Automatic powder scale for BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never gave it much thought. For the amount of speed loaders you have to set up prior to a hunt is it worth it? I load the gun & take 5 or so with me. By the time you setup & get your automated dispenser set up you could be done. I know we are talking B209 here, but most of the smokeless measures I have seen say no black powder.

A few companies offer brass and aluminum powder "droppers" for black powder. I would use these just to be safe even with BH209.

I would use it for other reloading also, I have about ten different muzzleloader I sight in for my family.

I asked the same question via email to the people at Blackhorn.
This is the email they sent back:
Louie,

Thank you for the e-mail. Yes you can use BH209 in your RCBS. It is the only black powder substitute that you can. It is very resistant to static discharge. (I prefer to weigh mine as well)

Best regards,
Don Luhr
Western Powders
Ramshot/Accurate Powders
Tel: (406) 234-0422 email: [email protected]
Western Powders Inc -- Miles City ? Montana.
Western Powders Inc. disclaims all possible liability for damages including, actual, incidental and consequential, resulting from usage of the information or advice contained in this message.
Use the data and advice at your own risk, and with extreme caution.
We also request that you visit our websites www.accuratepowder.com www.ramshot.com www.montanaxtreme.com or www.blackhorn209.com for more comprehensive information.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Always begin loading from the minimum "START charge and carefully develop loads by increasing in small increments of 2% towards the Maximum load.

To: [email protected]
Sent: Wed, Nov 3, 2010 17:30:12 GMT+00:00
Subject: Blackhorn 209

I was wondering if it was safe for me to dispense charges of Blackhorn 209 powder using my RCBS Chargemaster powder dispenser ?
I prefer to premeasure (weight out) my charges and take them to the range in sealed tubes as a matter of convenience.
I am aware of the difference between measuring 110 grains of powder and a weighed charge equaling 110 grains (actual weight being 77.0 grains).
My concern was static electricity possibly setting off the powder in the dispenser.

Thank You,
Lou

I have been dropping BH209 into Lane' tubes with my Redding 3-BR for almost as long as BH209 has existed. It works great. Saves me time. Saves me measuring at the range or in the field. BH209 meters through a measure, about as smooth as any powder i have ever used; nearly as smooth as a ball powder. I used my scale, and the clear-vue to set the measure once, and from then on all the powder charges are dropped by the measure. Any checking i have done, reveals excellent accuracy. The powder grains of BH209 are virtually identical, which lends itself to nearly perfect accuracy measuring by volume.

Why not just weight it on a reloading scale? It is not like you are doing a lot of it. I weight triple seven as well as Goex black powder this way.

NOTE: When weighting Triple seven or any of the other subs, you need to do this first: Using a black powder measure weight up some charges and dump them on your scale. Take an average of the acual weight and use that reading when weighting charges. The subs are lighter than black poweder and if you don't do it this way you will end up with an over charge.

rat trapper said:
................................... It is not like you are doing a lot of it...........................................
This isn't true for me. It is 'like i am doing a lot of it'. Measuring any kind of powder on a scale is much too tedious for my taste. When i was reloading center fire back in the 1900's, i soon tired of weighing the powder. Now day, i usually load up about 30 Lane' tube at a session with BH209. Doing it with a scale would be...............................let's just say i wouldn't much enjoy it.

Back