Another hog question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funman

Reaction score
A guy down the street from me, that only hunts deer to my knowledge told me that i should use 150 grains of the pyrodex. I use 100. He told me they have some armor on thier sides ( i have read they have thick skin from fighting each other dont know about armor though) so what do you think. the farthest shot would be 70 yards and i am using 295 grain power belt hollow point. i know depends on placement of shot and all that but please shed some light on this , is this just some guy talking about something i think he dosent have expereince in.

They do have a thick hide and the "armor" locals around here refer to as a "shield".

We have had a number of them around here shot with muzzleloaders, 270s, 30-30s and the like and all have been effective. Occasionally one will get away like with anything else, but most everything we have tried that works with deer works with hogs.

The guys that have shot them with muzzleloaders used 100gr of various types of BP/subs and it was effective.

I used 95 grains of ffg 777 and a 250 grain shockwave to take a decent boar this year. The ones before that were with 250 grain xtps and two fifty grain pyrodex pellets. The ones before that were with a 240 grain knight jacketed bullet and 2 pyrodex pellets. I shoot them behind the shoulder standing broadside or slightly quartering away. All my shots have been under a hundred yards but I have never lost one with a muzzleloader.

I'm not a hog hunter but IMO it's not the amount of powder you use but the bullet. Some bullet are too fragile and will fragment too much on impact to get good penetration.

Bullet selection is far more imoortant than how much powder you use. In your case the heavier bullet the better ,to get penetration. The Powerbelt over expands on deer unless you use light charges, a 150 grain charge behind a Powerbelt on a hog is probably not going to be very reliable. Barnes 295gr, Hornady 300 SST or bore size bullets would work much better.

If I wanted to use a Powerbelt, I'd use a 338gr or heavier. 80gr to 100gr of ffg Triple Se7en will be PLENTY. Most of our group shoots them with saboted bullets. We've shot hogs with a LOT of different powder charges and bullets. We've shot 'em with everything from 60gr fffg/240gr A-Frame up. A 275gr Parker Ballistic Extreme, 300gr SST/XTPs, and some of the Barnes will really clean their clock! Really never any reason to go over 100gr of powder unless you are likely to have long shots.

The Bullet on the Left is a 385gr. Great Plains Bullet,pushed by 100gr. Pyrodex RS,taken from a Boar shot at 80 yards,broadside.He ran about 80 yards,but didn't requier a follow up shot.

000_1756bul.jpg

oneshot

i finally got one

i got one day before yesterday. I shot him with a hornady 245 gr and pyrodex loose of 110 gr. He was only about twenty yards away when i shot him. the bullet went about three inches behind the shoulder and then exit through. I got him while in a tree stand first one i have seen all year. thanks for everyones info. oh hes not a big fella maybe a hundred pounds. my buddy said 140 no way. thanks again

Congratulations funman. A 100# pig is just right! Now go get yourself a can of pinapple chunks, some onion, bell peppers and a bit of Worcestershire sauce, toss it into the crock pot and make yourself some Hawaiian pork. Served over rice its hard to beat!!

Back