Best short range deer gun (inside 150 yards)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought if I were limited to one rifle it would be a 30-06. Lethal on anything thats well hit. Flat shooting. Easy to find ammo in the remotest of places. Having said that I dont even own a 30 caliber gun. Cause Im not restricted to one gun. I smile.

When I had my shop in the panhandle of Nebr customers would ask " What is the best all around rifle ? " I told them " Here where we live the 25-06, in the foothills of Wyo 270, in the mountains 30-06" Always my answer to the question and still is..Trader

Encore 357 Max 26" Mike Bellm chamber.
CVA Scout 357 Max 14" David White rechamber.
CVA black/blue Scout 45-70 conversion converted by jimbob
For longer than 200yds or more, custom Model 700 280AI 25" Dave Tooley chamber.
The 280AI pretty much stays in the case.
All 4 are proven killers!!
did you happen to catch the ballistics on your 357 Max?

I've never shot a deer with centerfire ammunition.... only shotguns and muzzleloaders

Gun: 12 Guage H&R/New England Firearms slug gun with heavy (~10 Guage) barrel.
Very accurate with both Hornady and Lightfield slugs
Although good to 200 yards, I tried limiting my ranges to around 150 yards with Hornady 12 gauge SST 300g and 125 yards with Lightfield 2 3/4" slugs. The Lightfields made big round holes going in and out ... real thumpers.

Ultimate Firearms 50 Caliber 40X (purchased early 2000's and still going)
50 caliber 250grain Hornady SST sabot jacketed bullets shot through my Ultimate Firearms 40X with 210grains Triple 7
Although acclaimed to be good to 400+ yards, I try limiting my range to around 300 yards. Works wonders closer, too.

I'd have to go with my Marlin 30/30, Marlin 1895GS and Henry 45LC, AW. I reload for them with very good accuracy.

Latest posts

Back