bh209 clean up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsmen

Reaction score
what do you clean with? i heard hoppe's is ok but i'm not a fan of that stuff (smells good but old tech imho). what about breakfree powder blast? shooters choice? regular black powder solvent?

I use Hoppes--old stuff actually still works sometimes. What a surprise.

Western Powders recommends B209 Cleaning Solvent, by Montana X-Treme. But they would--they own the company :wink:

I have been using Hoppe's #9, Copper solvent. The first time I saw BH209 being used my buddy fired 12 shots thru his rifle and by the time I walked to the 100 yard target board to pull the targets, he had cleaned his rifle with a TOTAL of 5 patches, that was one of the reasons I decided to start using BH209 myself, besides the accuardy. It usually takes me about 7 or 8 patches.
Actually you can use any of the solvents designed for use with centerfire rifles. As you know, they don't recomend using a water based cleaner.

Redbird2

Western makes a special cleaner for it and it really is excellant,I also used Bore Shine and it work OK good old Hoppes #9 also works OK. Lee

ANY powder solvent(POWDER solvent, not COPPER solvent) you would use for a typical centerfire is fine for Blackhorn.

Latest posts

Back