amreican pioneer powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flitz

Reaction score
is this powder all hype or is it that good.also if 777 leaves a crud
ring why do so many people use it. as i am new to ml i would like
to make things as easy as possible with good results.

I have used App and Jim Shockies gold. These are good powders and very clean. I just don't think they have the power as Pryodex or 777. I really like the 777 myself its not as clean as APP but its a sight cleaner then pyrodex. Every powder is going to give you a crud ring I don't care what kind you use. App leavs a crud ring that looks like sugar on your breech plug and Shockies Gold leaves a gold one. Try any and all powders to see which one you like you will find one to stick with but its just fun to try them all.

777 doesn't leave a crud ring in all muzzleloaders in all situations. It happens always in my TC Omega and Encore, but never in my TC Hawkens or Renegades. The crud ring is almost non-existant in my Knight USAK. It also appears to be somewhat dependant on primer selection in some muzzleloaders. Many people have have gotten rid of or reduced the crud ring by using different primers (like the new Winchester triple Seven) or the VariFlame Primer Adapters.

Search the board for past discussion of the infamous crud ring for more information.

I have been using APP with great success in my .50 cal sidelocks with roundball or lighter sabot and conicals (250 gr or less), but I can't hit the side of a barn with it in my .58 cal with heavy conicals (525 grain). 777 is great for that. Go figure.

As 12 Ring said, that's what makes it so much fun.

As always, your mileage may vary,

tooldog

Back