Best inlines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In order:
TC Firehawk, stainless/ walnut .50 caliber 24"
TC Thunderhawk, stainless/walnut .50 caliber 22"
TC Black Diamond, .50 XR
TC Omega .50
Traditions Tracker 209, converted to percussion, .50 caliber

Only four that I can really talk about. Favorites:
1. Knight Wolverine Extreme (209 FPJ with 26" barrel) 50 cal. Have since purchased a second striker, and a breech plug for no11 and Musket caps. SO ACCURATE!
2. CVA Accura MR-X 50 cal- (Maybe too early to put as #2, as it is new to me, but so easy to break down, clean, and remove the breech plug. Hope it shoots good)
3. Thompson Center Firehawk .54 caliber (Probably should be my #2 as it was reliable, accurate and my first muzzleloader. Harder to clean without a removable breech plug. Picky about loads with the 1:38 twist barrel.)
4. Cabela's Hawken Kit .54 caliber-Not Inline (Investarms? I think it is). 1:48" twist, pretty wood, fun project, holds sentimental value to me. Only hunted one time with it...a jack rabbit hunt. One patched round ball (.535 Hornady) to the back of the skull on the "running away" rabbit and it was over. One of my favorite shots ever. But this rifle is temperamental. Doesn't always go off. Have to keep extra nipples around as it has a tendency to flare them after several shots, and you don't know the primer isn't set all the way until you shoot and hear that click. All it did was set the primer properly and next shot goes off perfectly. Musket caps have helped a bit in this regard.

Last edited:
Probably 1 I built myself, then demonstrating to the Manufacture 1st hand out to 500yds as to what it could do. After numerous hits in a 10” round plate at 500, they were finally convinced that the fast twist 45 was indeed for real.
Proud to see them in production today.

93347EE4-CB95-49B8-B559-43C28415BA43.jpeg805E137D-FF1B-413D-8096-543F11EA3DC1.jpeg

So far all 4 of mine are pretty close. I have a Hawkin .50 cal with a green mountain 1:28” twist barrel, globe front sight and Lyman adjustable peep rear that shoots as tight a group as any of my knights with a polywad and 420 grain no excuses bullet. (3” or less at 200 with 90 grain t7)

My .50 cal knight mountaineer has a ultra light stock and adjustable rear peep with turrets and shoots the same load as the hawken just as well.

My .45 cal knight mountaineer with a 1:20” barrel shoots 75 grains pyrodex p with polywad and 385 grain (self knurled) bullets extremely well. I’m still working with this gun to build the load I want and l haven’t shot it over 100 yards or on game yet. But 1” groups aren’t uncommon

The last one is my knight LRH. I have a vortex tactical scope and leheigh conversion kit on it. I’m still building a load for this one too but so far 300 grain and 350 grain sabot no excuses seem to be what it likes. It’s heavy but I love the way this gun feels.

Most of the guys l shoot and hunt muzzies with have either mountaineers or disc extremes shooting similar loads and they all love them. I would say most of the 1:28” .50’s that are reputable or 1:20 .45’s that are reputable with the right load and sights are going to do you well.

Interesting variety of ML listed in the thread. Thanks!
My favorite is a Optima V2 LR 50 cal. It's all I need and suits me fine.

Back