Backyard Bear

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've taken mule and whitetail deer, moose, elk, bear, and antelope. I have always wanted to get a feral hog. If I am going to, I had probably best get after it.

I should get a bear tag, just in case this bruin and I meet up while I am looking for a deer. It has been getting cold this week. There was ice in the dog's outside water bucket until late this afternoon. This bear is probably packing it on in prep for hibernation.

Nice 👍 an apple fed bruin ought to be tasty!
Brother i will go along on the apple fed meat, but BEAR? Sorry no bears in our area. Plenty of deer, hog, and turkey. I dont know, to me bear are really cute and cutley as opposed to deer that are extremely vicious and dangerous and need to be killed. Just my opinion from a 40+ year deer hunter. :elmer:ROFLMAO
:roll:
DL

Brother i will go along on the apple fed meat, but BEAR? Sorry no bears in our area. Plenty of deer, hog, and turkey. I dont know, to me bear are really cute and cutley as opposed to deer that are extremely vicious and dangerous and need to be killed. Just my opinion from a 40+ year deer hunter. :elmer:ROFLMAO
DL
Oh yeah! Bear is goood! (Properly cared for etc, etc…) get the hide off quick, careful not to get hair on the meat… And clean the fat from the carcass toot sweet. Bear pot roast or smoked bear hams are as good as it gets!

Oh yeah! Bear is goood! (Properly cared for etc, etc…) get the hide off quick, careful not to get hair on the meat… And clean the fat from the carcass toot sweet. Bear pot roast or smoked bear hams are as good as it gets!
I made a stew and took it to work (years back) and it went over big time. The ladies complemented me on the dish. It`s all about how the meat is cared for and cooked.

DL

Convinced enough to come up here and bag a blackie?? Hmmm 🤔

I started hunting bears after I found one in my tent, and saw 10 while on a deer hunt with no deer. They will grid pattern an elk calving meadow until they find the calves. When I took my bear from the Valle Vidal to the Game & Fish office to get the hide tagged, they treated me like a hero. That bear had broken into the Taos Ski Valley and was downstairs drinking beer. G&F trapped it and were supposed to kill it (penalty for breaking into a building), but didn't. I shot it in the spring and it had 4" of fat on its back. I don't believe it hibernated that winter. Some taste really great, and some not so much. It does depend on what they are eating. Smaller bears are generally better. I like them grilled.

I started hunting bears after I found one in my tent, and saw 10 while on a deer hunt with no deer. They will grid pattern an elk calving meadow until they find the calves. When I took my bear from the Valle Vidal to the Game & Fish office to get the hide tagged, they treated me like a hero. That bear had broken into the Taos Ski Valley and was downstairs drinking beer. G&F trapped it and were supposed to kill it (penalty for breaking into a building), but didn't. I shot it in the spring and it had 4" of fat on its back. I don't believe it hibernated that winter. Some taste really great, and some not so much. It does depend on what they are eating. Smaller bears are generally better. I like them grilled.
Now that is a good read!

Agreed with everyone. Spring bear can be a little gamey but fall bear after they have gotten fat on berries and such are very good. One “trick” we have always done is after getting a bear down we roll the guts out and take it to the nearest stream or river and through it in the water. The cool water takes the heat right out of them. Fat spoils quick and bear have lots of fat!

Convinced enough to come up here and bag a blackie?? Hmmm 🤔
I dont know brother. When i was in Tennessee last month i keep seeing that cute little black bear climbing a tree in front of us as we hiked a trail. Then there is the old saying " Never hunt anything that can eat you. "
DL

I dont know brother. When i was in Tennessee last month i keep seeing that cute little black bear climbing a tree in front of us as we hiked a trail. Then there is the old saying " Never hunt anything that can eat you. "
DL
Haha! The little ones are cute, no denying that… but the big fat ones look like roasts, ribs and chops to me! Don’t even get me started on Lion chops! I’m drooling now! Never been big on lion hunting but a friend used to guide locally and surprise, surprise, most of the sports don’t want the meat. Their loss my friend, I will eat them all day.

Haha! The little ones are cute, no denying that… but the big fat ones look like roasts, ribs and chops to me! Don’t even get me started on Lion chops! I’m drooling now! Never been big on lion hunting but a friend used to guide locally and surprise, surprise, most of the sports don’t want the meat. Their loss my friend, I will eat them all day.
The mountain men supposedly preferred the meat from mountain lions to even elk. I'd like to try mountain lion someday.

The mountain men supposedly preferred the meat from mountain lions to even elk. I'd like to try mountain lion someday.
I certainly appreciate it. Sheep first, then lion or a sweet young antelope, muley doe or young buck, bear. Elk is fine too but not in my top five. Moose and bison are good too if you can get it.

All I can add is that being vegan must be a miserable way to live.
Yeah my grand daughter was claiming to be a vegan. Then she tasted my youngest son's ribs and my wife's B-B-Q chicken with the brown sugar sauce, hell no one can resist eating meat at my house. Thats why i married weighing a lean mean fighting machine 168 lbs and now 50 years later doing good to maintain my trim 245 lbs. Lot of difference from lean and mean Marine to an old ass Marine. ROFLMAO Sempe Fi
DL

Latest posts

Back