Barnes .290 tmz

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
has anybody shot these with any sucess? they were on sale at cabelas on tuesday (in knight packaging) and i have read some good things on them so i picked up a pack, just want some comfirmation that i made a good choice. thanks

i guess no one has any expireance with these so i will do some testing and post the results

I've shot PAPER with them but never any game. For the most part they certainly have the potential to be a very accurate bullet. I'm sure they will do their job in the field.

As quick as I get a scope on my Knight LRH, I plan on trying the 250 and 290 gr Barnes bullets. I'll let you know how they shoot. I hope good, because I bought a boatload of them from Cabelas.

yeah me too. i am going monday night so i'll let ya know

That's cool, cause I'm a ole Bama boy myself. Don't let tndeer fool you----ROLL TIDE !!!!!! I was warned by Knight to shorten the front screws for the Redfield mounts so they wouldn't bottom out, so that's holding me up.

tmz

I was useing tmz 250 with great sucess in a 50 extreme over 150 t7 but every once and a while they would fly. I popped plug and ran 5 rounds through the tube and one had a deformed tip from loading. I then took a pair of dykes and popped the tip off and my group quited down to about 2 inches at 100 with a lyman peep and a non stock iron front sight. I think that those bullets are very durable without the tip and the hollowpoint is about half way in diameter between the expander and the spitfire. My loading tip is most likely at fault but without the balistic tip I can run expanders ,tmz and spitfires without changing it. I have taken a plastic loading tip from a dead center pack and chucked it in a drill with a little valve grinding compound on it and spun it on the spitfire bullets that I am going to uses while hunting to make a softer plastic loader. I only spun it on a few bullets and then marked them so they would not get mixed up with my hunting loads. I am all for the durability of all copper bullets as when I pack in to hunt my gear can get banged around and for me it just takes out another variable. good luck and this website and all the quaility members will do nothing but improve your groups as they have done mine ,,,john,,,

i only shot a few rounds off but inbetween shots they were incredibly hard to load, to the point of the ram rod bowing while loading. the accuracy was consistant but to soon to tell.

Knight / Barns TMZ

:D Most devestating bullitt produced for todays HP inlines IMO!
But I have to agree that the stock sabots that come with them are :evil: but I started using the knight E-Z load sabots and all I can say is WOW what a differance. Also took my 2" Groups @ 100 yds. down to 1" groups @ 100 yds. Would recomind these to everyone! :D

LUNGBUSTER1
Laconia IN

REM. GEN.
120 gr. T7
250 gr. TMZ

i was able to shoot about 25 rds last sat. the accuracy is great with 100grains loose t7. i shot a round into a laundry basket of wet newspaper to check the expantion, it was the perfect 6 petal expantion as advertized. but they where still a huge pain to load, and i made sure the bore was spotless. i was looking on barnes website in the frequitly asked questions part they said the new tmz's have a redone base for easier loading, it says you can tell the differance by the fact that the old ones have a smooth concave base and the new ones have a step down base :? . think the new design is the same as the knight ez-load sabots?

lungbuster-are the ez-load sabots that much eazier to load?

3Mossy:

When I tried These for the first time they came with the yellow sabots and I thought I would have to get the sledgehammer and a piece of rebarb to drive them down the barrle, but they shot so good I wanted to stay with them becouse the way I saw it I would only need one shot if I could get the deer to within 125yds. Went back to Basspro to get more and they had them with a blue E-Z load sabot, Man no comparision they were so much better to load but still tight enough for no blowby! I found a H_ _ _ of a deal on boxes with the yellow sabots so I bought all 20 boxes they had and bought 4 pks. of the Knight ORANGE E-Z load sabots 50 to a pk. $7.00 pk. and the orange sabots shot just as good if not a little better than the blue E-Z ones that came with the 2nd box I bought. And so easy to load . And as for the proformence on deer late ML season last year I shot a nice 9pt at about 95yds and by the time the smoke cleared all I could see was him DRT right were he stood. You won't be dissapointed!!!!!

LUNGBUSTER1

GOOD LUCK & SAFE SHOOTING

lungbuster-

i took your advice and picked up some .290s in the blue EZ-laod and was amazed, i didn't even need the T handle to seat them. and i think the accuracy was even a little better, i had a 5 shot group of 2 inches at 100yards, i'll take that any day. now i just need to find some of the orange sabots (where did you find yours?) to shoot up the rest of my yellow saboted ones. thanks for the help!

:yeah:

THATS AWSOME 3MOSSY !

BOUGHT THEM THREW MIDSOUTH SHOOTERS
PAGE 62 OF THE MASTER CATALOGE

$4.91 PER 50

BASS PRO ALSO HAD THEM AT $6.99 PER 50

WWW.MIDSOUTHSHOOTERS.COM

GLAD YOU LIKED THEM!!!!!

LUNBUSTER1

Back