BH209 and a few dead deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g.g.

Reaction score
looks like our season is finally winding down. this year I hunted in GA, IL and IN and was successful in taking 3 bucks (one with bow) in IL and IN. I also jerked the trigger on a FINE 8 in IL and ended up with a wounded deer. most likely just grazing brisket, but sickening none the less.

the bh209, sw 250's, harvester smooth shorts and encore 50 cal performed FLAWLESSLY in all types of temps and precipitation. In GA is rained and was warm on many of the days I had it in the field. although I didnt shoot the gun, I left it loaded for several weeks and continued to hunt. when I did get around to firing before cleaning, it went booooooommmmm without a hitch.

cleaned the gun, popped off 3 caps and headed to IL for 9 days (6 bow). temps stayed in teens and mid 20's with winds in the 20's and above every day. saw a bruiser 8 at about 100 yards with a perfect broadside shot on the first day of gun, when I got ready to shoot he started trotting after his doe and I jerked...grazed him:( found 7 drops of blood over 3 hours of tracking.

back on stand and an hour later I kill a fine IL 10pt at about 50 yards broadside. shot high shoulder and he dropped in his tracks.

back to GA for some more home grounds hunting. again did not kill anything. left gun loaded for 2 weeks (no cap of course) taking gun in house at night.

gun still had powder in it and we head to IN. temps are in teens and low 20's with wind and snow daily. gun left in truck over night. 3rd day on stand a yote comes by chasing a doe. I swung and shot him running. he didnt die but did stop and yelp. I reload and shoot him again at 125 or so yards and he dies. I reload again and kick back thinking my day is done. then a FINE IN 10 pt comes in with nose to ground on doe's trail!!! I bust him broadside at 30 yards quartering away. bullet goes in ribs DESTROYING the boiler room.

I will clean the gun in the next few days...knowing it will be fine to sit another day or 2.

thanks for all the help with getting away from 777.

IL 10pt...TC 50 cal, ML BH209, SW 250, Harvester Smooth Shorts
DSC00746.jpg

IL 9pt...bowkill...me on left
DSC00667.jpg

IN coyote that bit it (cell pic)
1212081157a.jpg

and my largest buck to date
IN 10pt...TC 50 cal, ML BH209, SW 250, Harvester Smooth Shorts
10ptin.jpg

10ptin2.jpg

mein2.jpg

mengaryin2.jpg

Congratulations g.g., those are some fine looking animals. Now you can see how much carbon is in your breech plug.

Busta said:
Congratulations g.g., those are some fine looking animals. Now you can see how much carbon is in your breech plug.

youre not kidding! it is full. I bought another just in case, but left the old one in since I could see through.

will drill it out for sure

Hey g.g., those are some nice deer! Congratulations to all involved. Looks like you had a super season. Also, that coyote has some unique coloration to it. Looks to have a lot of black fur on him. Way to go all around!

congrats g.g.! those are some dandy bucks and a beautiful black coyote. im from illinois and was just curious where in illinois and indiana you were huntin. congrats again!!

fastnflat1 said:
congrats g.g.! those are some dandy bucks and a beautiful black coyote. im from illinois and was just curious where in illinois and indiana you were huntin. congrats again!!

SE IL in white and gallatin counties and far north IN in miami county

GG:
Sooooo...that's what a 10 point looks like........Congratulations & all I can say is..."WOW"!

Art Sehnke :wink:

thanks folks, it was a fun season for sure. maybe just maybe have one more trip up the sleeve too :)

Latest posts

Back