Austin Halleck .45 favorite loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdporter

Reaction score
What is your favorite sabot bullet loads in an Austin Halleck .45 cal with a 1/20 twist? I’ve redine the bolt and breech plug so I can shoot BH209. Copied the Savage design for the bolt face so the 209 drops into the nose and got rid of the open slots that blow crap in your eyes. I’ve looked online some, but not seeing a lot of options in .45

I had no idea A&H made them in 1-20. I was under the impression they were 1-28.
I’ve looked online some, but not seeing a lot of options in .45
40cal bullets
PR bullet has 40cal bullets upto 260gr
200gr SST
195gr Barnes
Lehigh/Bloodlines from 185gr to 230gr
Fury Custom bullets from 225gr to 250gr
Pittman Accumax 225gr
200gr XTP or Noslers for plinking or reduced loads

I have the .50 cal instruction manual that lists the barrel twist at 1/28. I can’t find where I read the twist on the .45 was 1/20, in fact, I can’t find anything on twist rate for the .45. I’ll check it with my ramrod. I searched .45 cal muzzleloading sabots and saw the SST’s, some T/C, the Barnes, and some PR’s, and a bunch of Powerbelts

If you got into casting you probably would love Lymans 330 gr Gould mold. My mold with pure lead casts bullets that weigh about 347gr. It shoot great with a 1-20” twist bbl.

If i had to choose 1 bullet to shoot in a 45cal and i was not after game larger than deer it would be that Gould bullet. Its just that good.
I’ll look that up. I’m currently shooting Bob’s Ballistic Extremes and you can cover the centers of a three shot group with a beer cap at 100 yards, at 300, they’re not anywhere close (using BH ballistic info for 300 grain bullets, and 90’grains I kinda averaged all the bullets and used my Nikon Spot On app to get hold over. I haven’t chrono’d these so I don’t know how close the published info from BlackHorn is.. They shoot better than I can at 100 though.I think the AH has fairly deep rifling, it appears so anyway, and I believe a lot of gas goes around the bullet through the grooves., slowing them down. I recovered a couple of bullets out of the dirt and they are engraved by the rifling. I’ll try a wad under them and see if that helps, at longer range.

Latest posts

Back