BH 209 Can Capacity

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has either 8 or 10 ounces of powder depending on what vintage it is. The air is free from Hodgdon.
I needed a laugh. Thanks much.

Next question. I am measuring by weight. I am surprised how far off the marks are on the BH 209 tubes. Measured 70 grains of powder and showed about 90 grains volume in the tube. Should be 100 in volume. Is that normal?

I needed a laugh. Thanks much.

Next question. I am measuring by weight. I am surprised how far off the marks are on the BH 209 tubes. Measured 70 grains of powder and showed about 90 grains volume in the tube. Should be 100 in volume. Is that normal?
I don’t think those tubes are very accurate. Just ignore the marks and do what you’re doing.

Yeah it’s a shock when you pay $80 for an 8 oz bottle of powder then open it and it’s 2/3 full. 😢

Those tubes are volume graduated (but not accurate). As @SDK says, many guys pick a volume charge, average it and weigh charges of that ave. For me, with lot 41, 120 grV volume charges weigh 90.6 grW for a conversion factor of .755. So your 90 grV would weigh ~ 68 grW. Not too far off.

So, I am a rifle reloader. I am used to getting a can of powder that is filled 90% of the way up. I bought a can of BH209 and it was a bag of Lays. Looked to be about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full. Is that normal?
Yep, its 5lbs of crap in a 10lb sack. I consolidated mine, put a full lb in each bottle. Cut my storage space for them in half.
But yeah, its like ordering a beer & they charge you 80.00 for the beer, then only bring you half a glass.
This is where " normal " and " right " are far far apart.

It may be because of the dispensing of product into the container is... poofy? I don't know what ten (10) nor eight (8) ounces of BH209 physically occupies when dispensed into the final shipping container before Cap Screw On, Labeling, Bouncing to the Shipping Carton, yada to final settling of contents looks like. SCHOOL CIRCLE, PRIVATES. LAY'S chips are dispensed into bags with high air volume to protect the product during shipping. The net weight is stated on the outside of the bag. Only people that live on feels or took Woodshop for Higher Free Electives should be offended. Now, changes in plastic injection molds are expensive. My company pays over $100K for a production mold. Our volume size is @ 25 gallon BUTT!!! We Ain't Got No Threaded Lid & A Required Seal. Oopsie fixes cost a ton. To change the container size of a mold to fit eight ounces of BH209 into a container equivalent/comparable from the original ten (10) ounce size would be wasteful, stupid, ridiculous yadadamnyada. It doesn't take the integral f(x) by separation of parts to figure this stuff out. [paulharveyvoice] Good day. [/paulharveyvoice]

Yeah. I'm that Uncle. God Bless.

BTW, I was raised by the meanest & angriest man that I have ever met. That includes ten (10) years of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children frat while humping a M40A1 dry-humped by a fixed 10X Unertl piece of glass. I taught my last two (2) years at Stone Bay.

It may be because of the dispensing of product into the container is... poofy? I don't know what ten (10) nor eight (8) ounces of BH209 physically occupies when dispensed into the final shipping container before Cap Screw On, Labeling, Bouncing to the Shipping Carton, yada to final settling of contents looks like. SCHOOL CIRCLE, PRIVATES. LAY'S chips are dispensed into bags with high air volume to protect the product during shipping. The net weight is stated on the outside of the bag. Only people that live on feels or took Woodshop for Higher Free Electives should be offended. Now, changes in plastic injection molds are expensive. My company pays over $100K for a production mold. Our volume size is @ 25 gallon BUTT!!! We Ain't Got No Threaded Lid & A Required Seal. Oopsie fixes cost a ton. To change the container size of a mold to fit eight ounces of BH209 into a container equivalent/comparable from the original ten (10) ounce size would be wasteful, stupid, ridiculous yadadamnyada. It doesn't take the integral f(x) by separation of parts to figure this stuff out. [paulharveyvoice] Good day. [/paulharveyvoice]

Yeah. I'm that Uncle. God Bless.

BTW, I was raised by the meanest & angriest man that I have ever met. That includes ten (10) years of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children frat while humping a M40A1 dry-humped by a fixed 10X Unertl piece of glass. I taught my last two (2) years at Stone Bay.
Well, sir. Sometimes you just gotta let it out. I appreciate the input. As long as that is normal and I get all the shots I am supposed to, I ain't going to complain about it.

Coming from a crusty 20 year MSgt stuck inside a radar van in 128 degree weather, needing to take a piss without a bottle, because folks that don't like us much were hurling projectiles over the compound fence. I resemble your remarks now and again.

Well, sir. Sometimes you just gotta let it out. I appreciate the input. As long as that is normal and I get all the shots I am supposed to, I ain't going to complain about it.

Coming from a crusty 20 year MSgt stuck inside a radar van in 128 degree weather, needing to take a piss without a bottle, because folks that don't like us much were hurling projectiles over the compound fence. I resemble your remarks now and again.
God Bless. It's my fault. I have been busy with a General Dynamics [Nuke Submarine] problem, wife redesigned house from sub-floor up, oldest daughter moved back in for third time to save money with her sheppard/husky shedding luvball, yada...
This evening, I've just had time to think of my brother, Glenn, that I lost the day before my birthday in 1999. He saved lives and I took them and he was the better man by a country mile. I've always been angry that I never told him that I loved him before I lost him. I'm the youngest and he treated me like the tag-a-ling fart while he started getting into girls and I resented the loss of his instruction. Again, my fault. Too many ounces of Eagle Rare Single Barrel, sir. My fault. God how I miss him and him seeing my grown kids.
Only time I saw my father cry, not even while burying our mother.

God Bless. It's my fault. I have been busy with a General Dynamics [Nuke Submarine] problem, wife redesigned house from sub-floor up, oldest daughter moved back in for third time to save money with her sheppard/husky shedding luvball, yada...
This evening, I've just had time to think of my brother, Glenn, that I lost the day before my birthday in 1999. He saved lives and I took them and he was the better man by a country mile. I've always been angry that I never told him that I loved him before I lost him. I'm the youngest and he treated me like the tag-a-ling fart while he started getting into girls and I resented the loss of his instruction. Again, my fault. Too many ounces of Eagle Rare Single Barrel, sir. My fault. God how I miss him and him seeing my grown kids.
Only time I saw my father cry, not even while burying our mother.
I am so sorry for your loss.

I can relate to that as well. The second anniversary of my 29 year old son passing is in about 2 weeks. It is a few days after my birthday, which is not a birthday anymore because it was the last day I talked to him. I enjoy hunting, but fishing was what we did together as much as we could. Have wet a line maybe three times since then and I have no heart for it, because that part of me went with him. I have regrets as well. I felt like life was eating me up the last few years and he moved out to CO. We talked about doing things together again, but it never happened.

I will share this. My relationship with the Lord and knowing one day I will be in heaven and Jesus and him will be there to greet me, are all that keep me from losing my mind.

So, just know, you are not alone in your loss.

Andrew and Dad.jpgAndrew and Dad2.jpgAndrew and Dad3.jpg

Thanks everyone. Got charges measured out and doing group testing tomorrow with Barnes 250 & 290 T-EZ and Hornady 290 Bore Drivers.
Keep us informed on your results. I'm very curious about those bore drivers as I've got several sleeves of them and the new eldx rounds. I was supposed to get out this weekend as well but haven't received my bh209 breech plug yet.

Keep us informed on your results. I'm very curious about those bore drivers as I've got several sleeves of them and the new eldx rounds. I was supposed to get out this weekend as well but haven't received my bh209 breech plug yet.
Will do. I have some 250 grain SSTs as well, but not sure if I will get to them.

Latest posts

Back