Another gun show another muzzleloader šŸ˜‰

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking forward to seeing photos of the finished gun.

Hey Sarge, in the picture with all of your BP rifles, what kind of peep sight is on the bottom big boy. It might be what I'm looking for. I like peeps for hunting on my UHs and the arc on yours looks like it might just fit my project build 50. Out

Hey Sarge, in the picture with all of your BP rifles, what kind of peep sight is on the bottom big boy. It might be what I'm looking for. I like peeps for hunting on my UHs and the arc on yours looks like it might just fit my project build 50. Out

Mossie, both peeps areThompson Centerā€™s. I bought the bottom one (TC Renegade 50) last September pretty much just for the peep. The whole gun and peep were $200 CDN. The other peep is on my TC Hawken with G.M. Barrel in .58.
I think Lyman might be the only ones left making peep sights.

Wow! if you got the Renegade for that, it was almost free! I've seen those TC peep sights offered for almost that much in US dollars...not sure how that converts at present as I haven't been to Canada in a few years so no real need to know.

Wow! if you got the Renegade for that, it was almost free! I've seen those TC peep sights offered for almost that much in US dollars...not sure how that converts at present as I haven't been to Canada in a few years so no real need to know.

Thats what I said lol. Iā€™ve seen these peeps on US sights for $198 USD alone. So ya pretty got me me or the other for free LOL.
As for progress;
On 3rd coat of Tru-oil. Barrel is back together.
about 3-4 coats on the wood togo.

Winter Hawk, Thx for the links. In posting this I have since retired the G.M. 58 cal Hawken bbl. itā€™s a drop in fit for TC hook-breach Hawkens. I decided to rebrown it (again) along with the CVA,
it turned out worse. So I stripped it again to bare metal and nothing. Before I let my anger take over set it aside for a future project.
Iā€™d like to see if I can get some Laurel Mountain Forge brown solution. But thatā€™s another thread. Plus there is a browning problem thread already.
Cheers All,

Sgt Recoil.

AFTER

5A201CFD-77C8-47E1-9AAB-3E11C77FE749.jpeg5D7ED671-BC36-4964-B12C-944808AAF41A.jpegA2FCB192-6707-42A2-9002-6E332B07195E.jpeg3395892B-DAAB-4153-AFFE-E6246447EC34.jpeg584D6FDB-1593-4CE0-A454-29711A9B83D0.jpeg

Attachments

• 18546ECF-B8C6-4641-B4BF-57EC02DF50EF.jpeg
    18546ECF-B8C6-4641-B4BF-57EC02DF50EF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • D99C157F-6516-4B70-9046-E7CAE5ACD3CB.jpeg
    D99C157F-6516-4B70-9046-E7CAE5ACD3CB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Basically a dark walnut antique stain hand rubbed in. Just 3 coats of TRU Oil and hand rubbed bees wax into the wood.
I will eventually blacken all brass.
nose cap and hook breech will remain pewter colour And I will burn a twist into ramrod.
I hope to get he to the range soon before it gets way to cold.
right now itā€™s -10 Celsius. But sunny.
Thanks for looking. Happy Holidays šŸ˜€

Basically a dark walnut antique stain hand rubbed in. Just 3 coats of TRU Oil and hand rubbed bees wax into the wood.
I will eventually blacken all brass.
nose cap and hook breech will remain pewter colour And I will burn a twist into ramrod.
I hope to get he to the range soon before it gets way to cold.
right now itā€™s -10 Celsius. But sunny.
Thanks for looking. Happy Holidays šŸ˜€
Very nice I have two of these awaiting g restoration. I love seeing the beauty brought back with human hands.

Another good place to find guns (muzzleloaders) are garage sales and farm sales. Back in the 70's the muzzleloader kits were all the rage, folks took them home and they ended up in the closet (many never touched - propably were gifts). :( o_O

Biggest problem was everyone's kit looked the same, so a few would make easy to do minor changes. The trigger guard was one that would get most guys attention being the easiest to modify.

TRIGGER GUARD.jpg

Last edited:
Back