Alternative duplex load powders to clays and h4198

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanb8

Reaction score
I’ve been having a hard time finding clays and H4198 for my duplex load and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for alternative powders.
THANKS

I wouldn't use clays. It's very hard on breech plugs and will flame cut them, that's been my experience so far. If you have already used that load, have you seen any flame cutting?

I would use N110 as the booster, I've used 5-11 grains with very good accuracy and no more flame cutting. Can you find H322? I shot N110 with H322 and a Barnes 250gr TEZ, accuracy was good.

I’m going to be using a Remington ML with 209 primer which was converted to a smokeless with a brux barrel if I get the grouping I want. The gun I have been using the most because I have hunted in the woods a lot more is a Cva apex 45/70 in 209 primer converted to smokeless. I have noticed flame burning on the bushing in the apex. At least I guess that is what it is and I ordered another bushing from Luke. Thanks for all the information everyone!

I wouldn't use clays. It's very hard on breech plugs and will flame cut them, that's been my experience so far. If you have already used that load, have you seen any flame cutting?

I would use N110 as the booster, I've used 5-11 grains with very good accuracy and no more flame cutting. Can you find H322? I shot N110 with H322 and a Barnes 250gr TEZ, accuracy was good.
I haven’t noticed any damage to the breech plug but have noticed damage to the bushing in the apex. I believe the tungsten bushing is a harder metal than the breech plug and I got way behind in my maintenance on my guns last year and had to beat the bushing out with a hammer so the damage may have been from that. I was using 7/50 clays H4198 with a 275gr Parker BE. I will take the advice of using n110. Thanks.

Clays and other very fast powders were tried as duplex primer powders in 2005; and as good as they performed ignition-wise, they were very erosive on vent liners and bushings. The standard 4759, 5744 and VV110 are better overall choices.

I would use N110 for duplexing 4198. Its very clean and very easy to ignite. 4759 would also be fine if you have a good stock of it. They just dont make it anymore.

Getting on in age I do not shoot much anymore, just to check my loads before season, so I do not know just how
corrosive my primer powder is over hundreds of shots.....Green Dot. No more than five grains to punch the slower
powder. It is a flake powder but does not fall through the bushings. Have used it with both 3031 and H322 with
great accuracy.

Back