another crud ring post.....w/ a question....??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipsbay

Reaction score
I ran a search this AM and came up a little short on my secenario / question.......So here it goes......I'm shooting T7 ffg....I have a TC ProHunter w/ a .25 ACP conversion breech plug.

The crud ring in my barrel is very slight and appears to be below the breach plug just above the metal gas seals that my swabbing can't hit. It shouldn't and doesn't appear that it's affecting my performance but just want to know how to get it out....seems very stubbern almost like concrete.....as I said above....it's above the breech plug threads in the barrel and approx. just below the gas seal on the breech plug itself. So swabbing doesn't hit it. It's approx. 1/8" - 1/4" wide....how do I remove it and will it pose and issues to the barrel long term it not removed ....??
Thanks......JOHN
:?

I ran a search this AM and came up a little short on my secenario / question.......So here it goes......I'm shooting T7 ffg....I have a TC ProHunter w/ a .25 ACP conversion breech plug.

The crud ring in my barrel is very slight and appears to be below the breach plug just above the metal gas seals that my swabbing can't hit. It shouldn't and doesn't appear that it's affecting my performance but just want to know how to get it out....seems very stubbern almost like concrete.....as I said above....it's above the breech plug threads in the barrel and approx. just below the gas seal on the breech plug itself. So swabbing doesn't hit it. It's approx. 1/8" - 1/4" wide....how do I remove it and will it pose and issues to the barrel long term it not removed ....??
Thanks......JOHN

If it is not effecting your on range and hunting accuracy then it becomes a final cleaning problem. I never cleaned a T/C Pro Hunter, but I have yet to find anything a bore brushed, wrapped with a patch, saturated with Birchwood Casey #77 can not remove. If not Birchwood Casey, then some Butch's Bore Shine (make sure it is for the black powder rifles) will also take it out.

Pull your breech plug. Scrub that area with a breech plug brush and water. Then wrap that patch around the brush, dip it in that solution and scrub it out.

If you were to ignore it when cleaning and leave it there, it will ruin your barrel. A crud ring is an accumulation of burned and unburned powder. It will if left to sit, start the rusting process.

Do what dave said or make the switch to Jim Shockey's Gold and yours problems will be gone ( along with alot of cleaning time). I would suggest three of the 50 grain Sticks in your Pro-Hunter... It sure shoots good in mine! :)

I wrap the breech plugs with plummers tape and apply some "slick 50" grease and I have not had any problems as you describe.

If I remember correctly I think this was either " Rons" or "Underclocks" solution to gas bleeding issues inside the breech plug.

Chocdog

Latest posts

Back