Another gun show another muzzleloader šŸ˜‰

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice! Guy at the Ace Place told me I needed to dye the wood (as opposed to staining) so I got 2- colors and mixed them. Looks like yours turned out just fine with stain to me. CVA Mountain Rifle right?

Mine ended up with a reddish color. Not bad, just different. Anything beat the blonde color it used to be! The .58 barrel it came with was a tad much on my shoulder so I found another in .54 cal. Dropped right in. Another one came along in .50 but held off-I already have a .50 of another brand. Besides, the flintlock bug bit me. Boy, I do tend to rattle on.

Good find!

Looks great. Let us know how it shoots. I have one with thousands of rounds through it since 78. 70g goex 3f or 80g goex 2f. I use CCI cap, 490 swaged rb, .017 pillow ticking (uncompressed) and heavy wonderlube. My son has one in .45 and uses 65g goex 3f and .440 ball. Somewhere near these loads will be the sweet spot for yours. I've tried a dozen lubes over the years, and in my rifle I don't see much difference in performance due to lube (mutton tallow, several homebrew lubes, moose snot, etc all work.) I have never seen one of the CVA Mt. Rifles fail to be a shooter once you find the right load. Have fun!!

So I got a chance to sort of shoot it. It wouldnā€™t fire though. I literally had to drop some fff into the nipple port to get it to touch off. Then the hammer wouldnā€™t stay cocked after the 3rd shot which took approximately 26 no.11 caps To fire off that many shots. That was an easy fix and the wire spring came out of recess
Then the ramrod with saturated patch got stuck and tip of ram rod broke off (synthetic) in barrel. Itā€™s still in there.
Not a good day of shooting thatā€™s for sure.
So back to the drawing board until the weather get warmer than -10 which wonā€™t be for a bit.
In the first pic the two shots sxs are from today at 50yds. The lower one is from my Pedersoli Frontier.50
The steel plate was also 50yds and my last and final shot.
To better shooting yā€™all

Sgt Recoil

Attachments

• 5A270384-F0A4-4373-B1F6-CC41B330943B.jpeg
    5A270384-F0A4-4373-B1F6-CC41B330943B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • BF770F01-09B6-41D5-8F74-D5A0EC344F50.jpeg
    BF770F01-09B6-41D5-8F74-D5A0EC344F50.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
When Jonathan is building another kit he should do as suggested for a different look, what do you think Sgt ? :thumbs up:

Back