Advice for First Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely wouldn't want to buy something right now that ONLY works well with Blackhorn 209. I've never seen it in a store, and IF you can find it online, it's generally very expensive + hazmat shipping. I'm not sure I would want to limit my options like that. All of the Walmarts here carry Pyrodex, and it's usually in stock, especially after muzzleloader season is over.

For hunting, the crud ring really won't affect your regular use. It's not like you're going to be loading shot after shot, without the opportunity for a quick cleaning between. I can get about three shots out of my CVA Optima before the crud ring makes it too difficult to load, but a wet swab down the barrel, and I'm good for three more. It's a little irritating when I'm plinking in the backyard, but I've never had a crud ring prevent me from taking a shot when necessary.

I think a muzzle break sounds neat, it also seems like it would make the gun harder to load. In my opinion, recoil is much less of an issue when you don't have any follow-up shots anyway. Plus it's more weight to carry around in the woods.

I also agree with the person who suggested the Optima V2. It will eat any powder you put in there, and can group shots tighter than I'm able to. I've never had a misfire, or problem of any kind either. It was my first muzzleloader, and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Last edited:
Good to know, I guess I can try both :) If it's more recoil than 30-06, I'll appreciate a brake, as I get tired of that recoil after 10 shots at the range.
You can reduce the charge and bullet weight also to make it more to your liking.

I own a .50 MRX and simply just use a range rod for everything. No it doesn’t store on the gun, so in a hunting scenario followup shot I won’t have anything other than the collapsable rod so loading capability only. I don’t see my self swabbing in between shots while hunting anyway.

The gun has had 100% reliability with loose triple seven.

Now if I were doing some sort of walk about shooting event shooting lots of shots and reloading in the field, or maybe doing a long western hunting adventure, I would prefer to have a ram rod stored on the gun. For my local white tail hunting I’m not worried about it at the moment.

Fit and finish seems to be ok (about the same as any other rifle at this price point)

I agree with gm54-120 if you do get serious you will want to upgrade the scope mounting hardware and optic but if you just want to sight in and get out there, the stock stuff is functional while it holds up.

Good to know, I guess I can try both :) If it's more recoil than 30-06, I'll appreciate a brake, as I get tired of that recoil after 10 shots at the range.

As a fellow new ML enthusiast I quickly recalibrated my outlook on how many shots makeup a range session. With my other shooting I’m used to sending sometimes hundreds of rounds down range in a single session.

While muzzleloading a 10-15 shot session is the norm for me. Muzzleloading will force you to slow down, it will force you to really concentrate, which is something that I actually love about it.

I have a collapsible rod for hunting with my scout conversion but i also have a Knight takedown rod in case i have to swab or something worse. I bought them when i was considering buying the MR-X. If i have to switch to t7 from bh209 then this is my answer to field swabbing.
image.jpgimage.jpg

I have a collapsible rod for hunting with my scout conversion but i also have a Knight takedown rod in case i have to swab or something worse. I bought them when i was considering buying the MR-X. If i have to switch to t7 from bh209 then this is my answer to field swabbing.
Awesome, thanks for sharing! My MR-X just arrived today. Can't wait to take it to the range!

The ports on some of my older Traditions muzzleloaders are nothing but a PITA. At the charges I shoot (80 to 110gr by volume) I've never noticed the ports to help. They do however make cleaning a SOB and cut the barrel finish from the gases.

Awesome, thanks for sharing! My MR-X just arrived today. Can't wait to take it to the range!
You won’t be disappointed it’s a sweet gun, it took me a few sessions to get the groups tightened up, now I’m really enjoying it.

be sure to let us know what you shoot and how it groups Rathmatic . i ordered a 50 MRX today so in about a week i'll be in your shoes :) . i already have the cva lifetime range rod so i don't see the bunji rod it comes with being a issue . i think it'll do fine for reloading if a second shot is needed when hunting .

1671326436904.png

Last edited:
be sure to let us know what you shoot and how it groups Rathmatic . i ordered a 50 MRX today so in about a week i'll be in your shoes :) . i already have the cva lifetime range rod so i don't see the bunji rod it comes with being a issue . i think it'll do fine for reloading if a second shot is needed when hunting .
Awesome, sure thing I will report back my range results. Nice I just found that rod as well, will either try to order it or see if Bass Pro or Cabela's has it nearby.

BTW Rathmatic , how is the alignment of your barrel between the sides of the forgrip ?
is it fairly even or does one side have a little wider gap than the other ?

Latest posts

Back