Barnes T ez ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How dead do you want tem, exactly? prefer to at leat have a bit of meat to pack out.
Nice shooting, by the way. :partyman:

You're right, dead is dead and I shouldn't complain too much. But since I just got past 60 I would like to make the tracking a bit easier. Actually, everything post shot easier. :)

Sorry it's been while since I've been on, I've been stuck in a tree stand bow in hand. I guess there is always a chance a bullet won't perform there are just to many variables. I know what the sst will do and ill keep keep some handy as a fail-safe but I'll try the Tez to see what it can do.

Sorry it's been while since I've been on, I've been stuck in a tree stand bow in hand. I guess there is always a chance a bullet won't perform there are just to many variables. I know what the sst will do and ill keep keep some handy as a fail-safe but I'll try the Tez to see what it can do.

I would not feel at a disadvantage with either bullet.

I have taken a few deer with the Barnes T-Ez 290gr bullets. My first was a buck at 20 yards, clear pass through, heart gone and lungs mashed, ran 30 yards like a scalded dog and fell over mid stride.
Next was a doe at 70 yards right through the lungs, pass through, bang flop. Next up was my doe this year, 105 yards, pass through, heart gone, bang flop.
These bullets have served me well and performed as advertised.
Buddy shot his elk last year with the 290gr T-ez and it also performed well. The bullet expanded and was found in off side hide, lungs shot up in that one.

markbl said:
You're right, dead is dead and I shouldn't complain too much. But since I just got past 60 I would like to make the tracking a bit easier. Actually, everything post shot easier. :)
I will be 80 in 18 months, I also prefer very short blood trails. my experience with barns TMZ was not so good I had it pencil right through the deer just behind the shoulder at 2200FPS [muzzle velocity] at 25 yds. The deer ran for 200yds with a very poor blood trail.
I have been using Lehigh Brass 200 and 250 grain bullets since then, I do not seem to be able to post pictures here or I would show you.
All the deer I have shoot with them have dropped with in a few feet except one that was running to start with and that large buck did not quite get 25 yds. and was taken from behind with a long angle shot entering at the front edge of the hip and breaking the shoulder on the other side and stopping part way through the skin of that front shoulder. I now have complete confidence in the Lehigh bullets.

I've shooting the barnes PBT for several years with happy results. I tried the sst when they came out. I dont like them at all. I had shot a doe at about 20ft right in the chest. Well 30 mins later she was still alive and i had to shoot her again. I think if pushed to fast and/or shot to close they disintegrate upon impact. A monolithic bullet like barnes, if accurate in your rifle, is the best option. My opinion.

btw the pbt are a boat tail tipped ez load. I cant shoot the flat based bullet as good. And if you are a timber hunter and dont need to shoot long range, say 100yds and in, the MZ is great. No worries about BC aerodynamics bullet drop. Check out my post on my bullet rexoved from a deer shot at 262yds.

I also had that experience with a Barns bullet this was many years a go, I was shooting 120 grains of Pyrodex at the time. It did kill the deer it was shot right through the heart and it went around 100 yds. I switched to Shock Wave bullets and then to Lehigh. If you use Lehigh try not to hit the meat, I use the bloodlines and they are twice as devastating as the Barnes.

I actually got my 700 ml going about 2 weeks before our gun season. It was liking the 240 grain xtps on top of 100 grains of bh209. I ended up harvesting 2 deer last week with that load, and I will say I was impressed. As soon as I get a chance to I will wright about it and post in pictures in the success stories.

Back