BACO .442-400s Up next

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I ran over to BACO this morning and picked up a few things, i decided to go with these .442 Cupped base PP bullets instead of my old Tried and Trued .444s, After i patch the 4s i am Running them through a .449 Sizer to “Iron” The Paper a bit to get good Fit in my Bore, I wrapped these .442s a few minutes ago and tested them through my .449 They just “Kiss” the sizer Walls :yeah: I sure hope these shoot as well as the .444s, My 500 yard stuff was done with the .444s, If these 2s don’t seem to shoot as well it’s easy enough to Get the 4s again. The Nose is different on the 2, The 442s have more of a “Money” bullet look to me, Where the 444s have a Creedmoor look

Here were my 444-400s
zyMplY0.jpg

And here is the New .442-400s
HbKcdxE.jpg

Wrapped up, and ready to go :yeah:
LK9ZVBe.jpg

If tomorrow goes well with these .442s i will get some video Footage Soon of my 300 Yard Gong :yeah: I think you will be able to see my Hits at 300 yards? I tested 250 this morning and I’m Sure the Camera will pick it up. This little Camcorder has a 32X Optical Zoom and does pretty darn good. Then on to 500 Yards. I am thinking i will pack in a Few Buckets of Water and Shoot them off that Rock at 505 Yards :yeah:

These .442-400s were an Utter Failure in my 1:30 Twist Rifle this morning?? I did a Video but it’s not worth the Time uploading it, I took a picture of my Target and Have it logged down as a “No Go” in My Rifle. I ran back over to BACO today and picked up my Old .444-400s, They Shot EXTREMELY well in This rifle.

Here is my Target from this morning with the .442s, 70 Weight Grains of Swiss 3F powder and a .060 Vege Wad, after my first 3 shots i seen it wasn’t working, so i tried the last 2 shots with No Wad at all, Just the PP bullet sitting directly on the Powder, Those 2 shots were closer together but stil not good, My very first shot was low in the 10 ring, my next 2 were high in the White 6 Ring, my last 2 Without a Wad was a 10 Ring and a 7
y6wtzyH.jpg

Here is a side by side Pic of the .442 on the left, and the .444 on the Right. The .444s have more Bearing surface, I need to get back out soon and check the .444s again, I sure had good luck with them everytime out in the past, all the way to 500 yards
oOFK3Bo.jpg

Well that's a bummer. I will say, for what it's worth, I like the looks of the .444 bullet better. The longer barring surface is probably the difference. Shoot what works!

Harleysboss said:
Well that's a bummer. I will say, for what it's worth, I like the looks of the .444 bullet better. The longer barring surface is probably the difference. Shoot what works!

When i got these 442s i was hoping they would look identical to the .444s that i have had such good luck with, but as you can see they look totally different. My only reason for trying the .442s was the Smaller Diameter being a better fit with my Onion Skin paper, Just Wrap and Load them, 2 Wraps of my paper ads .008 to the overall Bullet Diameter, with these 442s and my paper it puts me Spot on where i need to be at .450, With the .444s i end up at .452 Which is to Tight to load, I have to send them through my .449 Sizer, after paper “Bounce Back” they end up Dead on .450 So it works out just fine, The .444s are a SUPER EASY trip through the Sizer. I need to get back out soon and Shoot a Group of these .444s, I have my 1:30 Twist .45 Cal sighted in for 350 Grain Grease Groove bullets, I’ll have to make a Few adjustments to get these PP bullets back to Zero, Then Go get Some Distance on Video :D

Latest posts

Back