.... Bad news from the doc ...........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
:cry:
Things didn't work out for me this season even though I was able to take a big doe. I had practiced all summer to hunt with my Hawken .58 but it wasn't in the cards for me.
My last visit to eye doc kind of put my hunting with iron sights out of reach maybe for now or maybe forever. The doc found that the pressure in my right eye was 38. Normal is 10 to 20. He was pretty concerned and seeing his reaction to that test put me on edge. I had been noticing that my right eye, shooting eye, was getting blurred and then it would clear up and this went on for a while. Doc said that I had the beginnings of a cataract in that eye, which isn't a problem to get removed, but it wasn't RIPE yet. (ready to be removed). Along with that glaucoma had set in and that was the real problem. He put me on eye drops, 3 in my right eye, and one in the left as a preventative.
Problem now with the iron sights is that it's takes me to long to get the sights clear and the target at the same time. By taking a lot of time the eye is straining and starts to water. With that being said................
The weekend, 3 days before I was leaving, I dusted off my ACCURA V2 MR and headed to the range. I managed
to get the Hornady MONO's 250 grain to group in a 3" circle at 100 yards and I felt that's the best I could do in 2 days. Haven't shot that rifle in over a year. I don't know about anyone else but it was like learning to shooting a new rifle all over again. Lot of difference between my hawken and V2. Everything was different. It stayed sighted in for me with the move and everything so I really do anything to it. I just put a new battery in the red dot scope.
The shot was at 78 yards and took out the heart. She ran about 25/30 yards.
Well gents now you have the rest of the story. I'm still around but maybe not as much. If anyone needs me send me a PM. That shows up on my phone and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

I want to wish all the members and their families a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a very HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Ray...............

Sorry about the eyeball news.  If your like, and it seems you are, you just have to adjust.  I still like my irons for close in work and some of my sets are for shots less than 50 yards.  Otherwise I need a scope.

Getting older sucks. But it beats the other choice!

Be well and enjoy the day.

Ray All the best to you and yours for the Holidays. Sometimes we just need to adjust to what were given to work with. Sorry about the news on the eyes but Im sure you will find a way to make the most of it. Al

My dad died about 8 years ago. He lived with glaucoma for many years doing the drops twice a day. He also developed a cataract in his latter years and when he was operated on to remove it I think it was a tube implanted in the eye to keep the pressure equalized in his eye and that was the end of doing drops. So while you are now getting over the shock of having the problem it may be something that can be corrected when the time is right to remove the cataract.

Wishing you best of luck and a Merry Christmas.

Glenn

A Merry and Fulfilling Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family, Ray!
My cataracts have changed my vision but are not RIPE yet. It does make iron sites a pain to use. I have a peep site to put on one of my muzzleloaders and it REALLY makes a difference.

I hope to see you around here with more of your valuable contributions.
Ron

Thanks gents for the well wishing. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Ray.............. :Red tup:

Ray I'm in the same shape your in with the eyes. if you would like to fined out if a peep site would work for you, you can go to  k&jmagnnetics.com-neodymiym ring magnets They are cheep.Stick that magnet to your rear site.That will tel you if a peep will work for you and I'll bet it will.Then you can shop for a tang or recever peep that you like.
Good luck and Merry Christmas

Don

Sorry about the eye test report Ray.  Wishing you and your family a "Merry Christmas" and a "Happy New Year too"!!

I've had two ophthamologists tell me there is no such thing as a "ripe" cataract. In fact, one of them has done more cataract surgeries than any other doctor in the South .. over 20,000. He said it's easier to take them out at an early stage. I had my first one done that way = no problems.

However, the glaucoma pressure can be controlled if it hasn't progressed very far. The drops can slow the progression.

Keep on keeping on, Ray. And don't quit hunting .. I didn't.

Amen to what Bob said... and, get on that pressure. That is no fun if ignored.

Beyond that, there are all kinds of new sights that require only one focal point 
that makes it easier with adjusting target lights to match you eye needs. 

It is disappointing that you can't do things exactly the way you always did, but, now you have the 
experience and new resources to do it a new and perhaps better way. If you love it, keep it with you. 
My Great Uncle Elmer taught me the secret to great fishing... The clue is that it ain't about catching the fish... 

Merry Christmas! :rendeer:

Thanks guys and for the replies, I'm not about to quit fighting or hunting....I'VE GOT TO ADAPT and OVER COME......

Ray..................

HAPPY HOLIDAYS :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

hawgslayer said:
Thanks guys and for the record, I'm not about to quit fighting or hunting....I'VE GOT TO ADAPT and OVER COME......

Ray..................

:Scucks:

That's the spirit!

:santa: :santa: :santa:

hawgslayer said:
Thanks guys and for the replies, I'm not about to quit fighting or hunting....I'VE GOT TO ADAPT and OVER COME......

Ray..................

A hunter friend of mine lost sight in his dominant eye, so he learned to shoot in his other.  The floater in one of my eyes has me seeing deer run by me all the time :lol:
You''ll figure out something that works I'm sure. ;)

Latest posts

Back