Barnes 250 gr TEZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bones816 said:
Which did you use?

In my .50 cal rifles I am using the 250gr Bloodlines. That was what was used this past season on 2 harvests.
I do have some .45 cal rifles that I plan to use the 200gr Bloodlines. :yeah:

Barness T-EZ 250 gr exit hole at about 45 yards using 2 pellets of T7 in a Accura V2.

2772xnQh.jpg

After more than 2 months of reading and thinking on it, I'm going to start with the Knight Bloodlines, 275 gr. I'll be using Blackhorn 209 and thinking 100-110 measured gr. A little extra weight (instead of the more common 250) in the fracturing bullet and a good load of BH should be deadly.

Great buck Travis!!! :yeah:

Bones, I think ShawnT uses the 275's... I don't know the diameter, might check with him to make sure they will fit your rifle.

I think they might be .458? :huh?:

The 250's are .452 I think...black crush rib work perfect for me in my elite and omega.

WV Hunter said:
Great buck Travis!!! :yeah:

Bones, I think ShawnT uses the 275's... I don't know the diameter, might check with him to make sure they will fit your rifle.

I think they might be .458? :huh?:

The 250's are .452 I think...black crush rib work perfect for me in my elite and omega.
Correct, the 275 is a .458. The 250 is a .452. I used the 275gn 2 seasons ago and took 2 deer within about 15 minutes. They were shot with 120gnV of BH. Both dropped where they stood. The terminal performance is something you just have to see. I am now shooting the Lehigh 452x 265gn but have not harvested a deer with them yet.

So they won’t fit in my Accura?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accura PR Bergara barrel.

Bones, I honestly have no idea what size the CVA bores typically run, I have not owned one. Maybe someone can chime in.

<I think> Shawn had a tough time loading them in his knight which is why he switched to the .452

Apparently I have a lot to learn. Why wouldn’t I assume all .50 cal barrels would be the same and that bullets would increase in gr by adding material to the bottom of the bullet making it slightly longer instead of wider?
I’m now baffled.
If I want a heavier bullet to aid in penetration, I just can’t go from 250 to 275 or 300?

Bullets that are 452 are usually for pistol like the 45 LC, and most rifles are 458 like the 45-70. The Sabot supplied with the knight bloodlines will reflect the difference. However CVA barrels are know to be tight and there is only one sabot on the market to load a 458 bullet into a 50 cal bore. That is the concern we are trying to convey. Knight offers a sample pack might want to try that first to see it they load. The other option would be to buy the new copper 265 direct from Lehigh as they are 452 and then buy you own sabots from MMP or Harvester.

Keep hearing about T/C and CVA barrels being tight. Yet my tightest bore is inside my Knight Vision.
My theory is 90% of what's being sold for inlines today are sabots and manufacturers know that snug sabots generally fly better.

So in retrospect, all fast-twist bores are being produced a little tighter nowadays. My Knight is noticeably tighter and could be the reason why Knight put them on-sale for $199 a few Decembers ago. Thinking about asking Jeff to turn that bore into a 1-66 twist and finally have my inline roundball gun.

In staying on-topic, MidwayUSA finally sent me a notification that the Hornady Interlock bullets are back-in-stock. Heard nothing but positive reviews on this 44-cal, 265gr lead-tipped bullets. Price is excellent at 37 cents also.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...ion&utm_content=view-available-product-button

Bones,

The bore on my knight ultra lite is tight too. The 275 loaded tight but it shot great. It was not so tight I needed a hammer or anything. The ash from BH helps with that some after the first shot too. Sabotloader has a couple of the UL and he shoots a couple different 458s in the bloodline and Lehigh line up.

Bore diameters vary a lot from manufacture to manufacturer and even vary some within the same model. That's a Big reason a lot of us have 2or 3, or more, different sabot on hand to get the right fit.

I'm at work right now but let me look when I get home. I might have a couple of the 275s left in one box I could send you to see how they fit. I know I have a couple full boxes but I think I have a couple in an open box. I am sure you would need to use a short starter to get them past the crown, but that is a good thing in my book. Never know but they might fit great in yours. There was a couple reasons I changed over to the Lehigh, got was just one reason. But if Lehigh was not selling the CF, I would definitely stick with the blood line with no regrets. One thing I am sure of is that you will really like the bullet terminal performance. :yeah:

Yeah, the problem with 458s is any sabot you try is going to come out to .5055 or larger. You might get a tad smaller with a T/C SuperGlide sabot but ive never measured one. Im not a big fan of a 2 petal sabot though.

ShawnT said:
Bones,

The bore on my knight ultra lite is tight too. The 275 loaded tight but it shot great. It was not so tight I needed a hammer or anything. The ash from BH helps with that some after the first shot too. Sabotloader has a couple of the UL and he shoots a couple different 458s in the bloodline and Lehigh line up.

Bore diameters vary a lot from manufacture to manufacturer and even vary some within the same model. That's a Big reason a lot of us have 2or 3, or more, different sabot on hand to get the right fit.

I'm at work right now but let me look when I get home. I might have a couple of the 275s left in one box I could send you to see how they fit. I know I have a couple full boxes but I think I have a couple in an open box. I am sure you would need to use a short starter to get them past the crown, but that is a good thing in my book. Never know but they might fit great in yours. There was a couple reasons I changed over to the Lehigh, got was just one reason. But if Lehigh was not selling the CF, I would definitely stick with the blood line with no regrets. One thing I am sure of is that you will really like the bullet terminal performance. :yeah:
That would be awesome! Thank you! I’ll pm you my address.

Worst case Bones, if they are too tight...you can go to the 250 bloodline, or 265 lehigh. I'm sure with a CR sabot you should be gtg! :yeah:

GM54-120 said:
Yeah, the problem with 458s is any sabot you try is going to come out to .5055 or larger. You might get a tad smaller with a T/C SuperGlide sabot but ive never measured one. Im not a big fan of a 2 petal sabot though.

Would it be reasonable to make 2 more cuts in the Super Glide if it did fit better?

Latest posts

Back