is the most amazing thing I have seen, even from all your samples.

Thank you for the Kind words Dave, It’s really true with my Eyesight, My vision is not as good as many think, If it wasn’t for these Peep sights I couldn’t do this. When i look through a Regular set of Iron sights the Target is a Blurry mess, i even see slight double, like a Target and a 1/2, It’s not good! But when my vision is Restricted through a Tiny little hole, I can see as clearly as i did when i was a little Kid.

It’s a shame these sight setups are so poor for Hunting in ANY form of low light, There is NOTHING Better for Target shooting in good light, and Hunting as long as you have Good lighting, like out in the Wide open, Looking in Clear Cuts Etc. But any kind of low light, such as hunting in Timber This sight system is HORRIBLE at Best. Its not much, if any different than being blind in those situations. It’s not so much the Tang Peep, the MAIN Culprit is the Globe front sights, They are a DARK Tunnel, and a Fairly small one at that, you ad low light such as Dawn & Dusk, and you can’t see anything?

I spotted this design in the Accurate catalog yesterday one thought how did I miss this one before then realized it was a clone to your recent 45&50 caliber designs. I've been looking for 54 caliber bullet that had a wide meplat without the excess weight for my 54 TC WMC and this one looks to fill the bill.

Knowing Tom, i will have it fairly soon, Quick as i get it, if the weather Allows, i will do a Test on it through my 1:28, and Stock 1:48 Twist Rifles. :lewis:

In .54, it should come in right about 495-500 Grains, That’s a GOOD Weight for .54 Cal, This should make a GREAT Hunting bullet out to 200 Yards. I will test it out to 200 Yards this Winter. Quick as Hunting season closes and it’s safe to Shoot in my New Spot :lewis:

Thank you for the Kind words Dave, It’s really true with my Eyesight, My vision is not as good as many think, If it wasn’t for these Peep sights I couldn’t do this. When i look through a Regular set of Iron sights the Target is a Blurry mess, i even see slight double, like a Target and a 1/2, It’s not good! But when my vision is Restricted through a Tiny little hole, I can see as clearly as i did when i was a little Kid.

It’s a shame these sight setups are so poor for Hunting in ANY form of low light, There is NOTHING Better for Target shooting in good light, and Hunting as long as you have Good lighting, like out in the Wide open, Looking in Clear Cuts Etc. But any kind of low light, such as hunting in Timber This sight system is HORRIBLE at Best. Its not much, if any different than being blind in those situations. It’s not so much the Tang Peep, the MAIN Culprit is the Globe front sights, They are a DARK Tunnel, and a Fairly small one at that, you ad low light such as Dawn & Dusk, and you can’t see anything?
I have tried to use the globe front sight during winter Biathlon’s in Vermont during the winter and found it very difficult to clearly define the target. My resolution was to change over to the Lyman front post hunting sight with the white bead. I have used this with good results along with the rear peep sight even with my poor vision. Check it out.

That’s fantastic shooting ! Am I understanding correctly that you had the standard configuration mold outside diameters bumped up by .002 over your bore size and then sized them back down by whatever dimension to get the bore rider fit for that particular barrel ?

That is correct, I have molds made .002-.003 over what i KNOW i need, it is easy to Size a Bullet per Bore, but nearly impossible to make them Bigger, if the Bullet Drops to Small you are in trouble, you can Knurl, ad a little Teflon tape Etc in a Pinch, But that is NOT ideal. You also don’t want to order To big, There is no reason to Size more than .003-.004,

This is the Problem with .45 Cal Lyman Molds, They are intended for Cartridge Guns shooting Groove Diameter which is typically .458 (Hence the .450/.458 Barrel Specs) Where us Muzzleloader Guys shoot “Bore“ Diameter Bullets. With typical .45 Cal Bore Diameters being .450 to .452, Now take Lyman .45 Cal Bullets that Drop at .458-.460, They MUST be Sized all the way down to .451-.452, That is a LOT to Size, YES it can work, and has MANY MANY Times, with MANY Different Lyman 45 Cal Bullets, But it is FAR FAR From ideal. When sizing these Lyman .458-460 Bullets, I do it in 2 Steps. .454 First, then down to .451-.452

Lets go with a Bore Diameter of .451, For Hunting We need a Finished Bullet diameter of .452, maybe even .453 To “Hold the Bore” Good n Snug, Depends on your Bore of course. Pushing a Soft lead bullet that is .001-.002 over our .451 Bore Diameter is EASY to do.

That is correct, I have molds made .002-.003 over what i KNOW i need, it is easy to Size a Bullet per Bore, but nearly impossible to make them Bigger, if the Bullet Drops to Small you are in trouble, you can Knurl, ad a little Teflon tape Etc in a Pinch, But that is NOT ideal. You also don’t want to order To big, There is no reason to Size more than .003-.004,

This is the Problem with .45 Cal Lyman Molds, They are intended for Cartridge Guns shooting Groove Diameter which is typically .458 (Hence the .450/.458 Barrel Specs) Where us Muzzleloader Guys shoot “Bore“ Diameter Bullets. With typical .45 Cal Bore Diameters being .450 to .452, Now take Lyman .45 Cal Bullets that Drop at .458-.460, They MUST be Sized all the way down to .451-.452, That is a LOT to Size, YES it can work, and has MANY MANY Times, with MANY Different Lyman 45 Cal Bullets, But it is FAR FAR From ideal. When sizing these Lyman .458-460 Bullets, I do it in 2 Steps. .454 First, then down to .451-.452

Lets go with a Bore Diameter of .451, For Hunting We need a Finished Bullet diameter of .452, maybe even .453 To “Hold the Bore” Good n Snug, Depends on your Bore of course. Pushing a Soft lead bullet that is .001-.002 over our .451 Bore Diameter is EASY to do.
Thanks for the clarification. I’ve got to draw up my dream bullet and then send it off to Tom and wait for my Christmas present. Thanks again.

I have tried to use the globe front sight during winter Biathlon’s in Vermont during the winter and found it very difficult to clearly define the target. My resolution was to change over to the Lyman front post hunting sight with the white bead. I have used this with good results along with the rear peep sight even with my poor vision. Check it out.
You may find removing the rear aperture will help you even more in being able to find the front sight. By removing the rear aperture is like converting your peep sight to a Ghost Ring and it does not effect where your bullet will hit.

For those that Don’t understand “Bore & Groove” Diameter. REMEMBER, us Muzzleloader Guy’s shoot BORE DIAMETER, Where Cartridge guns shoot GROOVE DIAMETER

Red is your GROOVE, Blue is your BORE
F9hb8DO.jpg

Here is a better one
UtqKeVE.jpg
Lewis, do you know an easy way to size your bore in a T/C Renegade??

You can take an oversized bullet and pound it part way into barrel then pull it out and measure that with your calipers. Of course this will only tell you what your bore size is at the muzzle but I'm guessing it will be very close to the rest of the bore.

If you know any machinist they may have a set of pin gauges.
That is the most accurate way to get it exact. Slugging the bore makes it a little harder to measure because the lead deforms out into the grooves and its hard to get onto the low spots only with a micrometer or calipers.
Best bet is order a sizing pack of bullets from someone and see which one fits the best, or order an adjustable sizer and start out slightly large and keep decreasing the size until it fits good. A couple of taps on the nose of a lead bullet sitting on a solid base with a hammer will swell the diameter enough to use it also. You can also mash it down a little in a smooth jawed vise or press.

Back